#PMChallenge Free-Form Multitasking

1. Kyle Jade Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Kyle Jade, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Introduction

My proposed function may be seen as a sort of 'picture in picture 2.0' feature. I for one find myself getting frustrated with the way the current split-screen feature not only works, but more so how it is initiated, it just doesn't feel intuitive. I believe with the amount of RAM our powerful Oneplus devices now come with, the multitasking system could be quite comfortably taken to the next level. Let's remove some boundaries and add some flow, let's bring the H2 to Oxygen OS.

The Feature

Who are the users?

I believe anyone looking to get more out of their powerful hardware could use this added functionality to do wonders.

What is the proposed function?

My idea brings a new layer to the multitasking experience while being as intuitive and smooth as possible. From the recent apps list, one would simply be able to long press on an app window to unlock it into free-form mode:
    IMG_20190220_223110__01-02.jpeg
    And from there not only be able to move it wherever they wish, by holding on the app icon centered in the top of the window, but also have the option to drag a corner to resize the window to any desired size and aspect ratio:
    IMG_20190221_000303-01.jpg
    The free form windows can also be collapsed into a minimised floating icon state (as shown in the scetch above), to declutter when needed. Both the free-form windows and the minimised icon forms of them can be closed by dragging them to the bottom edge of the screen. And double tapping the window's icon will expand the app to full-screen in the foreground.

As a bonus trick to this feature, dragging a window to the top of the display could trigger the split screen functionality (i.e locking it to the top half and prompting the user to pick from the recent apps to fill the bottom half) if one so chooses to use that anyway.

What is the user value?

I feel that modern smartphone hardware is reaching the point of overkill. By being able to do more with the extra RAM this way, users can truly feel the bang for their buck, and be given the sense that they aren't restrained in how they are able to multitask or by the way this multitasking is initiated.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

I have seen a similar feature apparent in some Samsung devices, but their implementation definitely feels bare bones. The ways in which my idea of it would be superior, would be in the way it is modernised, more refined, and smoother with animations and flowing with drags of the finger.

How do I feel it should be implemented?

Well I feel the feature could be an ever evolving/improving one, released at launch with the new Oneplus device, and refined over time with future updates. I don't see it replacing or getting in the way of any existing Oxygen OS features, but merely working alongside and with them.

Conclusion

I believe that if this feature has already been shown to work on outdated Samsung devices, then it is surely a feasible option in our now high-end Oneplus devices. I see it creating not only a more productive, desktop-like, multitasking experience, but also simply creating an exciting feature everyone will want to use and be proud they are able to. Many apps developed nowadays have inbuilt support for varying aspect ratios, and those that don't can simply be 'cut' into by the free-form window's borders, I think as time goes by we will see less of these apps anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks to any member of the Oneplus team who takes the time to read my proposal, I put a lot of hard work and thought into it. I hope to see this feature in Oneplus devices at some point, even if it isn't with me winning.

#neversettle

Attached Files:

G1550774056881, mahyunk and Ruby G. like this.
  2. anupritaisno1 KitKat Feb 21, 2019

anupritaisno1, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Excellent suggestion

One question: Google does not allow OEMs to change the multiwindow implementation as it would break apps. How does your suggestion handle the issue of app scaling?

Kyle Jade likes this.
  3. Kyle Jade Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Kyle Jade, Feb 21, 2019 :

anupritaisno1

Excellent suggestion

One question: Google does not allow OEMs to change the multiwindow implementation as it would break apps. How does your suggestion handle the issue of app scaling?​

I was not aware Google did not allow this specifically. But as I mentioned in my conclusion, if the apps cannot be scaled then simply being cropped into by the free form windows borders would still make for a very useful feature I feel.
    I believe this is how it is handled on the Samsung devices that have this similar feature aswell.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

4. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Feb 21, 2019

Ruby G., Feb 21, 2019 :
    Hey Kyle! Thanks so much for your entry, I thought the flow was explained very well. :)

Kyle Jade likes this.
  5. mahyunk Froyo Feb 21, 2019

mahyunk, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Just when you think that there are not anymore ideas left,
    Boom! comes an awesome idea out of nowhere ;)

Kyle Jade likes this.
  6. G1550774056881 Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

G1550774056881, Feb 21, 2019 :

Omg I would LOVE this feature on my phone!! What an amazing and innovative idea. Wow!!!

Kyle Jade likes this.