#PMChallenge - Automatically activate / deactivate SIM cards

1. Reudig Donut Feb 15, 2019

Reudig, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Hello Everyone!

Today I would like to introduce you to an idea that would make my work much easier. My name is Tobias and I'm a teacher in Austria.
    Staying in contact with my students and (often more important) their parents is a taxing job. For reasons you surely understand I'm not willing to give my private phone number to students or their parents. Of course there are landline phones in the school I work at, however I spend most of my time in class and calls to the land line hardly ever reach me.
    In this day and age of smart phones and constant availability parents expect teachers to be available as well. And I would like to be there for them, but not at ridiculous hours. And believe me, some parents will call you or write a text 5 minutes after you went to bed. (An exaggeration of course, but I guess you can see my point.)
    After looking far and wide for a solution to my problem I still ended up manually switching off my second SIM card everyday when going home from work - whenever I remember, that is. More often than not I don't think about turning off my work number however and so I get the "occasional" on a Sunday afternoon.

While collecting thoughts for this pitch and working out the detail as well as assembling the designs I realized that although my issue seems like one in a million, the situation can be transfered to alot of scenarios. I hope you enjoy my idea, fingers crossed that the OnePlus Devs like it as well!

Who are the users?

Basically everyone. One could think of it as automatic airplane mode, but for the SIM card only instead of the entire phone. That way everyone who is using 2 SIM cards in their phone will get a massive benefit. Being able to turn each SIM card off automatically at a predetermined daytime is the goal I want to achieve with this pitch.

What is the proposed function?

Users can set a time frame for each SIM card to automatically activate and deactivate. E.g. one could set his work number to only be active from Monday through Friday, starting each day at 8 a.m. and turning itself off at 4 p.m.

What is the user value?

My original idea was to prevent annoying work calls outside of business hours or during weekends. That still is the main goal and the motivation for this pitch. After working on it for some time however I realized that it is not only for those who have their work number on their private phone, but also for people who have second SIM cards in general. Reasons for having a second SIM card are different from person to person. Those reasons could be work – of course - or second-hand trade, or maybe online dating. This feature will help everyone to prevent romance calls during inappropriate moments, it will limit second-hand trade calls to certain hours where YOU are comfortable with, and all that without having to spend a thought on activating and deactivating the SIM card in the phone’s options. Users would be more incentivized to use a single phone, instead of multiple devices. Companies could benefit as well because they only can hand out SIM cards instead of fully featured phones for their workforce.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

I've already tried couple of solutions for my issue. One was an App called "mypio" which was available in Austria and Germany. The app gave you a second phone number without adding another SIM card. And although automatic shut-on/off was on their roadmap, the app never got to that feature before it stopped working entirely couple of weeks ago because the company went bankrupt. The service had a monthly subscription model and wasn't cheap. That’s why adding a 2nd SIM card is - I believe - the superior version to get a business phone number.

Ever since mypio stopped working I've tried to find a solution for a 2nd SIM card that shuts off automatically at a set time but the only answer I got was that it “might” be possible if the phone was rooted.

Rooting, however, isn't for everyone, and most users aren't very tech savvy, so a workaround that required rooting and still might not work didn’t sound very promising. And although I didn’t try the rooting method, I’m sure that this feature would be better suited to sit right there in the OS instead of some Tasker-like app.

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented:

I see this feature as a QoL improvement for every user.

Under Options -> Wi-Fi & Internet -> SIM & Network (translated from a German OxygenOS) users can see both their installed SIM cards. When clicking on one of them the SIM specific options pop up. There one can see the activation switch, SIM-Name, roaming switch and so on. Here should be another setting called "Schedule". The schedule option lets users set the SIM card to active (or inactive) at specific time slots.

Concept of design

Please keep in mind that my phone, which I've taken the screenshots from, runs OxygenOS in German. Everything I've added on top of whats originally there is in English though so that everyone can understand.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Does it contribute to a burdenless experience?

Yes, because once set up, you can rely on your phone to manage your SIM status. No more business calls during off-hours. Callers will get straight to voice mail.

How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?

Hardly, if at all. This will only affect SIM settings, so other connections like Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for example will remain active.

What will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?

I was thinking of a kind of Wizard that introduces the user to Schedules after a second SIM card has been added to the phone. This could also appear as a notification after booting the device for the first time. Considering the “user journey” I’ve journeyed myself while working on the graphics for quite some time. I had this very specific idea in my head and while assembling the demo graphics I noticed a couple of logic errors on my part. I’m no software developer however and might have overlooked some more.

Thank you for reading my pitch to the end. I hope you enjoyed it. Please leave feedback!
    A nice day to each and everyone of you.
    Like we use to "write" in Austria mfg (which stands for "mit freundlichen Grüßen" and basically means "best wishes")
    Tobias aka Reudig