#PMChallenge - And the winner is...

1. mahyunk Froyo Mar 13, 2019

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  2. O1541191899245 Honeycomb Mar 13, 2019

O1541191899245, Mar 13, 2019 :
    Seriously It is a software feature,
    Are you Kidding me :eek::eek:
    Lol :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Man are you really seen all the threads???
    You just quoted those posts here which are mentioned in this thread by other users:tongueclosed::tongueout::tonguewink:

And just for information the YRJ guy's thread is just a compilation thread which he taken intentionally or unintentionally from previous 3 or 4 thread with the same alert slider things. :laughing::laughing:

Btw congratulations to winner,
    I should had made a thread where I just renamed Oxygen OS to Nitrogen OS and it's called feature :cool::cool:

3. O1541191899245 Honeycomb Mar 13, 2019

O1541191899245, Mar 13, 2019 :
    Wow, already some people have guts to says the truth not like others who are just sugar-coated their comments :)

4. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 13, 2019

Ruby G., Mar 13, 2019 :
    Sridhar,
    You have my deepest respect as I know you likely outpace me in job experience by 10+ years. I know from your Let's Talk entries that you have a lot of good thoughts on how things should work. We will take your feedback about making key word definitions clear. Our software team does not work with the common understanding of technical terms, but the industry understanding. But if there is a common gap in knowledge, our team should definitely work to communicate better to make sure people don't feel misled.

However, I must be firm in asserting that as someone who was actually there, the software team did not make their decision based on convenience to implement. The correlation that you draw from the timing of different posts does not lead to the causation you strongly suspect. As one of the owners of this campaign, I feel it's my responsibility to clarify any clear misunderstandings. I know from your post language that you feel the contest title was misleading, but I wish to assure you it was not deliberately so. Community trust is one of our highest priorities, and we hope that you will consider the viewpoint that differences in opinion does not reflect in moral inferiority in either party.

5. SJBoss KitKat Mar 13, 2019

SJBoss, Mar 13, 2019 :
    I’m done reading all nine pages, I didn’t wanted to jump in but couldn’t resist, so here’s my opinion not that anyone asked for it but here is it anyways.

@Ruby G.

I think @Sridhar Ananthanarayanan’s argument is valid, for your average user/consumer a new feature means extra functionality not OS refinement, the contest was for average users and not for the software team so it should’ve been according to the common understandings of all the terms that have been used.

while the winning entry is well thought out and well deserved and I would really like it to be implemented, there’s no doubt that it is indeed OS refinement and not a new “feature”.

So either the winning entry isn’t eligible or the Title was misleading (which is indeed the case I believe). but I’m not surprised that instead of accepting it they will just defend it no matter what, same old OnePlus.

Edit : the people trolling the Winner or his entry are no better, i bet none of the trolls couldn’t even imagine what Its.leandroo did,he is well deserved.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019

Bobbie63, Its.Leandroo, YRJ and 3 others like this.
  6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Mar 13, 2019 :
    They still don't have the spine to admit the error.

Haha. That was a good one. :)

7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2019

Ruby,

Thank you for your kind words.

Take any standard you want, the winning entry is NOT a feature that the contest unambiguously represented. So the question of a gap or lack of understanding does not arise.

I will still give the benefit of doubt to you, but as I said, some of my strong statements were purely on account of the fact that this isn't the first time something of this nature has happened. But at least take responsibility and own up to the mistake. The community would be more than willing to understand and cooperate.

Some clarifications:

1. Winning entry deserves full appreciation and respect. But it wasn't what the contest was looking for. Don't play around with words and terminology.

2. Unlike what @dsmonteiro pointed out, my objection is not on why you chose one feature over another. I would have never written anything if that was the case, as I would leave that decision to the wisdom (or the lack thereof) of the selection committee. My objection is towards the fact that you picked up an entry that doesn't qualify the objective of the contest in the first place - "feature".

3. We fully appreciate your efforts and your initiatives. There were so many interesting things that happened in this community after you came. No one is blaming you on a personal level. It is a collective decision making error of your team.

4. The least you can do is to consider implementing any of the suggested feature (a real one) and I will just take the risk of saying this on behalf of the community - we don't want any gifts or credits in return.

O1541191899245, Ruby G. and YRJ like this.
  8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2019

No one trolled the winner or his entry. Everyone is appreciative of it.

O1541191899245 and alessiodales like this.
  9. SJBoss KitKat Mar 13, 2019

SJBoss, Mar 13, 2019 :
    the guy you just quoted did. I don’t care if it was just a joke it was still offensive.

EDIT
    No more discussion on that though, I don’t wanna derail the thread.

alessiodales likes this.
  10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2019

that was clearly targeting the selection committee, not the entry.
    e.g.

in an examination, the question asked for describing the Indian Military might.

one of the answers was describing the American Military might.

you don't give marks for that answer, no matter how impressive it is. because the answer doesn't relate to the question asked.

fine we end it here.

O1541191899245, alessiodales and YRJ like this.
  11. YRJ KitKat Mar 13, 2019

YRJ, Mar 13, 2019 :
    @dsmonteiro already has, succinctly commented on that. It probably doesn't take a genius to understand that a contest of such high magnitude will have overlapping ideas.
    As far as tagging my entry is concerned both Ruby and David have clarified via PM that when overlapping ideas are found they will be judged on the basis of quality and how well it answers the PRD and adheres to the requirements of the same.

It's funny that this question arises even after this is officially over. I would gladly encourage this discussion had I won. As it is not the case let's bury the hatchet once for all.

12. Its.Leandroo The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 13, 2019

Its.Leandroo, Mar 13, 2019 :
    I don't want to be rude or anything, but as someone who's been in the industry for about 10 years now, I can confirm design (or a rework, for that matter) can actually be seen as a feature.

A feature is a functional part of a product, in this case: design is a part of OxygenOS as a product.

Aside from the fact that I submitted a rework, it does include multiple features/enchancements of existing features, like multi-tasking having suggested apps, the launcher having extra grid options and folders, the setup including personalization and the ability to select first-party apps to install right away, to name a few.

Aside from that, criticism is always welcome, so things may be improved later on.

script and Ruby G. like this.
  13. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 13, 2019

you have actually been very polite and exhibited maturity in your conduct. so cheers for that.

I hope you haven't considered me as being rude, but I took the risk to convey a message in the larger interest of the community. I am sure many people have stayed away so they don't come across as being rude to you, and I have already made my points, so there isn't much to add.

once again, congratulations and I want to assure you that your entry has my respect and appreciation.

Raghavkma, Ruby G. and Its.Leandroo like this.
  14. nyzproof333 Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2019

nyzproof333, Mar 13, 2019 :
    upload_2019-3-13_11-49-7.jpeg

15. yashwant24 Donut Mar 13, 2019

16. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Mar 13, 2019

dsmonteiro, Mar 13, 2019 :
    No, we don't. Not on the screen part, nor on the naming part.

This is just a render made by a user. It proves or disproves nothing.

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  17. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 13, 2019

18. vincent.liu Eclair Mar 14, 2019

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  19. O1551676891148 Cupcake Mar 14, 2019

Its.Leandroo likes this.
  20. abhijitdas154 Eclair Mar 14, 2019