#PMChallenge - Gesture Launcher (easy and minimalist approach to launchers)

1. Ruwaine Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

Ruwaine, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Hello all, I would like to share my idea of a launcher that will be based on gestures to navigate and launch apps directly from the homescreen (thus named "Gesture Launcher"). Below and the attached PDFs further explain my idea regarding its implementation and its working concept, with its stated benefits.

Who are the users?
    Everyone can use it an it will be highly customizable according to each user's liking.

What is the proposed function?
    The proposed function is to allow the user to seamlessly and quickly launch apps directly from the homescreen using gestures (gestures which would even become second nature to users through muscle memory)

What is the user value?
    The value it would bring to users are:
    - Less cluttered Homescreen
    - Faster access to apps directly from the homescreen, and with more use; users may learn the gestures through muscle memory.
    - gives users a sense of high levels customizability and flexibility.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    1. There are similair apps in the play store, but not launchers.
    2. In its working principle, those current competitor apps first require it to be open.
    3. Thirdly, the predefined gestures need to be drawn within the app (draw gestures of the letter "Z" or "O",etc).
    The weakness of such competitor apps is that the app itself need to be open to work. Secondly the number of gestures are limited, and must be pre-assigned to each app and the user must memorize which gesture is assigned to the selected app.

This Gesture Launcher idea I proposed is superior because:
    - launching of apps can be done straight from the homescreen
    - unlike those competitor apps, these gestures do not need to be limitied to certain gesture types, and pre-assigned to each apps, and gestures memorized for each app. In Gesture Launcher, gestures will follow the logic and visual cues of a subfolder system.

Attached Files:

2. siva11qa Donut Feb 11, 2019

siva11qa, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Well gesture will always helpful for speed access or launch of apps, but the most difficult part is training the end user, drawing of specifc gesture on touch screen varies from user to user and also it never be same every time u draw, that is the reason apps are building gestures with common and simple shapes like S,O,L, etcc.

In ur first PDF u suggesting to launch 4 different apps with little variance of same gesture. If we implement that I am pretty much sure that only 2% of user can utilize by doing gestures accurately

laiosg likes this.
  3. Ruwaine Cupcake Feb 11, 2019

Ruwaine, Feb 11, 2019 :
    that is true, if the user is to execute the gesture accurately without looking on the screen it would be difficult. but if the user is looking on the screen, he may swipe towards the app icon that he/she wishes to launch. It would be like a different way to navigate through apps that the user wants, instead of using the app drawer or cluttered icons on the home screen.

thank you for your honest feedback [e]1f601[/e]

*edit let me just clear it up, app icons pop up as options to swipe to, so the user knows which icon to swipe to, to open. if that clears up more.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019