#PMChallenge - Include delete button in slide down option - SMS app

1. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Feb 4, 2019

camohan, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Hey Software team, hope you are doing good.

Today, I want to suggest a very small but IMO a very useful feature which can enhance user experience and at the same time it does not require much design changes. I am not an expert though on design implementation.

To start with lets answer some of the questions

Who are the users?
    This feature can be added in any of the OnePlus device. So this is not device specific.

What is the proposed function?
    The proposed function is to get rid of spam or unwanted sms immediately.

What is the user value?
    The value addition this function or feature can provide is enable user to keep the message inbox clean.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    I have not seen it before, I may be wrong though as I have been using OnePlus phones from 4 years. However, I have seen this in custom roms.

Be sure to:
    -Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented
    In present times, the influx of spam calls and spam messages have increased manifold. I can speak from India perspective. In order to explain why this feature is important, let me give an example.

I was looking for a new house and I had registered my phone number at various online websites. Now my requirement of house is fulfilled but I still get atleast 3 to 5 sms daily for offers on new house. Moreover, some agencies sell phone numbers to other companies which increase the spam manifold.

With this new proposed feature, I can read the message by sliding down the notification shade and decide if I want to keep it or delete. Immediate delete button will enable the user to delete the sms instantly thereby getting rid of the spam.

-Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen. (See the design principles post if you’d like an example.)

Here is the sketch. Apologies for the ugly handwriting and a shabby home screen :

Message screen_001.png
    My proposal here is to add the delete button highlighted in green above.

We will use the following questions to scrutinize your pitch:
    From the Product department – does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    Yes, I believe this will be burdenless experience as it will really not consume much of the RAM or battery.
    From the developers - how will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    The proposed function will interact with messaging app and therefore the other parts of the OS will not be affected.
    From UX Design – what will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?
    User will be able to reduce clutter and spam instantly.

I hope this meets the basic criteria of the PM challenge concept and adds value to the users and to the existing Oxygen OS.

Cheers.

2. rameshshreyas Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2019

rameshshreyas, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Like your feature. But usually spam messages in india come from those non-number entities, the ones where you can not reply back. In such a case Messages have an option to archive it. Keeps the inbox clutter free as you wished.

3. BeingIncog Marshmallow Feb 4, 2019

4. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Feb 4, 2019

camohan, Feb 4, 2019 :
    I doubt if the stock app has archive option. Plus my proposal is to have the sms deleted from the slide down notification and not block a particular number or a alphanumeric sender.

5. rameshshreyas Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2019

Yeah, I mostly use Android Messages as I dig the Material Design 2.0 theme.
    Archiving or Deleting what you prefer and why?

6. camohan Marshmallow Moderator Feb 4, 2019

camohan, Feb 4, 2019 :
    I still don't see the archive option available in the default sms app provided in OxygenOS.

I would prefer delete option simply because I want a permanent solution. Archiving will only keep the messages hidden.

On another note, as long as I can take action without going into the messaging app, plus sms do not use much space archiving is also ok, it's better to have something than nothing.

The end objective is to keep the inbox clean and use the available option from side down option.

7. rameshshreyas Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2019

Agreed.

camohan likes this.
  8. Betonistu Eclair Feb 5, 2019

Betonistu, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I like this idea, I'm also a fun of a "clean message inbox".
    If I may add something, I'd say to provide an option to delete a message using the swipe left move, same as for mails and notifications. This would make the user experience more consistent across all device's functions.

4224raj and camohan like this.
  9. FaleshC KitKat Feb 7, 2019

FaleshC, Feb 7, 2019 :
    i would like this as well, i always want to delete my messages that i read already or are no longer required like temporary verification messages. this will make it alot easier to get rid of those messages.

RandomUserOne and camohan like this.
  10. dsouza.bradford Donut Feb 7, 2019

camohan likes this.
  11. siva11qa Donut Feb 11, 2019

siva11qa, Feb 11, 2019 :
    I 2 like to have this option, but keeping the delete option at notification level itself isn't kind of giving access to any 2nd person to delete u r important messages even with out ur notice like OTP, bank statements, withdrawal messages etc..

I was thinking of the same feature since some time for Gmail and Googled all overed the place finally realized this could be possible reason for not providing delete option at notification level.

I suggest instead of this, if some option provided to filter spam messages based on number, text, context for incoming messages that will help to look and clean once for all like spam folder in emails. Hope this is helpful