#PMChallenge - Filtered app menu

1. G_Rathish_T_KPIo
    Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

G_Rathish_T_KPIo , Feb 5, 2019 :
    How I see this product/feature?
    It’s a fairly simple feature. I have tons of apps on my phone and I always see that I am struggling to see the apps that I really need scrolling up and down, left and right (I mean with my eyes too) and then I finally find it lying between some rarely used apps.

While I do like some of the other apps, it’s not always that I want to see them or use them. Can I hide some of the apps or have the mostly used apps settle above the fold (without having to scroll)

Who are the users?

The users are people like me who install a lot of apps, downloads them, ends up not using them much, yet doesn’t want to remove them as they may be required at a later stage. For e.g. I love CamScanner… but I don’t need it all the time, yet it’s always there in front of my app menu. I use YouTube a lot, yet that’s somewhere down.

What is the proposed function?
    1. The phone should have a function to hide apps that weren’t used in the last 1, 2 or 3 months etc.

2. The phone should be able to show me the apps used in the recently (again filtered by time) above the fold.
    [​IMG]

3. Even better Select the apps I want to display and hide the rest

4. Long press and hold can unhide unused apps or bring up the menu as suggested in the pic.

What is the user value?
    Oxygen OS is about ease of use. I don’t want to always remove some of the apps. I may have even purchased them, or downloaded them for a specific use. Ability to have them easily hidden is awesome and also the ability to keep the most used apps above the fold is another great option. What I am proposing is a simple yet easy to implement concept. So If I am a social media person, I can have all my social apps above the fold as I frequently use them.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Well there is a search tab which talks about recent apps. But it’s only a search.. it’s not a part of the menu or a permanent standard feature.

Attached Files:

Crystal Z. likes this.
  2. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 5, 2019

Moin2200 , Feb 5, 2019 :
    If you haven’t used an app for that long why not just delete it? Instead of it having to take up unnecessary space?

G_Rathish_T_KPIo likes this.
  3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Just use another launcher. Nova, Microsoft, Apex, etc.

4. G_Rathish_T_KPIo
    Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

G_Rathish_T_KPIo , Feb 7, 2019 :
    I just mentioned in the write-up... It could be that I rarely want them...say CamScan, or a photo editor for instance.... It's from a visibility perspective... I don't have any issue with space.

5. G_Rathish_T_KPIo
    Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

Well if it's part of the OS nothing like it

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 7, 2019 :
    it is a launcher feature, not OS. if stock launcher doesn't support it, you have plenty of excellent 3rd party launchers. and this whole contest is for OS features.

7. G_Rathish_T_KPIo
    Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

Hey comon.. no one's talking about a launcher here. Please read through the idea before being judgemental here guys! I want a simplified menu based on my usage. Not some fancy 3rd party launcher.

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 7, 2019 :
    I'm saying that the feature you requested is a launcher feature, not OS. And for those who tend to struggle finding an app, there is search feature built into most launcher. I think OnePlus launcher provides a quick way to access search.

no one is being judgemental here. just pointing you to facts and clearing misconceptions.