#PMChallenge ANTI-THEFT FEATURE

1. neilchauhan2 Donut Feb 5, 2019

neilchauhan2, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    This feature is going to be beneficial for everyone.

What is the proposed function?
    So, after a lot of debate over this idea in the comment section, I have come up with a PART - 2 of this idea. So, PART - 1 and PART - 2 of this idea together would ensure that the device is in the right hands.

PART - 1:

At some point of time of life we all visit crowded places, and the biggest pain at those places is the threat of theft. I remember last year I was travelling to college in a very crowded bus and someone inside the bus stole my phone. I tried a lot to find the location of the phone, so that I could get back my phone but I was unable to do so. Something similar happened with my dad as well, he lost his OnePlus 3t. Its very painful when you lose your device and you couldn't find it.
    So, the Part - 1 of the idea is having two phases:
    Phase - 1
    We know that the OnePlus devices have an awesome face recognition and fingerprint scan feature, so it would be great if we could utilize these features to find whether the device is in some wrong hands. Let's go into the details of this feature. So, according to my feature we can register the SIM card inside the phone's internal storage the very first time the user boots up the phone, or at a later stage when he feels like migrating to a new network, such that even if someone tries to factory reset the phone, the device still knows which SIM was placed inside the device. Only the user who owns the device can register any new SIM cards whenever he wants. Now to register the SIM card the phone does two authentications: 1. Face Recognition 2. Fingerprint Scan. After the authentication is done the user can register the SIM card and use it, this way the device would know which SIM cards are owned by the user and are valid to be used.

Phase - 2
    Now each time someone tries to place a new SIM card in the SIM card slot which is not registered by the user, and turns on the device, the phone will perform a double authentication: 1. Face Recognition 2. Fingerprint Scan. Once the authentication is done and the device knows the user is trying to add a new SIM card is an authentic user the device will add the new SIM card and register it, but in case the authentication fails, the device would automatically turn on the location which can not be turned off until the original owner of the phone performs the authentication. Now the phone will constantly send the location of the device on some secondary devices which the user can register at the time of SIM card registration. Now this location can be used to trace the device and return the device to the original owner of the phone.

i1.jpg i2.jpg i3.jpg

PART - 2:
    So, according to part - 2 of this idea, if the OnePlus team develops an app where users can register their devices using the IMEI number of their devices, the app would show the location of the device at all points of time. Now, even if someone factory resets your phone, or tries to root it, or performs any other hack, he would never be able to erase the IMEI number and in this way the owner of the device would get to know where his phone is. Now, someone in the comment wrote that now a days thieves don't use the phone for communication, which means they don't require a SIM card to use the phone, in that case the part - 2 of this idea would definitely work out, as the thief would require internet access to watch videos or play video games, and even if he does not, he would definitely require internet at some point of time, and as soon as the device gets internet access, it can send information about the location on the app and the owner will get to know where the device is.
    So, in this way its going to be a double trap for the thief, if he adds a New SIM card, part - 1 of the idea would be executed and the owner would get to know. And, if he tries to use the phone without the SIM card, part - 2 of the idea would get executed, and the owner would get to know about his device.

What is the user value?
    All the users having a tough time keeping their phone secure from theft would be really happy. Me personally as a user and my dad who lost his OnePlus 3t would be happy as well, as we don't have to worry for the security of our phones. I believe this feature would definitely make lives of people living in a crowded area or travelling around a crowded area a lot easy. If both part -1 and part - 2 of the idea are implemented its going to be a win - win situation for everyone.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Don't know about the current scenario, but earlier when touch phones were introduced there used to be a feature similar to this, where every time a new SIM card is placed in the device the user gets notification on their secondary devices. But the problem was, that due to lack of technology at that time, that method was very inefficient.
    So, if part - 1 and part - 2 are used together its going to be a feature which only the OnePlus devices are going to have, which other competitive companies lack and in this way the OnePlus team can take a lead over other companies. The anti - theft feature is something which has been overlooked by every company. So, this feature can definitely give the OnePlus team a lead.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

2. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 5, 2019

3. rameshshreyas Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 5, 2019

4. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 5, 2019

KeepTransisting, Feb 5, 2019 :
    That would indeed be nice. Something that basically says the IMEI keeps checking in with Google's servers until the device is un-reported as "Lost". But still, this would be best for Google to implement natively with Android instead of an OEM trying to add it in.

5. neilchauhan2 Donut Feb 5, 2019

@KeepTransisting android sends tracking information to the user only when the user's account is signed up with the device, but once someone steals your phone, factory resets it and sign up with a new account, you won't receive any information about the device. In that case this method, that I have stated would still work since its going since its going to be OxygenOS special feature for OnePlus devices and not a general android feature. Please read carefully everything has been appropriately mentioned.

6. neilchauhan2 Donut Feb 5, 2019

@rameshshreyas you can read it, I've already mentioned a way to encounter the factory reset issue.

7. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 5, 2019

And what I'm telling you is that it wouldn't even matter, because if someone is going to steal and factory reset, you bet you're butt they can just root it before restarting it and disabling this stuff. Doing this on an OEM level would make it easily disable-able if you have root / recovery access. Building the integration deep within the OS, though, would be the best bet, and that's something that would be done best by Google

The fact of the matter is, though, that if someone steals your phone, 9/10 times they can find a way around device tracking with a simple google search.

