1. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 5, 2019

gauravsood1991, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    *Everyone Looking Secure random Password

What is the proposed function?
    *Alert Slider Downward Spring action to Generate a Password

What is the user value?
    *Great Secure Password for their application

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    *Only Apps can do this. This new feature is not baked into any OS yet.
    Requires External Application till this date to achieve this functionality.

Attached Files:

2. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 5, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Lmao

Neddard and Sharinnn like this.
  3. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 5, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Just out of curiosity:
    • How is this better than a password manager?
    • Would the alert slider lose its functionality? Would it only work with your intended use?
    • How would you memorize those passwords?
    • You need random passwords far less than you need to change the notification sound settings. Why waste the alert slider on something that is done so seldomly?

FlixbusLennart, Baymax and Sharinnn like this.
  4. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 5, 2019

gauravsood1991, Feb 5, 2019 :

• How is this better than a password manager?
    It is not better, but an extension. you don't have to do two to three clicks or 3 taps to get a random password
    • Would the alert slider lose its functionality? Would it only work with your intended use?
    Alert Slider would have a downward spring action (new action) to generate the passwords based on preconfigured conditions. The slider will retain its old upward movement of sound settings
    • How would you memorize those passwords?
    the app inside the phone will keep a history of just passwords, no username.
    • You need random passwords far less than you need to change the notification sound settings. Why waste the alert slider on something that is done so seldomly?
    the alert slider is not losing its previous functionality of sliding up. It would just have a spring action in the downward direction from its normal sound setting location.

People need to make manual entries for these passwords in apps like LastPass or password 1 or One plus can ask their, user, to fill out the URL and username when the user logs into the phone for the last password generated using the slider action.

5. stjin Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

stjin, Feb 6, 2019 :
    This is a horrible idea.

How do you want to make this possible? the slider can't just spring back up. Its not mechanical.

6. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 6, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 6, 2019 :
    So, even assuming that a new Alert Slider is added to new phones, are you saying that if you have your phone set to Silent, you need to set it Ring to generate a password?

7. v0 HaVoK 0v Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 6, 2019

8. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 6, 2019

gauravsood1991, Feb 6, 2019 :
    from any position, it just goes down via the spring action, but apply more force then it starts behaving like normal slider for downward motion

9. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 6, 2019

Do you know any switch that works like what you just described?

10. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 6, 2019

Well, i saw something like this 3 years ago somewhere

11. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 6, 2019

I've never heard of such a thing. How does the switch "know" if you're simply changing to Ring or if you're enabling your password generator...?

12. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 6, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Were you eating wild mushrooms at the time?

13. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 6, 2019

i am just guessing..they might have a pressure sensor..if that pressure exceeds some value in less than described millisecond then it a normal ring down otherwise a constant pressure of 1 second will give you new password .

14. SleekNGuilty Donut Feb 6, 2019

SleekNGuilty, Feb 6, 2019 :
    I know I will sound mean but that not what i want.
    @gauravsood1991 , please stop posting entries just to post them. Think of one good entry, develop it carefully, and go with it.
    This entry spamming is annoying, I've seen at least three entries from you.
    The goal of this initiative is to improve OxygenOS for everyone, not to win the competition

Tobikage, Baymax and laiosg like this.
  15. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 6, 2019

just ignore it I would say. I mean everyone has the right to post and like everyone, you have the right to criticise.

16. Madnezz4Ever Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 6, 2019

Madnezz4Ever, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Not needed as there's already apps that can generate random passwords for you not to mention websites also.

17. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 6, 2019

I am just reducing the number of steps to get that password .. i mean you have to 2 to 3 steps to get that password in any present platform

18. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 6, 2019

And again, how does that justify a dedicated physical button? Hope many random passwords does an average user need?

I am person with a big online footprint, I use a unique password for each website I login to and I have little over 100 passwords. That's for years worth of Internet access.

Baymax likes this.
  19. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 6, 2019

What About the Newbies who are just entering the internet? I mean you can phase these features out in future release just like old features. Android Removes and Add a lot ... You know it better ... And you don't need to implement the custom slider ..use a gesture of making a "P" on the screen

20. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 6, 2019

The idea proposed by you is to have a physical button, not a gesture. Still, gestures only work with the screen off. If you have the screen on, you'll just move around the page / app.

And even assuming that is possible (which it isn't) how is that any better than the built-in password manager feature the phone already has since Android Oreo with Autofill?

Baymax likes this.