#PMChallenge – Child Mode

1. lampard1987
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

lampard1987 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    Any OnePlus owner who has a young child/ children and wants to be able to let them play with their phone in any scenario and have a friendly childproof environment for the children to use.

What is the proposed function?
    This would be to have a built OxygenOS app that would allow you to control with a password/pin/fingerprint the opening and closing of the app. Inside the app would be a child friendly environment where you can load on games/books/films and maybe it could have some out of the box things like a drawing area for stickers or funny face swap stickers for the child to play with in this environment.
    As the phone owner/admin you can have access to the usage data of the child's environment to see how long these use certain apps and limit the usage if required.

What is the user value?
    The user value would be to be able to hand your OnePlus phone to your child to play with with the confidence that they can use it to play on apps securely and will not be able to answer or make calls/ send messages/ change settings/ make in app purchases etc. This would be a great benefit in scenarios where your child is bored and you can hand over your phone for them to use as a distraction or if you do not have a tablet for your child to use at home.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    As far as I know Samsung have done something similar but with the built in statistics/ restrictions that the parents could set makes this superior. This would be a 2 in 1 feature allowing a fun and safe environment for children to use on the OnePlus and also the parents would have the functionality to set restrictions on apps, usage, volume, in app purchases, who can call whilst in this environment (similar to the game mode).

Concept below of something Samsung have already. Redesign required:
    upload_2019-2-4_16-34-3.png

upload_2019-2-4_16-33-45.png

Mesire, Mosbror and sbruckner like this.
  2. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2019

rameshshreyas , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Android has option to create multiple user profiles. You can customize what apps can be opened in the other profile. What's the point of this?

Kytharsis, Baymax and Gibbi03 like this.
  3. lampard1987
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

lampard1987 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    To save the hassle of setting up multiple profiles and then managing multiple profiles. If it was built in to the OS then it would streamline this process.

4. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2019

rameshshreyas , Feb 4, 2019 :
    But then when Android provides you option to customize, why do you want it pre-determined?

Kytharsis likes this.
  5. taylor85345
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

taylor85345 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    I would LOVE to have this feature. My 2 year old is a menace when he gets his hands on my phone.

If this becomes a thing, it would be really important to have the option to disable the Notification Pane and Navigation Buttons/Gestures until a particular button combination is pressed. This wouldn't be necessary for older kids, but is essential for kids 3 and under who don't really know what they're doing and just like to poke around at the screen.

lampard1987 likes this.
  6. G_kanu_priya_TJMy
    Donut Feb 4, 2019

G_kanu_priya_TJMy , Feb 4, 2019 :
    You can go to profiles and then create a new profile for ur kid and installing the required apps in it. And while handling over the device to ur kid u can just switch the profile with one click. This feature is so usefuk that ur kid can not call anuone mistakenly or also cant message anyone. :) Hope it helps

Kytharsis likes this.
  7. Gibbi03
    Eclair Feb 5, 2019

Gibbi03 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    I don't understand why you guys give your kids your phones in the first place. That's dangerous on a number of different levels.

1) child gets addicted to screens

2) they could break it

3) you as a supposed Nurturing parent get used to the phone being the child's babysitter

4) kid could accidentally call/text someone important or a stranger (yes I understand your proposed function would address this one, but it's still not a thing yet so idk why you're still giving it to your kid until then)

5) if someone calls you, you then have to fight your child to get your phone back

shall I continue?

Kytharsis and Neddard like this.
  8. Android450
    Marshmallow Feb 5, 2019

Android450 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Moderation is key limiting the amount of screen time easily stops this. Teaching them why too much of one thing is never good
    They could also break many toys on the market
    That's quite the leap we don't know what kinds of parents these people are
    If they are raised to be respectful and know the boundaries of other peoples property this isn't a huge issue

This was a jump to the extreme of extreme neglectful parents :confused:

Kytharsis and Baymax like this.
  9. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 5, 2019

Moin2200 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Though I understand what you mean. I still don't think this feature will be that interesting as the majority of oneplus users are young and don't have kids.
    And most don't give the phones to children.

Kytharsis likes this.
  10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 5, 2019 :
    You have multiple choices here:

1. Protect all apps with inbuilt AppLock, except the ones your child can access.

2. Use a new account for your child.

3. Install another launcher and hide all apps, except the ones you want your child to access. So when you give your child the phone, simply make this the default launcher and activate it. This way, both you and your child can play the same game without losing progress!

11. Gibbi03
    Eclair Feb 5, 2019

Gibbi03 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    I work at a boys home with kids between the ages of 8-12. I've seen first hand that the kids who had "limits" on how often they could use an ipad for example are the same kids who get really anxious over the amount of time they can spend playing video games or watching TV and they flip out when their turn is up or they are told that they can't play.

I don't know how this is a gross exaggeration. I have even seen this same kind of behavior with 2 of my nieces and one of my nephew's as well and it's a real problem. If you're going to take offense to me telling you to look out, than that's your choice. I'm just letting you know the more your kid uses your phone, the more likely any one of those 5 things could happen and that if you're suggesting to have a kids mode on your phone, you're just encouraging that to happen more often.

also, toys? Really? You have childrens toys in the same category as your phone?

Kytharsis and Neddard like this.