#PMChallenge - Gesture Anywhere

?

How did you find this feature?

1. Good

2. Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SAREEN279 Cupcake Feb 19, 2019

SAREEN279, Feb 19, 2019 :
    Hello all OnePlus-ites ... Below is my submission of the 'next feature we want in our OnePlus' aka #PMChallenge.
    OnePlus has been pretty sublime in implementation of gestures in their devices as they are pretty useful and make the UX much more efficient.
    We have navigation gestures and gestures when Screen is off , but what I'm putting forth today is a simple but useful feature - Gesture Anywhere.

Who are the users ? - Almost each and every user will be able to make use of this feature. Just setup according to your whims and fancies , and your phone is more "yours"! As OnePlus loves to let users personalise their phones more than anyone in this industry , this will get you up one more step.

What is the proposed function ? - Gesture Anywhere will allow you to create custom gestures to launch applications and shortcuts that can be used anywhere at anytime. Simply activate the gesture overlay by touching the user defined trigger region and draw your gesture to launch that application or activity. In simple words , when the trigger region opens , you just draw an "S" to open the settings app , or draw an "H" to direct dial to your Home. And the beauty of this feature is you would be able to do this from anywhere - be it in any social networking app , any system app or any other app.

What is the user value ? - Who doesn't want to save time , be more efficient and (look cool in front of others as well!). The user will totally like and use this valuable feature as it is a step towards proficiency.

Existing comparable functions - Though this feature is not yet implemented in any stock ROMs in the Smartphone Industry , it has been implemented in some Custom ROMs. So we surely will be the first ones to implement it in Stock ROMs. How this will be better than the ones in Custom ROMs ? - It will interact more properly with the existing feature as it will become a "stock" feature. Also materialistic UI and user-friendly approach can make this feature more awesome.

Step by step approach -

You can set whatever shape , letter , etc you want as the gesture and what process you want it to perform such as open any app , activity (set a reminder , call someone , etc. ) via the settings. You can also set the width of swipe , position from where when you swipe will this feature start (e.g. - swipe from upper half of right side , etc.)

After you have setup the feature , all you have to do is just swipe from whichever side you have selected , then the gesture area will open up.

Then draw the gesture you had saved before and viola ! Whichever action you had chosen will be performed. So simple yet so efficient , isn't it?

Also , the ability for users to draw their own gestures will have following advantages -
    1. Leading to better customisation
    2. Will not limit the number of gestures we can have ( which will be the case if we only provide pre-built gestures )
    3. Users will find it more better as they can now record gesture according to what action they want ! ( e.g. - "S" for settings , "H" for Home , etc. whereas pre-built will not have any relevance to what action you want to be performed )

Screenshot_20190219-154838~2.png Screenshot_20190219-154853~2.png

This one feature will make the phone a perfect one !
    Also , as I have mentioned above , this will increase the functionality and user-friendliness of the device.
    This feature is also easy to implement.
    You can comment below if you have any doubts regarding this feature.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

2. Gaston NP KitKat Moderator Feb 19, 2019

mahyunk and SAREEN279 like this.
  3. Babu_rao_apte Donut Feb 19, 2019

Babu_rao_apte, Feb 19, 2019 :
    Idea is good, no doubt but allowing users to record their own gestures will lead to bad if not horrible UX. I can't even imagine the accidental triggers some gestures will cause.

SAREEN279 likes this.
  4. SAREEN279 Cupcake Feb 19, 2019

There won't be a possibility of accidental triggers as you will first have to swipe from right or left extreme of the screen to activate this feature , then you will have to draw your gesture!
    Also , the ability for users to draw their own gestures leads to better customisation as we will have to limit the number of pre-built gestures to be given. Whereas if they can make their own gestures , they can have as many as they want !

5. Babu_rao_apte Donut Feb 19, 2019

Babu_rao_apte, Feb 19, 2019 :
    The gestures used to trigger your function will definitely conflict with existing gestures.

For example, if I were to swipe right to go towards shelf and it was the same gesture set to trigger your function, it will result in a conflict.

Besides, I think you should allow users to choose from a preset of gestures (which OnePlus already does) since, gestures will only be effective when they can be registered in a continuous motion. Complex shapes and letters, for example the letters, W and Q can't be used effectively.

Please take this as constructive feedback, im not being impolite. Avoid exclamation marks if you will. Thanks and good luck :smile:

SAREEN279 likes this.
  6. SAREEN279 Cupcake Feb 19, 2019

Babu_rao_apte

The gestures used to trigger your function will definitely conflict with existing gestures.

For example, if I were to swipe right to go towards shelf and it was the same gesture set to trigger your function, it will result in a conflict.

Besides, I think you should allow users to choose from a preset of gestures (which OnePlus already does) since, gestures will only be effective when they can be registered in a continuous motion. Complex shapes and letters, for example the letters, W and Q can't be used effectively.

Please take this as constructive feedback, im not being impolite. Avoid exclamation marks if you will. Thanks and good luck​

I'm sorry if you found the exclamation marks offending but it was just my way of expression.
    1. We can include the preset gestures which are already present and then use them with these.
    But please correct me if I'm wrong , those preset gestures work only when screen off , or also when screen On?
    2. If any user has set Shelf on "swipe right" , we can program for this to be set to "swipe left" by default , or vice-versa. Also Height and Width of the trigger can be managed (e.g. - only lower half , middle part of the right/left screen)

Babu_rao_apte likes this.