#PMChallenge - App Specific Usage limits

1. jimmy_j
    Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

jimmy_j , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Background

As a heavy mobile user (and an android tech savvy) I usually find myself lost in time when I use certain apps like 9gag or Instagram or PUBG. This is not a problem that only one or two people face. I know multiple people suffering from so-called "mobile addiction". The real problem is not realizing that I have an addiction, the real problem is that even though I find myself in such a condition, I feel helpless to fight the situation. When the apps that made me addicted, calls me from a short distance I feel powerless to resist the urge to use the apps, especially in a device like one plus with the lightning fast oxygen os.

The Solution

What if Oxygen Os gives us a way to control our usage for each individual app? what if there is a way to see how much time a user is spending on each app, a way to limit the usage to a certain time, if required forcefully? That will be awesome!!

It will empower the user to do more, increase his productivity, make time for his family and friends and for himself. Oxygen OS was always about the user. Such a feature will highlight the user-friendly nature of Oxygen os to the next level.

Who are the Users

Every mobile addict which will definitely be more than 75% of one plus users.

What is the proposed function

Like explained above a way to manage individual app usages.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior

Currently, I have seen a similar feature in the YouTube app where we can set a limit on hours we use the app. Once the limit is reached the app will show an alert.
    The proposed feature is not app specific. It can be applied to any app. Instead of just showing an alert it lets us snooze or close the app or edit the time settings(more power to the user)
    Also, there is a setting in which the user can be adamant about his decision and ask oxygen os to stop the app after the pre determined time.

The logic

Use a timer to get the usage of each selected app. And taking necessary steps when the specified time reaches.

Design

Rough sketch attached with this thread.

When the preset usage time is over, the app will be blured and there will be options for user to snooze, close the app, or adjust the time settings.

The time settings will be in app info screen so it is easy to access(by long tapping the app)

In the time settings we can also see the statistics of app usage(Daily, Weekly and Yearly) in a graph.

For more determined users there will be an option to forcefully close the app after some time of usage.

Attached Files:

Crystal Z. likes this.
  2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Already implemented in Android P. It is called Digital Wellbeing. You can edit your post to something that doesn’t exist on OOS.

jimmy_j likes this.