8. rameshshreyas Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 5, 2019

rameshshreyas, Feb 5, 2019 :
    What if someone keeps the sim intact, but locks the phone after putting the wrong passwords and asked to factory reset the phone to use it, then it would work fine.

9. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Feb 5, 2019

camohan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Here is a practical scenario that is what I have heard thieves do.

Whenever they steal a mobile, they do not attempt to use sim card, thieves like germs and bacteria adapts their skill sets to match the latest technology. They throw away the sim card and use the device for watching videos, listening music, playing games, etc.

The time is gone when thieves used to steal phones to use it for communication. They very well know how easy it is to trace them.

I am not trying to dodge your recommendation, I am just trying to explain that this method is not fool proof.

KeepTransisting likes this.
  10. Arshad_Shaik_ Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

Arshad_Shaik_, Feb 5, 2019 :
    we do want this feature.the idea above said is super good.i doo have an idea.The person who stoles the phones will try unlock password or facelock .or he tries to switch off.only the owner should be able to switch off the phone by the face unlock .when the wrong person tries it immediately find my phone should sent the location details and the stolen person photo to his owner mail for helping the owner to find his phone and also some other number that is registered for security purposes.please OnePlus please create this feature we have a fear of losen the ultimate performer(OnePlus) the best mobile at present days and want to be best for century

11. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 5, 2019

But they can just turn off the phone by holding the power button for ten seconds, a safety feature that's built into practically all Android devices.

12. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Feb 5, 2019

camohan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    What happens if phone freezes and the face unlock or fps is not working. How would you bring it back to life?

otto2 and KeepTransisting like this.
  13. pbruparel Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

14. neilchauhan2 Donut Feb 6, 2019

neilchauhan2, Feb 6, 2019 :
    After a lot of debate over the issues with this idea, I have come up with a part - 2 of this idea. I hope this covers all your queries.

15. siva11qa Donut Feb 11, 2019

siva11qa, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Well, believing that can't erase IMEI number is just an ignorance and lack of updated technology, now a days all professional gangs the moment they steals they turn of the device and exports it to different state or country, and they change the IMEI number before selling it as second hand or refurbished mobiles.

In above case neither of the part will not work, but by considering the matter of fact that all lost mobiles are not stolen by professionals, in many cases it's by small thives or who got the opportunity to lift it coz of owners carelessness. So part 2 helpful for these 2nd scenario cases

Samsung phones have some similar protection features like
    ✓u can't turn off with out unlocking the device
    ✓it captures the photo every time u fail to unlock

Apart from that Google find Device app will help u to locate where ur device last seen.

So if one plus implements a feature with in OS itself that prevents factory reset or SIM change unless untill proper authentication some thing apples ID along with above described Samsung and Google features

16. neilchauhan2 Donut Feb 11, 2019

neilchauhan2, Feb 11, 2019 :
    @siva11qa, first of all I don't understand what do you mean by professionals? I mean, is it a new field, or are you trying to say that professional software developers have acquired this field as their side business. Okay, for a matter of fact let us consider that according to you some software developers might give up their software profession to pursue this business of stealing phones. Now let us suppose they steal your phone and erase the IMEI number, and sell it to some other country. Now even if you would get to know where your phone is, in this case the country where the "professional gang" sold your phone. Would you really take some actions to get your phone back from that particular country, the amount of money you'll have to invest could easily get two to three new phones, or even more than that.
    So, coming back to the point, this feature is specifically for the country where the owner resides, because getting back your phone from a foreign country would not be a smart idea. Point number two, If you live in a country like India, most phones are stolen while travelling in bus, or any other public transport and the people doing such stealing activities are not computer scientists, hackers, or software developers. They are just small thieves, that possess only the amount of knowledge that is available on youtube. Point number three, if you believe that professionals perform such activities, I don't think someone would waste their knowledge in stealing phones, they would rather go for a big target.

So, please do not spam the post unless and until you have relevant points. If you got something which is better than this idea, I would suggest that you share it with the OnePlus in you own post under this challenge, so that it could help out people. Unnecessarily spamming someone's post with useless points is like wasting time.

17. The1Lion Lollipop Feb 11, 2019

The1Lion, Feb 11, 2019 :
    I can think of one "simple" way to kind of work with an idea, but it's more hardware than software. With all the "popup" cameras, why not do something similar with a sim tray? Pop it out or slide it out to allow sim placement but once it's back in the phone "lock it" unless the owner unlocks it. No pin hole to pop it out. Prevents a thief from getting the sim out unless they are willing to tear apart the phone.

Problem is once again however, if a reboot into recovery and reset or custom ROM is flashed, how do you prevent the function of ejecting the SIM tray? Also, with all the great technology that we have, those who want to use it for questionable purposes will find a way. Sometimes a "solution" isn't a fool proof one but it makes it more difficult and hopefully makes it more likely a thief will pass and try for easier bait ;)

neilchauhan2 likes this.
  18. Arghus Donut Feb 13, 2019

Arghus, Feb 13, 2019 :
    Yeah, i agree it finally needs an improvement,
    The current state of things it's quite a joke and it may be useful only if you lost the phone, not if it was stolen..

A better system should be implemented by Google by registering a phone's UniqueID(IMEI, MAC address) and directly linking it to a Google account,
    so even if wiped once the device is turned on,
    it activates the gps unit like offline gmaps and
    alerts the Google account associated with said UniqueID
    possibly even snap pictures to help with the phone retrieval.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019