#PMChallenge - And the winner is...

1. PranavaRastogi Donut Mar 12, 2019

B.yashaswi likes this.
  2. R1516767787195 Cupcake Mar 12, 2019

3. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 12, 2019

Ruby G., Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hey @B_Wrath and @alessiodales,

I've chatted with you guys before and know you're good people, so I wanted to share my POV. This claim was actually one of the things we anticipated people wondering about. Think about it - it's impossible for full time R&D team professionals to not overlap in some ideas with our users since we also source from bug reports and online surveys etc. If you see any such "idea stealing" in future devices, please specifically call it out your suspicions. We have documentation that we can bring out as needed to verify our timeline etc.

@Gary C. and his team put in time from their development schedule to do an activity with the community like this and @David Y. and I worked for weeks to develop and get approval for this idea for the benefit of our community. We have many other channels for feedback and don't need a contest to source this info :) I understand if some people don't agree with the final winner, but for it to be regarded as "sketchy," is not a thought that I'd like to leave any question about.

4. B_Wrath Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

B_Wrath, Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hey Ruby:) thanks for your POV. Much appreciated.
    Though I have voiced my concerns, I have nothing against you, David and Gary. I do know that you people are one of the most dedicated people I know of.
    While my post may seem negative, it is just that, in real world these sort of things are common and is well known of. I am sure you can provide the needed proofs if any conflict arises.
    I just want to know if the people will be given credit if any such idea was selected from one of the PMC threads or even a feature already in development was enhanced with an idea from one of these threads.

And Ruby, you are the sweetest staff I know and I admire you a lot. Please don't take my post against you. I can never do that to you. I'm sorry if I have offended you:oops:

Bobbie63, GopalB., mahyunk and 4 others like this.
  5. Gary C. OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Mar 12, 2019

Stickied Post
    Gary C., Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hi all,

Seeing some of the points raised by some in this thread, I’d like to add some information:

We considered the risk of some users being displeased with the selection, and while there are other features we considered, we ultimately decided to go with @Its.Leandroo’s entry for its closeness to our own core values. UI/UX is a key element of the OS, that can have a serious impact on how the user perceives the software, even to a subconscious level and also something really close to our heart.

To give a bit more insight into our selection process, we rated each valid entry according to its PRD’s quality, how frequently that feature would be used, how much the community liked it and its novelty factor (if they were entirely new or just improvements on already existing features). After having ranked them, we went through the top contenders, looking into several aspects, namely how they would fit our software and brand philosophy, if there were similar features already put into place or if they were already on our roadmap. While some were cut for the aforementioned reasons, we ended up with several worthy contenders and ultimately had to choose between one of them. Still, those that did not win will still be considered for future implementation. For transparency, these are the ones that have been passed internally:

@FlixbusLennart’s #PMChallenge - Reworked Notification Management

@YRJ’s [UPDATED] #PMChallenge The Unsung Hero: Alert Slider and Customization!

@Marcinbauer’s #PMChallenge + Multitasking the OnePlus way - faster +

@stateandrei5’s #PMChallenge - Desktop Mode

While this doesn’t mean those features will end up being added, we will be more than glad to give recognition to those behind them, if they are indeed implemented.

Also, to address the claims that picking this winner was taking the easier way out: Shaping a product isn't easier than introducing a new feature. Implementing Léandro’s tweaks in a consistent manner across the entire OS takes time and effort. Our decision making was focused on basic features (as in, easy to use, not easy to implement) that have bigger impacts on most users' daily use and, most importantly, features that benefit the majority of our users.

We truly appreciate the hard work so many of you put into your proposals, but we do not believe that picking @Its.Leandroo ’s entry does any disservice to the ones that did not make the cut. It was a truly well thought entry that fully aligns with OxygenOS team’s philosophy. The overall positive response to it also reassures us about the decision we made.

6. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 12, 2019

7. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 12, 2019

Ruby G., Mar 12, 2019 :
    Aww thank you, your words are very sweet. I know you didn't mean any ill will~

[​IMG]

G_plusone, Bobbie63, GopalB. and 4 others like this.
  8. David Y. Community Manager Staff Member Mar 12, 2019

David Y., Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hey Wrath, if you are asking for giving credit to those PMC ideas which may be seen on our future software implementation, we are more than happy to do it. Because we are making a feature that our community wants, I don't see why not doing so unless we missed giving the shoutout. Do remind us when you spot one.

9. alessiodales Gingerbread Mar 12, 2019

alessiodales, Mar 12, 2019 :

Well said :)

B_Wrath likes this.
  10. mit2nil Froyo Mar 12, 2019

mit2nil, Mar 12, 2019 :
    Congratulations to the winner. I may be mistaken but I didn't understand the winning proposal and how it is different than oxygen OS based on android pie 9.0. Much of his screenshots, look same with very minor tweaks compared to existing design. Proposal also started by emphasizing benefiting all ages including old. I don't see how proposed design changes helped. Are there any side by side comparison of screenshots from proposal vs actual screenshot in iOS based on pie?

11. Hebbnag Gingerbread Mar 12, 2019

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  12. B_Wrath Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

B_Wrath, Mar 12, 2019 :
    [​IMG]
    :)
    That's really great to hear:) thanks David! :) cheers:cool:
    [​IMG]

13. gurhano Cupcake Mar 12, 2019

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Mar 12, 2019 :
    There is nothing wrong with the contest as such, just that they shouldn't have asked for a "feature". they are trying to implement a new design as per this thread:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/how-we-designed-the-new-ui-of-oxygenos.889458/

if they were looking for ideas to improve the same, people would have still contributed with nice ideas.

but instead of choosing a 'feature", they ended up picking one that is a design improvement suggestion. and it won't be wrong to say that is probably what they were looking for in the 1st place. they have clearly mis-worded the contest and never made an attempt to correct it.

I also don't think they are going to implement any of the features that were suggested, so the question of giving due credit doesn't also arise.

B_Wrath likes this.
  15. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Mar 12, 2019

dsmonteiro, Mar 12, 2019 :
    Sorry, but that is simply not true. There was never an attempt to crrect anything because the contest was never mis-worded to begin with.

Your opinion is that another feature should win. That's perfectly fine. But casting doubt on the contest itself because of it is unfair to say the least.

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

exactly. while I look forward to how they will eventually implement the suggestions the winning entry made, it definitely isn't one the contest was asking for, based on how it was presented.

they should be honest with what they intend to do. Xiaomi recently listed all the new features that they will be implementing based on community feedback. despite already being a feature rich software, some of the new features are clearly a change they are making based on user feedback.

while I don't know the process they adopted to obtain suggestions, but they are atleast listening to their users, and not using eyewash strategies that OnePlus has repeatedly employed.

I'll include the link to their new features (I read that article recently and i am looking for it).

nyzproof333 and YRJ like this.
  17. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

the contest was about adding a new feature. can you tell me what new "feature" the winning entry brings to OOS?

nyzproof333 and YRJ like this.
  18. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Mar 12, 2019

dsmonteiro, Mar 12, 2019 :
    As the winning thread explains far better than me, it's a reworked UI/UX. Many of the entries were improvements on already existing features, like changing how gestures or the alert slider work. How is this any different?

Again, you're free to disagree. I'm just pointing out that your claims of foul play are unfounded and untrue.

Android450, script and YRJ like this.
  19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

they are in the process of redesigning OOS and found it convenient to pick one suggestion that would contribute to that. redesigning UI/ UX isn't a feature, especially along the lines suggested brings no new feature to the OS.

adding new gestures or customising alert slider (like @YRJ suggested) would definitely qualify as a feature because they bring something new to the table, not available elsewhere. there was one excellent thread on notification management too which would qualify as a feature.

when you run a contest for a feature, you should pick one if you really mean it.

nyzproof333, mahyunk and YRJ like this.
  20. YRJ KitKat Mar 12, 2019

YRJ, Mar 12, 2019 :
    In short, it was an awesome contest just that they got the naming wrong.
    A short description of what they meant by the word 'feature' plus what they expected from us, would do the trick!