#PMChallenge - Full Backup & Restore

1. Pramath_Kelkar
    Cupcake Feb 6, 2019

Pramath_Kelkar , Feb 6, 2019 :
    Hello OnePlus Community,
    Firstly thanks @Ruby G. , @Gary C. and all the other people working in software team for this amazing contest!
    It was fun and challenging creating this project and see myself as a " Designer " . So, without further do, this is my idea for a new OxygenOS feature.

Background

While using Android from last 4-5 years, I was very annoyed that the simple feature like app backup and restore is not available in the OS. Now that I am a OnePlus user, and fortunately I saw this challenge I finally got the opportunity to present my idea to the company who listens to their customers.

Q.Who are the users?
    Anyone who wants to backup their data to the cloud services like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.
    Q.What is the proposed function?
    Users can easily backup and restore their data on to the cloud services with a single tap and a periodic backup schedule.
    Q.What is the user value?
    To make the end user's life more easy by giving them the option of full backup of their phones. With that, when the user wants to upgrade his/her phone or wants to do the factory reset, They don't have to connect their phones to their PCs.
    Q.If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    There are individual apps to backup SMSs, Contacts, Call logs, Apps, etc. but there is unfortunately no feature baked up into the Android OS till date to completely backup the device.

Logic behind this product and how I want it to be implemented:

The Backup and Restore option should be completely based on either cloud services offered from OnePlus or with the use of 3rd party cloud services like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.
    This feature should be able to backup all of your settings of the launcher (like wallpapers, icons/widget setups, etc.) and should provide the options of layouts for homescreen (much like Nova Launcher.), In Apps backup page, this feature should be able to backup the data of the application too (like titanium backup), The contacts backup option is already implemented in the OS, but the call logs backup option should also be included, Messages backup option should also be included (like WhatsApp chat backup & Restore),in this way the user will be able to setup their new phones easily.

I am providing the basic idea of the UI below:
    (don't judge my drawing :p)
    New Doc 2019-02-06 15.02.49.jpg

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS, PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS IN COMMENTS BELOW!!!

Crystal Z. and Y1539328960536 like this.
  2. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 6, 2019

GopalB. , Feb 6, 2019 :
    OnePlus switch can do all this minus cloud upload...

And I think this can result in a lawsuit... :p
    Whatsapp does that for you!!!

3. Pramath_Kelkar
    Cupcake Feb 6, 2019

Whatsapp is using Google Drive to backup your chats, that is not their own technology.

AND about OnePlus Switch,
    Yes, OnePlus switch can do that but it's only for OnePlus Phones and the OnePlus switch can't be used if the user wants to reset(Format) his phone and then restore the data again.

OnePlus_Kingpin likes this.
  4. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 6, 2019

GopalB. , Feb 6, 2019 :
    What the hell are you talking!!!
    So using Google Drive to store the backup of your data is not your technology anymore!!!

Well... We are talking about features for "OnePlus Phones" only...

You can always move that data to PC or cloud before format and there a restore option in Switch...

5. Pramath_Kelkar
    Cupcake Feb 6, 2019

GopalB.

What the hell are you talking!!!
    So using Google Drive to store the backup of your data is not your technology anymore!!!​

There are many applications which are doing the same thing.. So I don't think there's a issue of lawsuit.

6. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 6, 2019

GopalB. , Feb 6, 2019 :
    Whatsapp chat data is encrypted for a reason...

7. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Feb 6, 2019

B_Wrath , Feb 6, 2019 :
    OnePlus switch does everything you say. And it works on every device. Now on ios as well.
    Only thing which it lacks is cloud upload. But you can do that manually too.

8. Pramath_Kelkar
    Cupcake Feb 6, 2019

The point of this feature is,
    We don't have to use PC everytime we want to do a backup/restore.
    Just like iCloud.

9. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 6, 2019

GopalB. , Feb 6, 2019 :
    How could you!!! :rolleyes:

10. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Feb 6, 2019

B_Wrath , Feb 6, 2019 :
    Nostalgia. Actually doing physical activity like good old days:rolleyes:

GopalB. likes this.
  11. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 6, 2019

GopalB. , Feb 6, 2019 :
    You are not a sloth anymore!!! :confused:

12. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Feb 6, 2019

B_Wrath , Feb 6, 2019 :
    You actually wrote a thread. I didn't.
    I'm more sloth than you are:p

GopalB. likes this.
  13. GopalB.
    Nougat Feb 6, 2019

14. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Feb 6, 2019

B_Wrath , Feb 6, 2019 :
    I'll claim (I mean my minions will claim) anything to grab that president post:p

GopalB. likes this.