#PMChallenge - Desktop Mode

1. stateandrei5 Donut Feb 4, 2019

stateandrei5, Feb 4, 2019 :
    1549298273864.jpg

I believe it should be very simply implemented. The desktop mode UI should replace the normal screen cast.

-Options :

wired : the usb 3.1 technology must be used although i do not know how easily could that be implemented with the current 20watt (maybe 30watt future oneplus 7) quick charge technology.

wireless : the phone would cast it's screen to a secondary display without the need of an internet router. (The future Oneplus Tv might be a suitable complementary product for this feature)

Being a wireless solution, latency will be the biggest issue.

-Interface :

Phone: The screen would turn into a touchpad with a minimal app launcher bar at the bottom as well as 4-5 recent opened apps and a quick settings control panel. When text input is required, the keyboard would pop-up over the touchpad. In the case when an external keyboard or mouse is connected then the screen would be black to conserve battery.

The second screen: It would have the same app bar described above with the start button, 4-5 recent apps and a quick settings control panel as well as a back and home button. All apps are opened in fullscreen mode to avoid heavily modifying the OS and the taskbar can either auto-hide or not. The desktop area i believe to be a "dead space". In order to utilize it fully, all the installed apps will populate the area. In the outmost left of the screen, information such as the user name along with a profile picture, main phone settings and the power button to turn off the desktop mode and a small area where a widger or two might be placed (google at a glance, google keep, etc) are placed here.

The quick settings panel would allow the user to change the resolution at which the screen will be casted as well as the aspect ratio. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mobile Data and Volume controls also live down here

-Competitors : Companies such as Samsun and Huawe have implemented similar features called SamsunDe and EasyProjectio. Maybe Windows 10 RT gets close as well. I believe it brings mobile computing closer to the "one device for the everyday computing" idea.

-The users and value: Being not too complicated to use such as the same features implemented by the competitors, people like my father can easily cast his phone to the big screen in order to show his friends a couple of photos and also multitask with a few apps such as social apps (maybe share the photos) or various internet browsers ( maybe search for some information)

-Hopes and Ambitions : I know that this is the future and i just hope we will get there faster. If OnePlus makes a step towards this direction, with the design language that they have and the simplistic way of overcoming issues.

I TRULY BELIEVE THIS WILL BE A FLAGSHIP KILLER FEATURE.

P.S. Image is from Pheonix OS (an android for x86 architecture) I hope the resolution is good enough

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

2. taylor85345 Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

taylor85345, Feb 4, 2019 :
    I have always wanted this in some capacity, along with a general support for USB 3.1. I am fairly confident that the current Dash Charge implementation has prevented them from adding USB 3.1, as they had to claim one of the extra pins to perform the Dash "Handshake", but if they could figure that out it would be great to have a full desktop mode.

3. stateandrei5 Donut Feb 4, 2019

stateandrei5, Feb 4, 2019 :
    I would even like to have a OnePlus device/dock/adapter with DisplayLink technology. From what i've read DisplayLink should work with usb 2.

Would happily pay for that.

Crachoveride likes this.
  4. FlameCRO Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

FlameCRO, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Absolutely would love it since I was thinking about it few weeks ago when I actually needed it...

leochristo likes this.
  5. estian8 Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

stateandrei5 and leochristo like this.
  6. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

Venky61, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Once you use Pheonix OS, we start realizing how fun it is use android on desktop mode. But I feel its better to have the Physical keyboard and mouse as the interface than using the phone...

7. stateandrei5 Donut Feb 5, 2019

stateandrei5, Feb 5, 2019 :
    How about this. When a physical keyboard and mouse is connected then the screen turns black and if not then a virtual touchpad and keyboard pops up.

leochristo likes this.
  8. Venky61 Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2019

Venky61, Feb 5, 2019 :
    That would be good but am not sure how feasible it is to not mirror the screen without a dock... Anyway am always in for the Desktop Mode and hope to see them implemented for all phones :)

9. leochristo Cupcake Feb 6, 2019

leochristo, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Desktop mode would be perfect! It would nearly eradicate my need for a laptop. A screen with wireless keyboard + mouse would be ideal for when i'm at home. I also like the idea of the screen turning black when a wireless keyboard + mouse is plugged in to save battery. If this is implemented and done well it would be amazing!

stateandrei5 likes this.