6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Gibbi03 Eclair Feb 4, 2019

Gibbi03, Feb 4, 2019 :
    1549392751792.jpg

I find that a lot of times I get distracted by my phone and waste precious amounts of time just scrolling through my Google feed, watching YouTube, or up-voting memes on Reddit.

So this got me thinking, What if I could just have a mode on my phone (just like "game mode" or "reading mode") that allows me to transform my smartphone into a basic functioning phone for a specific amount of time (so that those distractions are no longer an option), BUT also allows me to still do the important things I need to be able to do on my phone (i.e. make phone calls, send texts or emails, navigate, listen to spotify, etc etc)?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you "Focus Mode":

"Focus Mode" is the new and revolutionary mode that will solve the ever growing concern of people living their lives through their phones rather than living their lives through 1st hand experiences.

What is focus mode?

Focus mode turns your phone into a basic phone and locks it in that mode for the duration specified by you (see settings options below). When you toggle the mode on, your phone will go into a completely ambient display with 2-6 icons on it (see above image):
    1) a phone icon (so you can still make/receive calls).
    2) a messages icon (so you can still send/receive texts)
    And then up to 4 other slots you that you can fill with apps you'd need (i.e. Gmail, assistant, chrome, spotify, etc.) and will stay that way until the specified duration is completed.

How does it work?

For those of you familiar with "gaming mode" or "reading mode" think of it like those modes. You can toggle the mode on or off through the notification shade, and you can adjust the specific settings of the mode through Settings>Utilities>Focus Mode.

Here's how it stands out:

Now, I know what you old-school Samsung buffs are thinking, "this is just like ultra power saving mode" but fear not my friends, for this is far better.

As I mentioned earlier, this mode has settings that you can adjust that allow you to lock your phone in this mode so that even if you wanted to, you can't use your phone as a distraction (unless you chose the "until you turn off" option, then it would be manually controlled). Here are the proposed adjustable settings for Focus Mode that make it stand out amongst it's competitors:

Focus Mode Settings:

(very similar to how the Do Not Disturb settings work)

Duration:

Option 1 - until you turn off
    Option 2 - for _ hour(s) - +
    Option 3 - ask every time (unless turned on automatically)

Turn on automatically:

Option 1 - Sleeping (tap to adjust times it turns on and off automatically, and which days)
    Option 2 - Event (turned on when calendar events are scheduled)
    Option 3 - Add Rule (tap to add specific event, time and day to turn on automatically)

App Slots:

Slot 1 - (must be phone or messages)
    Slot 2 - (any app except games or media apps)
    Slot 3 - (any app except games or media apps)
    Slot 4 - (any app except games or media apps)
    Slot 5 - (any app except games or media apps)
    Slot 6 - (any app except games or media apps)

The coolest thing about this feature is not only does it allow you to focus on the things that matter most, but it also naturally doubles as a battery saving mode due to its function simplicity and the ambient display.

So, what do you guys think? Do you see yourself using this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

2. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 4, 2019

KeepTransisting, Feb 4, 2019 :
    This is a really cool thought. Would definitely help me not dick around with my phone as much at work

3. Starcommander Honeycomb Feb 20, 2019

Gibbi03 likes this.
  4. Gibbi03 Eclair Feb 20, 2019

Starcommander likes this.