#PMChallenge - enable external microphones and manually control them

1. script Marshmallow Moderator Feb 6, 2019

script, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Who are the users?

All who want a better sound quality when recording videos

What is the proposed function?

1) enable the use of two (or more) external microphones, via cable or wireless
    2) allow to manually adjust the recording level of each mic separately while recording your video "on the fly" by adjusting the level with your thumbs on the screen

What is the user value?

In case your want to film someone talking, or in an interview situation, you can adjust the loudness of the voices of the person who is asking questions and the person that answers, separately.

If you film something distant, you can place a microphone near the action and record the sound with the external wireless mic in a perfect quality, even if the phone is many meters away.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

I have to confess, I don´t know if other phones in the industry can do this. Overall, smartphones today would be capable to work similar to a PC with a multitrack sound recording application. If OnePlus enables the use of several (two or more) external microphones, you could use a OnePlus phone like a video camcorder, or, if you want to record only sound, as a multitrack recording machine, e.g. for bands, that want to record their rehearsals. You could enable recording in .wav quality on 2, 4 or 8 tracks. (As I am not an engineer I must add: if that is supported by the hardware/ internal wiring)

OnePlus phones are well known for a great performance, very fast hardware, beautiful design, and a more than good camera. Still, not a great camera.

I see the opportunity for OnePlus to give their phones a unique feature in the smartphone world, if OnePlus would develop their phones to "camcorder phones". A superior sound recording soft- and hardware would help achieving that.

OnePlus could further on develop clip-on lenses, own, optimized wireless microphones, and even specialized professional cases to plug-in external microphones or even professional sound sources from a small mixing desk.

-Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented

I want sound recording level meters displayed on the screen while you shoot a video. With your thumbs you can move up or down sliders to record the different sound sources in the optimized recording level. It should be possible to control each channel separately.

If you use the device only for sound recording as a multitrack recording device, of course we need those sliders for every channel.

-Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen.

_20190206_151400.JPG

Pic 1: Video-recording screen, two sound level-meters left and right

_20190206_161016.JPG

Pic 2: external case with 8 mini-jacks, to plug-in external microphones or other sound sources. The connection from the case to the phone works with a cable that is plugged-in into the USB connection. That is of course the next level, requiring extra hardware.

2. Dresa91 Oreo Feb 6, 2019

Dresa91, Feb 6, 2019 :
    good idea:)
    your drawings would be better if you had added some squirrels:)

3. cdnfarmer Jelly Bean Feb 7, 2019

cdnfarmer, Feb 7, 2019 :
    good idea Script. I've seen some reporters use their smartphones attached to mics to record interviews. There were limited number ofopeople doing it but the convenience was appealing. t think that this could be a neat for that not everyone has to offer .

Must admit, @Dresa91 squirrel idea would enhance the overall picture.

script, OceaneSxm and Dresa91 like this.
  4. OceaneSxm Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 7, 2019

script, cdnfarmer and Dresa91 like this.
  5. hennes KitKat Feb 7, 2019

6. Tobikage Marshmallow Feb 7, 2019

Tobikage, Feb 7, 2019 :
    You just want this feature to better record your Squirrels don't you ?? :D

hennes, cdnfarmer, OceaneSxm and 2 others like this.
  7. hennes KitKat Feb 8, 2019

hennes, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Sensation!!!!!!!!!!
    First interview with a squirrel!
    Copyright by @script :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

8. Tobikage Marshmallow Feb 8, 2019

Tobikage, Feb 8, 2019 :
    If he wins , they should just give him this....
    61sPrE9zOEL._SY450_.jpg

9. thmmrn Cupcake Feb 13, 2019

thmmrn, Feb 13, 2019 :
    I absolutely agree. I love my OnePlus 5T BUT the sound is awful when you record a video in a loud environment. At music festivals, the sound is really loud with a lot of basses (specially hard dance music), and the phone is not able to correctly record the sound. The noise cancellation gets crazy, the sound is very distorted.
    Example:
    Even worse:

Even my old LG G4 was better, iPhone sound recording quality should be the reference.
    We should be able to see the sound dynamic range and set sound recording settings when we record a video. To be able to connect an external mic would be awesome.
    Why do OnePlus doesn't study on this feature for the current and next versions ? :)

SLY SUPERB and script like this.
  10. script Marshmallow Moderator Feb 13, 2019

script, Feb 13, 2019 :
    I. Want. That. Cup.

Period.

Tobikage likes this.
  11. script Marshmallow Moderator Feb 17, 2019

script, Feb 17, 2019 :
    Thank you, exactly my thoughts.

My proposal might not be important for all users, but for us video fans it would be great, and surely no rocket science to implement. Let's hope for the best, and the next update :)

SLY SUPERB likes this.
  12. Tobikage Marshmallow Feb 17, 2019

Tobikage, Feb 17, 2019 :
    Anything is better than the inbuilt mic if you want to record anything of actual quality.

SLY SUPERB and script like this.
  13. SLY SUPERB Cupcake Apr 7, 2019

SLY SUPERB, Apr 7, 2019 :
    Same here. I would love the standard camera app to just frickin' accept a external 3.5mm microphone. This is very very easy to implement. Simply switching to the external (headset / TRRS) mic when it is plugged in would be enough. Not even fancy meters would be needed. Simply switching to the other source.

Come on OnePlus. Don't let your users down and listen to us. Do it, just do it!

script likes this.