#PMChallenge- Dial a number from the offline world

1. N1549529103883 Cupcake Feb 8, 2019

N1549529103883, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Last Friday when I reached home from work and opened my refrigerator to grab a beer. To my surprise, the refrigerator was not working and from the temperature inside, it seemed it's not working since the morning after I left for work. Hot Beer? No :(

Since it was quite late at night, I had my dinner and slept off. Next day morning, when I started troubleshooting, I found out start relay (Responsible for switching the compressor on/off) on back of the refrigerator had gone bad. Actually burnt! It's easy to replace, all you need is a screwdriver and new start relay. I had the screwdriver and needed a new relay compatible with my refrigerator.

Here comes the challenge, It's niche spare part and not available in the normal electronic shop. I started googling and found out a shop near the market but there was no contact number in there so I could call and confirm if they have it. The only option I was left with - Drive to that shop. It was not very far so I reached there within 20 minutes andddd the shop was closed :(

Most of the shops in India have a billboard with name and contact number on it. I was happy to find one for that shop as well, there were 4 contact numbers mentioned. I took my phone out, opened the dealer, started reading and typing the number and finally dialed - "the number you are trying to reach is switched off" said the ivr voice.;)

No problem! Let me try the second one, repeated the whole process all again and lady on the IVR had the same response. Now it was becoming frustrating but I had no choice but to try 2 more numbers. Finally, I could get through the last one, spoke to the person and he mentioned that he has the new relay and come down to shop within 10 minutes. He came sooner than 10 minutes, I bought the relay, came back home and replaced the relay.

voila! My refrigerator started working again and I had a couple of beers at lunch time :)

While I was experiencing dialing the number from the board, all I wished was my so-called smartphone could have been smart enough to read the number from the offline world and help me dial. My situation was not so critical but imagine you are somewhere in those situations where you need to act fast, like dialing an emergency number referring from the board right in front of you.

Who are the users?
    Anyone with smartphone who interacts with the online and offline world.

What is the user value?
    Significant reduction in cognitive load when dialing the number referring offline world, life savior in some of the edge use cases.

What is the proposed function?
    When people open the keypad of the dialer app, they are presented with the ability to read number using the camera feature.

Rough visual representation:
    [​IMG]
    https://ibb.co/Bwy9PBf

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Nothing that I know of, tightly integrated with the dialer. Some google app does the offline content scanning but again if you need to scan and dial a number using it, it's a multi-step process.

2. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 8, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Hi there,

I just moved this thread to Tech Category, but please bear in mind that you can already do this on your phone.

Just open Camera - Google Lens and you're set.

script likes this.
  3. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 8, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 8, 2019 :
    That sounds like google lens.

4. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 8, 2019