#PMChallenge Floating Oneplus Bubble

1. G_Amir_Sattari_TCKG Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

G_Amir_Sattari_TCKG, Feb 7, 2019 :
    #PMChallenge Floating Oneplus Bubble

I started to narrow down the feature which could be useful for an average user and bring a new fun interface to Oneplus phones. Initially, I thought about some ideas from Google, like recognizing the music in the background, or live wallpapers but then I decided to think a bit more out of the box. One of the features that I really enjoy using it is floating notification bubbles existing in few applications like Hangouts, Facebook Messenger or even showing the lyrics with Musixmatch app. This feature is one of the few advantages of Android when comparing to iOS. It is possible to run these floating Bubbles on top of the running apps, which is also a way of multitasking. My idea is why not to bring this feature to an OxygenOS with some special tweaks that make it unique.

I decided to call it Oneplus Bubble:

[​IMG]or [​IMG]

It can be activated with shaking a phone or double pressing the turn on/off button. I prefer personally the physical buttons. The functions of this Bubble will be more than just notifications. By tapping on[​IMG], the user can choose between toolboxes, widgets, notifications or even running a second app in a floating bubble, which can be a new way of multitasking. For example, a user can choose a tool to record the screen, editing tools or a calculator running in a floating Bubble format. Another interesting point will be to pin a notification by tapping [​IMG] in the current android notification panel. After tapping the OnePlus Bubble, the notification will be a floating bubble, showing the current message or email in the app.

Figure 1: an example of a running floating bubble in the home screen

[​IMG]

Figure 2: an example of a running floating bubble in a third-party App

[​IMG]

Figure 3: an example of notification pinning as a floating bubble.

[​IMG]

Video: showing how to make a floating bubble like Facebook messenger

Who are the users?

The average consumer looking for more productivity and faster multitasking

What is the proposed function?

Floating Oneplus Bubble to run a second app (multitasking) in a floating bubble like a Facebook messenger or fast utility tools to edit or take a photo without leaving the currently running app

What is the user value?

Productivity, multitasking, and fun user interface

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

The existing feature works only in a few apps like Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, or Musixmatch app with one specific task. The proposed Floating Oneplus Bubble will be able to be a utility widget which can be customized by user reflecting their daily life need. It can run a camera app in a floating bubble, or a calculater or even run a floating scrabble game while reading news.

Regards,
    Amir

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

Ruby G. and giorgio_sperduti like this.
  2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 7, 2019

laiosg likes this.
  3. G_Amir_Sattari_TCKG Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

Currently, multitasking is a feature that is not usable in Phones. The bubble idea is like minimizing and maximizing a window. You can also have multiple bubbles, in which a different app is running. It can be a closest PC multitasking experience.

4. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 7, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 7, 2019 :
    So just like what samsung is doing?
    Would be a cool feature. But it could be seen as a gimmick.

5. G_Amir_Sattari_TCKG Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

I never used a Samsung phone, but if I am not wrong, they use the pen to activate a toolbar panel. They had also the Samsung edge, where they had shortcuts in the side bezel. The idea has definitely some similarities but in Samsung case is just a toolbox and it is really limited. It is not used to minimize or maximize the apps.

I really think with current phone RAM and performance it is possible to implement the floating Bubble idea. If you asked me 5 years ago I would say forget it, the phone will be so Laggy.