#PMChallenge - Fingerprint shortcuts

1. C1pruz Donut Feb 14, 2019

C1pruz, Feb 14, 2019 :
    Who are the users?

Everybody who unlocks the phone through the fingerprint sensor, so potentially every user.

What is the proposed function?

It’s a new approach to implement shortcuts, that exploit the presence of the fingerprint sensor. It implements a selective fingerprint recognition, that unlocks the phone (if the pressure is fast) and opens an app or a service (shortcuts already offered by apps in the OnePlus Launcher) according to the finger used if the pressure is longer. They will not be the same for everyone, in fact these shortcuts will be customisable by the user in the phone settings (security section).

What is the user value?

This is a simple functionality that does not increase the complexity in the phone usage, but enable a faster access to the most used apps by the user.

It could also improve the user experience of unskilled users, simplifying basic actions (for example one of their relatives can set one fingerprint to open the phone dialer and another one to open the sms app).

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

There are other kind of shortcuts but they’re not using the fingerprint sensor, so they are either more difficult to use or slower. This new approach will let the user choose the app directly from the lockscreen while he is unlocking is phone, offering a smoother experience.

[​IMG]

2. dr0hith Cupcake Feb 14, 2019

dr0hith, Feb 14, 2019 :
    Nice idea... We can also make a few other trigger inputs like swiping in different directions on the fingerprint detector. However, that might compromise a bit on security and swiping would need the use of more registered partial fingerprints.

C1pruz likes this.
  3. Papleshh Eclair Feb 17, 2019

Papleshh, Feb 17, 2019 :
    There are 3rd party apps that allow you to use fingerprint gestures BUT gesture detection based on duration of user's finger rested on scanner is something new. Also, newer on phones this idea might turn out to be annoying rather than useful.
    Under display scanner makes the implementation of you idea redundant

4. _Saguaro_ Cupcake Feb 23, 2019

_Saguaro_, Feb 23, 2019 :
    Nice idea. I would like it to do different things based on 'which' finger I use. For example, my left thumb does a regular unlock. My left index finger unlocks and brings up Gmail, etc. Each finger could be configured by me to do whatever I want.

I would like a special choice that immediately locks the phone, i.e. if I give it the special finger, it will turn off the fingerprint reader and face unlock, and require password to unlock the phone.