#PMChallenge - And the winner is...

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Mar 12, 2019 :
    they don't even have the courtesy to admit the error (assuming it isn't deliberate).

they are instead going around justifying with stories, as we have some kindergarten kids in the forum who will draw some "positivity" out of it. good luck to them.

nyzproof333, SJBoss and YRJ like this.
  2. YRJ
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

YRJ , Mar 12, 2019 :
    It hardly matters anymore.
    The contest started, the entries flooded in and finally it closed. We now have a winner too....
    All that we can/should do now is give credit where due, appreciate the winner's contribution and dedication towards his thread and move on.

I cannot deny that from a designer's point of view his efforts and determination was commendable and as Flixbus Lennart said: The process was time consuming and it involved a lot of refining to arrive at the final product so I appreciate his efforts and how he paid attention to quality!

Honestly speaking there is no one to blame.
    Because they clearly stated that THEY will choose what suits them the best, leaving absolutely no room for arguments.

If I was to be involved in the selection process, I would shortlist the complete and quality entries then let the community vote on what they REALLY want, maybe then I would think over what goes hand in hand with the likes of the community and developers. That is the medium I would adopt
    But the bullet was fired and this conversation is not fruitful anymore.
    Maybe another day, another thread.......

3. AnunciPronunci
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2019

AnunciPronunci , Mar 12, 2019 :
    I just read the post and it's so clear why you won! I love the attention to detail, congratulations!

dsmonteiro likes this.
  4. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Mar 12, 2019 :
    full credit to the winner for the efforts, attention to detail and presentation.

I have participated in several of the entries, and I feel bad for them, not because they didn't win, but because their efforts were entirely focussed on the mis-worded contest.

that said, I want them to know that they are being watched. they can't take the community for a ride they didn't ask for. they better be careful going forward.

SJBoss, mahyunk, B_Wrath and 2 others like this.
  5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Mar 12, 2019

dsmonteiro , Mar 12, 2019 :
    That was an ongoing discussion regarding the same principle but related to The Lab selection process. People couldn't agree to it and there were serious concerns about cheating and people voting on the people, not the entry. I have no personal opinion on this matter, though.

YRJ likes this.
  6. Pef3369
    Eclair Mar 12, 2019

7. ascovit
    Eclair Mar 12, 2019

8. YRJ
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

YRJ , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Tell me why I did not see that coming.... :tearsofjoy:
    You don't forget stuff eh!? :rolleyes: Nice memory :cool:
    Even though I am not for polls,
    A poll here would make sense, don't you think?
    While I know it may have undesirable consequences and favouritism may seep in but still it would give the Devs a fair idea of what the community wants. (ok, to an extent :oops: )
    And hey, it's always a joint vote. isn't it?
    50% community and 50% staff.

Since you did give reference to the Lab brainstorm, I think we should have a poll for the lab as we never know which entry is whose, it's impossible to guess in that case. :D

9. Pef3369
    Eclair Mar 12, 2019

dsmonteiro likes this.
  10. YRJ
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

YRJ , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Thanks a ton for the recognition @Gary C. My efforts did not go in vain, indeed.

One thing though.... If my idea ever makes it to the device (hoping) will I get prize!? :D
    Me want prize!
    You don't have to answer though I was kidding, although I wouldn't mind a device :rolleyes:

I won't talk about the winning feature but thanks to this contest and special thanks to @Ruby G. @David Y. And you ofc!
    This was a new experience, it put me in the shoes of a product manager something that I never imagined of impersonating!
    From thinking to execution and finally to the people liking the idea, it was a joyride and something I will surely remember in the long run!
    Thanks again.

P.S. I did not get the tag notification :p
    Also, I know that you use the app. So David please fix this. ;)

Ruby G. and buntycubal like this.
  11. amitay1307
    Donut Mar 12, 2019

12. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 12, 2019

Ruby G. , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hey @YRJ and @Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

From your posts, I am starting to consider whether there are cultural differences in the understanding of what the word "feature" entails. I tried to find some reputable sources that reflect my understanding, feel free to check out.
    Please do continue to keep a close eye on everything we do and call out your suspicions. That is the power and benefit of open web. Clear, open dialog is always my personal preference for maintaining empathy in our community (vs people misunderstanding/making insinuations and just leaving :()

13. YRJ
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

YRJ , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hi Ruby,
    Thanks for the response, it highlights 2 things:
    First, that you're reading and secondly that you do care of the opinion of others!

Well the literal meaning never made sense to me, so to me the word 'feature' means: an interactive part of the product, something that is not just great to look at but provides the user with added uses and functionality!

I have seen some mixed reactions in the link that you shared, maybe I don't get it right but to me it still sounds as if, a feature is an interactive part of the software that works in coordination with the UI and UX, has functionality and portability.
    Something that adds value to existing software, derived of user demands.

I come out as the bad one here but the design alone does not tick all boxes.
    Cultural differences, I don't really know.....
    But when I first read of the PMChallenge, my understanding was that I have to put forward something that not only looks and sounds good but adds functionality and enriches the experience of the users, all while being burdenless, this idea was what gave rise to the idea of customising alert slider, as I felt that it's capable of a lot more than what it's doing now!
    In the long run it gives flexibility to the user and also helps them use an attribute their own way.
    Giving the user a feeling that "yes, this is what Oxygen OS is fresh as air! " and in my opinion that's satisfaction and a clear win for the developer who put in their time and efforts and user who extracted the potential. It is then that their efforts are truly paid off!

As always, you amaze me.
    You could have easily ignored this but you chose to add in meaning into this and hopefully take something back to the team.
    I said it earlier, I say it again Leandroo is a deserving winner but his idea had to be sandwiched with a use case idea maybe then we would truly appreciate and embrace Oxygen OS built by us. :)

14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 13, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Mar 13, 2019 :
    @Ruby G.

first of all, you are well aware that this community is a diverse group of people from all backgrounds and "cultures", so when running a contest, it is your responsibility that the message or requirements are very clear and without ambiguity.

and when a very common term is used, don't expect people to refer to dictionaries to see if it could have other meanings, because they really don't expect you to misuse the application of the term later so you can justify them via those sources (I am not saying you did this, but saying in general).

that said, there is nothing in those links that give a new meaning to "feature". a "feature" is still an enhanced functionality of a product, in this case OOS, and the winning entry doesn't bring that to the table. an enhancement is UI/ UX may make for a better user experience (I said 'may' because it is a subjective issue), but it doesn't add to the functionality of the software.

the winning entry is a well thought out and well presented thread, and I hope it is implemented in future designs. but the fact remains it doesn't bring any new "feature" or enhanced functionality of the software, which the contest was all about.

it is well known that your software team is in the process of redesigning the UI, and you found it convenient to pick one that aids in that process, but you forgot the fact that this contest was not about that.

as with using strong words, this isn't the first time that the company has tried to be sneaky and it had to be called out. this community receives hundreds of feature request threads regularly, but none of them have made it to the actual software yet, and that is fine because the company isn't bound to act on such requests. but when you specifically promise to implement one, you should do it because many people have spent several hours preparing a nice presentation, only to find that none got picked up.

also, be open to the fact that people don't just leave after making insinuations. they also leave if they find someone dishonest.

nyzproof333, SJBoss and alessiodales like this.
  15. R1541939934916
    Cupcake Mar 13, 2019

16. Funk Wizard
    Lollipop Moderator Mar 13, 2019

dsmonteiro and Its.Leandroo like this.
  17. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 13, 2019

18. vaibhavd129
    Donut Mar 13, 2019

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  19. muharrem1961
    Gingerbread Mar 13, 2019