#PMChallenge File Manager 2.0

1. Rubyoles Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Rubyoles, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Introduction

The idea would be to improve File Manager with missing features that you could find on third party apps. Encapsulating everything on the same application will give a great advantage for the users avoiding to install third party applications for simple tasks.

The main goal here is to include more storage options and remote connections to File Manager. I usually use third party application because I need to connect my local PC and access files from my computer in my phone. On the other hand, you can also access your device file system from your computer directly by FTP for example.

Then, as an extra, I would include some features to File Manager in order to keep everything organize in one application. I would include a new category "Scanned", that would allow you to scan documents directly to that category/folder. Scanned documents would be NFC, QR and Files (using your camera and automatically converting the image to PDF).

Finally, in order to improve searchability, it would be great to have something like tags. You would be able to tag your documents with keywords. Those keywords should be searchable and filterable directly from the file manager.

Who are the users?

Everyone using third party application to access remote devices, to scan documents and to organize their files.

What is the proposed function?

Improve and include more useful options to File Manager

What is the user value?

More functionalities encapsulated on the same application, avoiding the installation of third party apps (plenty of ads) to achieve simple and common tasks that can be done here. Users will also be able to improve their file management.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

There are a lot of File Management applications but all of them have limitations. Mostly all of them have ads (it’s normal), but they aren't using any external resources to do this, it's something that can be done with your hardware and default software. Also, some of the functionalities to be included in the file manager, are done by different applications, so you need to have a lot of application to achieve simple tasks. Users would love to have something like a toolbox, and even better if it’s already integrated on file manager.

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented

First of all, on storage tab there could be great if there was an option to include more storage options. For example, I used to connect access my local computer directly from my oneplus to see certain files or watch videos that I’ve stored locally (in this case it should be possible to include FTP or WebDAV as well). Also, reverse way, some apps allows you to access your mobile phone file directory directly from FTP.

Then, on categories tab, I would include a new category called “Scanned Files”. Here there would be some possible actions like NFC scan, QR scan or File scan. File scan would be a great functionality, by using your camera you should be able to scan documents and convert them directly to PDF (it should be possible to keep them as images, but the key point would be the conversion). With NFC all the files transferred by NFC will be placed there too. Also if you are scanning something that is not a file would be great to store a register or shortcut to that scan. And finally QR, which will work as NFC, if there is something to save, save it on that category, if not save a history.

Finally, the last improvement to be included would be the possibility to include metadata or tags to the files. Tagging your files could be an awesome functionality when you have tons of files. Those tags would be searchable with the custom search of the file manager and it should be possible to apply those tags to filter your results when searching.

Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen
    First mockup.png Second mockup.png Third mockup.png
    I would love to improve those wireframes, but I was running out of time.. sorry!

Finally, I would like to thanks OnePlus Team for this amazing challenge! I'm sure you will choose and implement something great for all of us!
    #neversettle

2. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 22, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 22, 2019 :
    the reason many stock apps are stripped down to bare bones is to allow 3rd party developers to come up with the apps.
    if everything is built into the os itself then who will use 3rd party apps. they need to have something extra to lure users.
    i mean the current file manager is kinda ok. but i still prefer Solid Explorer which has all the features you mentioned and it just cost me 20INR for premium.
    anyways i would like to see the improvements in stock file manager though.

Rubyoles likes this.