#PMChallenge Automatic stories generator

1. ashwin.243 Honeycomb Feb 6, 2019

ashwin.243, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Hello OnePlus Team and fellow OnePlus Forum members
    There is a feature that I would want in my OnePlus device (OxygenOS) and I feel that it would create an ease for other OnePlus users as well.

1. Who are the users?
    Every user who takes a good amount of pictures from their mobile phone camera is a user of this feature.

2. What is the proposed function?
    We click photos every day on our phone but when the quantity of the photos is large, on a particular day, then either that day is a family outing, or a wedding or an experiencing worth capturing a lot of moments. Obviously the clicks can be enriched by the system automatically choosing the best of the pics and then creating a story out of it. A new section in the Gallery app with the name, Stories will show all the stories created by the system based on the photos clicked in the past

3. How this feature can be implemented?
    It would work like, the system monitors the amount of pictures taken every day and if the quantity passes the considerable number then the system creates a story of the automatically picked pictures from that day with a title of that day and a subtitle like, "happy moments" or something like this. This shall also include some of the videos taken on that day. If a particular video is too large then the system can pick a small glimpse of that video and add it to that story. Along with all this, the system adds a sound to the story to enrich the story. The Gallery app will allow the user to export this story to a video file in the quality chosen by the user himself
    Of course, this feature will come with complete customization. The user will be able to edit the title and the subtitle of the story. Also, the user can customize the fonts and placing of the title and the subtitle. Moving on, the user will have the option to change the pictures and videos in the story in the edit section of the story. If a glimpse from a video is chosen, then the user will have the option to change the glimpse in that video within the same time frame. Complete customization will allow the user to make the story according to his creative needs. The user will also have an option to choose a sound track from a gallery of sounds from the system, and if the user wants, he can take sounds from a sound file as well.

4. What is the user value?
    I feel that such feature will create more value for the pictures taken in the OnePlus device.

5. Visual Representation
    To be honest again, this is another feature I've seen in my friend's Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and hence I will share screenshots of this feature from Samsung Experience ROM with Android O. Below are the screenshots. Please note that all the screenshots have been censored in order to protect the privacy of the person who has shared the screenshots but they are enough to understand the concept.

5(a). The screenshot below is the main screen of the stories tab in the Gallery app. This shows all the stories that the system has automatically made as well as the stories created by the user.
    Screenshot_20190206-170936_Gallery.jpg

5(b). This screenshot shows the screen when you open a particular story. On the top part (including the status bar) is the thumbnail of the story followed by a button to play it. The middle and bottom section of the screen shows the images and videos used in the story. There are 2 tabs in the middle section. The grid tab shows the images/videos in small size and the timeline tab shows the images/videos in the size of their aspect ratio.
    Screenshot_20190206-170959_Gallery.jpg

5(c). This is the short cut menu accessed by the three dots on the top right corner after opening a story. The options include, Edit (to add/delete images/videos from the story); Share (to render and share the story with others); Rename (to edit the title of the story); Change cover Image (to change the cover image of the story); Create GIF (to create an animated GIF file of the rendered story without sound); Create Collage (to create a collage of the images from the story); Send to Reminder (to add the date to the Calendar app for the memory)
    Screenshot_20190206-171013_Gallery.jpg

5(d). The screenshot below shows the popup menu when you edit the title of the story
    Screenshot_20190206-171024_Gallery.jpg

5(e). The screenshot below shows the screen when you open the story in the director view. At the bottom of the screen are 4 options. First option is to give a theme to the story. The user can choose from a variety of themes from the system. it includes majorly all themes from basic to picnic to air travel. Second option is to edit the title and subtitle of the story. Third option is to change the music track of the story. the user can choose from a variety of sound tracks from the story maker as well as users' own music track from external source. Fourth option opens the thumbnail view where as the video progresses, the thumbnail at the bottom section changes to give an idea to the user about the remaining amount of media in the story as well as gives an option to add and delete media from the story.
    Screenshot_20190206-171045_Story Video Editor.jpg

5(f). Below is the screenshot for second option (description in 5(e))
    Screenshot_20190206-171052_Story Video Editor.jpg

5(g). Below is the screenshot for third option (Description in 5(e))
    Screenshot_20190206-171058_Story Video Editor.jpg

5(h). Below is the screenshot for 4th option (Description in 5(e))
    Screenshot_20190206-171108_Story Video Editor.jpg

I feel that this feature is feasible in OxygenOS and will create a fun experience for all the OnePlus users. You can drop a like if you want this feature as well

J1540027102419 likes this.
  2. B_Wrath Lollipop Feb 6, 2019

B_Wrath, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Check assistant in Google photos app.

3. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 6, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Feb 6, 2019 :
    I wanted to write the same, but then I remembered that Google Photos stories almost never suit my needs and not being able to modify them is a pain as well.

4. B_Wrath Lollipop Feb 6, 2019

B_Wrath, Feb 6, 2019 :
    You can modify them. You can select the photos you need and the music you need.

FlixbusLennart and Venky61 like this.
  5. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 6, 2019

Venky61, Feb 6, 2019 :
    You can modify in the app version... unlike the web.

6. ashwin.243 Honeycomb Feb 7, 2019

ashwin.243, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Hello
    Thanks for the reply
    I do understand that this function is available in Google Photos app but the #PMChallenge is about sharing ideas for enhancing the experience of OxygenOS. Back in the days of OnePlus 2, OxygenOS didn't have it's own gallery app. Now when it does, apparently it can have this feature as well. Plus, the stories function in Google Photos app has limited customization, I've proposed an idea with a wide array of customization function for the stories feature in the Gallery app. The screenshots from the Samsung Gallery is just to give an idea of the concept. Even Samsung has limited customization.

7. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 7, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 7, 2019 :
    But don't you think that, since that feature is already on OnePlus devices (even if through a Google app), won't this be wasting resources on things that OnePlus devices lack?

8. ashwin.243 Honeycomb Feb 7, 2019

ashwin.243, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Hello
    Thanks for the reply.
    During the days of OxygenOS 2 (OnePlus 2), the OS didn't even have a Gallery app. Keeping this thinking in mind, even getting your own Gallery app instead of a Second Party (Google) app was a waste of resources?
    All I can do is post ideas but it totally upto OnePlus if they want to spend their resources to this idea. I've shared one more idea under the PMChallenge. It is a utility function and I hope you'll like it

9. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 7, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Yes, I do think that OnePlus does need its own gallery app. The only reason why it's not a waste of resources is because they actually need the app for the Chinese version of the OS, that does not ship with Google apps.

Do bear in mind that I'm not actually a OnePlus employee, but just a consultant. You should see me more like a user such as yourself. ;)

10. ashwin.243 Honeycomb Feb 8, 2019

ashwin.243, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply
    I totally agree with you that some apps are needed for the Chinese version as they are not shipped with Google Apps. Again, this thread is just a suggestion for OnePlus. It is totally upto them if they want to implement it or not. Also, the Chinese users may like this feature in their stock gallery app