#PMchallenge Desktop Mode

1. Ramyski
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2019

Ramyski , Feb 8, 2019 :
    Have you ever found yourself stuck, Because You can't do your work, Because Your PC Or Laptop isn't around? PCs and Laptops not being super portable affects our Productivity.

But Smartphones have become so fast and capable lately, especially with the latest specs. But Can We Use that to help solve the Portability problem of PCs ?

Let’s say you Ur going to a relative for a few days, You Just wanna be lightweight, So You decide to only take your phone. However, Your Manager Suddenly rings, Asking You to do an important task, for example, Edit a Photo, finish a Design, finish Some Code, ETC...... You will try to do it on Your phone to find that the PC Alternatives of the apps you use on Your PC aren't as efficient .

When the user wants to have PC Features but can't Because He's only carrying his phone around, it is tedious trying to do PC Tasks on a Phone. So That when They Need a PC, they don't have one.

But IF the Phone already Has a Desktop interface, but only still supports the mobile Apps only, It Doesn't fix the Problem.

Therefore, the design goal is to address the problems addressed above, and we need a creative way to help the user be more productive on a phone.

I got the problem from scenarios like the one shared in the preface (My Dad passes this problem everyday). People may not have money to buy a PC, or Just don't have one around at the moment. Phones were said to replace Laptops and PCs, they did to a certain extent, but, Till Now, i still can't live Only With My Phone as a Daily Production Driver, and Call Myself Productive

Let's start from the following questions:

If the user wants the Phone to Replace the PC , what can we as Developers do to help them do so? What feature can we implement into the phone to help the user be productive with it only? We want to increase productivity and help the user save more money, by only having him paying for a phone. In the end, I came up with the solution of automatic classification tags.

Even if the user doesn't have a PC, they can use a PC Like interface, connect a keyboard. Users don’t have to walk with their laptops everywhere they go.

In developing The PC Interface, I did put details in use such as whether to add Some PC apps support, for example Linux.
    Desktop.png

In this prototype, I considered a PC Like interface + Linux apps support.

This Is Supposed to Be Powered by The Open Source Container system, which allowed Google to add Linux & Android support to Chrome OS, and the user of course having the Linux option, Can install Wine To Use the most commonly Used Windows Productivity Application for Example the Adobe Suite

This Product Of Course, Can be easily affected by User's Opinion, If You see a better way I can improve Upon it, Please Put it in a Comment

Attached Files:

ohynek, Berty FR and papa4narchia like this.
  2. papa4narchia
    Cupcake Feb 13, 2019

papa4narchia , Feb 13, 2019 :
    OnePlus needs to add USB-C to HDMI support, the rest is there more or less. Please look into Samsung's DEX environment and offer something similar.

Berty FR likes this.
  3. Berty FR
    Cupcake Feb 13, 2019

4. Ramyski
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Ramyski , Feb 21, 2019 :
    The thing is about what happens after the hdmi support, a desktop environment and linux support is gr8

5. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 21, 2019

KeepTransisting , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Unfortunately, the OnePlus phones only use USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.1 like most modern USB-C phones. This is most likely due to the USB 2.0 chips being much cheaper and plentiful in bulk supply. The limitation that comes with that, though, is that USB 2.0 barely has the bandwidth to drive a high resolution display, let alone have other peripherals connected to the port at the same time.

6. Ramyski
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Ramyski , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Well Yeah ur right, but i think that the pm challenge targets the next phone, so if they think they might implement this, they have to add usb 3.1, and btw i think they should join the game, cuz Samsung is doing it, Microsoft, & Even Razer r doing it

7. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 21, 2019

KeepTransisting , Feb 21, 2019 :
    So companies that sell much more expensive products are doing it. Are you willing to accept a pretty big price increase to compensate for the additional hardware and software development needed?

8. Ramyski
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Ramyski , Feb 21, 2019 :
    It isn't that big (IG) Just add USB 3.1, and most other things are open source and provided already

9. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean Feb 21, 2019

LegolasX , Feb 21, 2019 :
    the question is still same, will you pay extra just for that upgrade?
    and it will need a hardware change which is not possible in current devices thus making this idea less useful as of now.

10. Ramyski
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Ramyski , Feb 21, 2019 :
    As I said the Cost shouldn't be that much, but if u noticed oneplus devices become cost more every year

11. Oneplus696969
    Cupcake May 15, 2019

Oneplus696969 , May 15, 2019 :
    You guys can all relax!

The OP7 has USB C 3 ... and Android Q has Desktop Mode .. it's taken a few years but the time has cum.