#PMChallenge - Clipboard for End users for all future Oxygen OS editions in all OnePlus device

1. bharatb76
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

bharatb76 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Need for a simple Clipboard option

I have already submitted a Suggestion for OnePlus 6T as the Open Beta testing is going on. However the #PMChallenge threw me a challenge to explain this feature in a very detailed manner.

Thanks for giving the opportunity in the first place. Kudos to your Development and Product teams. [e]1f44d[/e]

So here is my below PRD for the same :

1. Who are the users?

Everybody who use any OnePlus device with Oxygen OS as their primary daily driver... especially new devices that are larger in screen size.

2. What is the proposed function?

Proposed function is a simple virtual clipboard that would store up some 5/6 copied texts or phone numbers or screenshots as image etc to a virtual clipboard that would later help users Paste them to a different areas. Normal copy and paste will only store 1 text or phone at a given time. A clipboard will help in storing say 5 items or slightly less at a time.

Also an option to clear Clipboard items can be given for better Memory management as well.

3. What is the user value?

Users currently are unable to copy more than 1 item using Copy -> Paste functionality of Oxygen OS. More than 1 items to be copied is helpful as one may do multiple functions at a single time. Like for example I may copy a phone number from a web page and want to call that but before that I might have copied the address for saving it in a notes application or the contacts too.

4. If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

In the Smartphone industry where premium phones are concerned this Clipboard function is normal and is being given as an application with access from within specific commands.

I have attached a few diagrams / screenshots to explain how this can be achieved in OnePlus Oxygen OS.

A. When user selects some text from some web page via browser or from community app or any other readable & copy-able application the below context menu appears with Copy, Share, Select All etc... An additional option called "To Clipboard" or "Clipboard" can be given so that the copied text would go to clipboard rather than just temporary memory. See image below for where it can appear...
    1549290540058.jpg

B. Once this is sent to clipboard, a simple text can appear on screen confirming copying to clipboard. When the users want to Paste the same to other areas like say within Google search or Contacts field or any notes application etc, they can hard press and get the current option as mentioned below with the context menu appears on right side... and if users press that they should get option called "From Clipboard" as option to Paste text from clipboard.
    1549290824030.jpg

For UX and developers I have given the above two steps how to go ahead. [e]1f4aa[/e]
    For product management team, my advice is that do not create a huge bloated application... try to create a very simple application which can temporarily hold 4 or 5 fields of texts in memory and can be flushed out when phone restarts. That way Oxygen OS remains faster and lighter like always !!

Hope this was self explanatory.

Thanks for the opportunity !!

Peace !![e]270c[/e]️

Bharat

2. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Feb 4, 2019

B_Wrath , Feb 4, 2019 :
    A good PRD.
    Few questions.
    1. How many users or what percentage of users do you think will use this?
    2. What is the kind of user group who will use this?
    3. How can this feature provide unique value when there are already available clip board apps which provide the same functionality?

Intruder71 and alessiodales like this.
  3. bharatb76
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

1. Almost all users (90% or above) should use this.

2. I agree there are multiple 3rd party applications but why did Microsoft introduce calculators inside their OS... why did Apple iOS introduce their own browsers... why do OnePlus give their own application migration tool ?!! Answer these and you will get answers for your questions. No one wants third party bloatware with incompatibility issues and your developers will have lesser effort fixing issues in Oxygen OS caused due to third party bloatwares for such simple functionality.

4. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Feb 4, 2019

B_Wrath , Feb 4, 2019 :
    The advantage of third party apps is that, people who don't want it, don't have to have it in the phone. Oxygen OS is one of the most cleanest OS in the Android world.
    As far as I can see, only power users, who multitask a lot in their phones and use it for work will be able to get the full benefit out of this feature.

The point you made about why other manufacturers have so and so features, it is their attractive quality targets. That doesn't mean oneplus should as well implement it.

But ya, this is a nifty feature to have. I myself would like to have it.

Cheers. All the best!

By the way, I don't work for OnePlus.

5. bharatb76
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

Are you saying a clipboard system with 4 or 5 items in temporary memory will be a bloatware that will go against the concept of a cleanest OS ?!! I think you should read again my PRD steps.

These are not attractive features in other phones... Please... No one spends 900$ / ₹ 65K on phones because they have a clipboard functionality !! That's the hillarious thing I've read recently.

It is a wonderful little functionality that would help us in using our phones for doing multiple things... and that is nothing more ... nothing less.

G_Lu_Di_Giosia_sWrU likes this.
  6. Isantum
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

Isantum , Feb 4, 2019 :
    I had something similar in mind, but thought of something like this -

- When you copy something, it is stored in the Recent tab on the home screen.
    - You can save 50 such last copied texts.
    - If you need something, you open the Recent tab and copy it with one touch.
    - If you want to do more, long press - gives you the option to delete, share, reminder (gives you a notification to check out a copied text, useful if it's a link you want to visit later)
    - The only problem was that it would take a long time to copy and paste
    - Apart from all this, there are keyboards that can save to clipboard.

Anyway, great idea!

bharatb76 likes this.
  7. YRJ
    Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

bharatb76 likes this.
  8. Hydra Bob
    Starting Point Expert Feb 5, 2019

Hydra Bob , Feb 5, 2019 :
    They already tried something like this but unfortunately they rushed moving it from Hydrogen to Oxygen OS and left some code in there capable of collecting data, that although inactive still freaked people out when found. Shouldn't be too hard to dust it off if they wanted to now that the controversy has blown over.

9. bharatb76
    Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

bharatb76 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    I didn't understand a thing that you mentioned... can you be more specific on who "they" are and what was moved from Hydrogen to Oxygen ??

10. Hydra Bob

They are OnePlus and a clipboard feature was moved from Hydrogen OS to the Oxygen beta program but with some suspicious code left in so they removed the feature entirely because of the backlash. So basically this is a good feature that's already coded and ready to go the only thing that might stop them is concern of public opinion on data collection and privacy after their last attempt.

11. bharatb76
    Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

That was refuted claim by OnePlus... and that was in Hydrogen OS which is an official Chinese ROM... not international... so I really don't know what connection that had with this.

did you read that the GDPR and other policies around the world are done for that and OnePlus was probably the first company to publicly acknowledge and embrace the local server policies ?!!

12. Hydra Bob

I said the code was inactive and not doing anything on OOS but it was still there. And after Eliot Alderson found it and freaked everyone out the public outcry was enough that they scrapped the feature.

Just thought it was relevant information that idea was already attempted and scrapped. So basically you don't have to convince them that it's a good idea they already agree, they probably don't even have to write any new code, the challenge instead is more that you have to convince them that people are ready for another attempt.

I'm not trying to attack you or your idea here, just trying to provide context and information.

bharatb76 likes this.
  13. bharatb76
    Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

Ok cool. But the way I had told in PRD (if that really is...), I have specifically mentioned that it should be flushed after phone restart (manual / accidental)... just a light weight stuff is enough.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  14. Stealthie1
    Froyo Aug 28, 2019