#PMChallenge give Apps Temporary Permissions

1. MarianBe
    Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

MarianBe , Feb 5, 2019 :
    Foreword
    Have you ever had to give an app some permissions for something you wanted to do and you revoked them afterwards? Why cant you give the App Permissions for only 5-Minutes or until it is backgrounded?

Who are the users?

If you ever wanted to post something on Facebook and link your location, you have to give them permisson. But maybe after you posted, you don't want facebook to be able to access your location in the background? Or you don't want whatsapp to have access to your microphone all the time?

What is the proposed function?

Basically, everytime an App asks for your Permission just have a little Dropdown where you can grant that permission temporary.
    You could add options like:
    -5 Minutes
    -24 Hours
    -until App is backgrounded
    -until Reboot

After that, the permission is automatically revoked and the App has to ask for that permission again if you want to use it
    If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

Nothing that i know of so far

Anything else?

upload_2019-2-5_13-1-36.png
    Under the do not ask again i would just add a checkbox that says something like: "temporary only"

2. G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ
    Eclair Feb 7, 2019

G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ , Feb 7, 2019 :
    heyyyy what the... I made a similar thread today XD I didn't know yours existed. Tho ig my approach is a bit different (just the generate report part mostly) Anyway good idea... Guess I was too late to join the party? :p

3. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 7, 2019

Moin2200 , Feb 7, 2019 :
    Agreed, this would be a very nice feature to have. I'm happy to tell you that android Q got you covered as this is one of the features google is implementing.

Loveit likes this.
  4. Loveit
    Jelly Bean Feb 7, 2019

Loveit , Feb 7, 2019 :
    This is a really good idea! Good thinking..

5. G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ
    Eclair Feb 7, 2019

Not really... Temporary app permission is not something stock android covers (atleast to my knowledge)

6. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 7, 2019

Moin2200 , Feb 7, 2019 :
    That's why i said android Q.
    It will be unveiled at google IO in may.

7. Loveit
    Jelly Bean Feb 7, 2019

Loveit , Feb 7, 2019 :
    The upcoming Android..First I heard about it though.

8. G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ
    Eclair Feb 7, 2019

Oh that would be convenient af XD

9. AnuC
    Eclair Feb 8, 2019

AnuC , Feb 8, 2019 :
    Some other skins do this. Like MIUI. I would like this in OnePlus.

10. siva11qa
    Donut Feb 10, 2019

siva11qa , Feb 10, 2019 :
    Yeah this would be more convenient if u have such feature like this, as I have gone through similar situations like this where I don't want to give some permissions but for the sake of initial activation or sign-in I was forced to give permissions. Though I can still modify later but I am too lazy to do that