#PMChallenge Google Assistant Screen off detection

1. BeastCheng
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

BeastCheng , Feb 20, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    All OnePlus owners should be beneficial to this feature, especially users that are integrated with Google products such as Search, Play Music, Calendar, Reminders, etc.

What is the proposed function?
    The proposed function is to allow screen-off hotword detection for Google Assistant. Allowing the OnePlus device to be controlled with the user's voice, preferably can recognize a specific user's voice for security reasons. To perform functions such as toggling bluetooth, playing music on Play Music/Spotify, play YouTube videos, check and reply messages and emails, etc.. Unlike Moto Voice, OnePlus' integration will offer a more stock Google Assistant experience.
    Please add notification reading on top of the vanilla Google Assistant SDK.

What is the user value?
    So users can set alarms without getting out of warm blankets, bright screen shining in their faces, play and control music from across the room, look for cooking recipes without dirtying the screen.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    As mentioned, comparable existing function with be Motorola's Moto Voice. However as I understand Moto Voice nowadays are far from stock Google Assistant, this is where OnePlus will shine. Basing heavily on the Google Assistant SDK for the pure experience. Thank of more of a 2014 Moto Voice than a 2019 Moto Voice

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented
    The logic behind this is to provide a Google Assistant experience that most smartphone users are already familiar, and make it more accessible. No need to reinvent the wheel, just need to let people use the wheel easier.

Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen
    [​IMG]

1. Screen off
    2. Hotword dected
    "Okay Google" or,
    "Hey OnePlus" or,
    "(Any custom hotword defined by user)"
    3. OSS logo used as speech detection indication, similar to the Google Assistant dots and the Alexa blue ring
    4a. Local Results
    Local results such as reading user's notifications, toggling functions, reading math calculation results, will be read off by the OSS logo, using the same graphics as illustration 3
    5a If an application is requested to be open, application will be scaled up from center of blank screen to fill the whole display.
    4b. Web results
    Web results such as "Cheap restaurants around me" , "Show me pictures of cows" will prompt google assistant to slide up from bottom into view, input user's command.
    5b. Google Assistant will expand to full screen if needed.

4b-5b. Pure Google App interface

I hope this goes through, this is a feature that I have missed so much ever since I switched out of my Moto X 2014, and no new phone, even from Motorola or Google, have done since!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019