#PMChallenge Integrating Focus Mode in Native Clock/Timer app

1. G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ
    Eclair Feb 6, 2019

G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ , Feb 6, 2019 :
    Hello OnePlus community!

Yes we all have been there, trying to study or get some work done but your phone is constantly asking for your sweet attention and ruining your "Digital wellbeing" or "Screen time" (eww). Here is my idea to solve it!

To put it simply add a "focus mode" start buttok next to the standard start button in the timer app. To end the timer prematurely hold down the stop button for 10 seconds and enter the PIN on your device. While in focus mode app notifications are disabled and calls from whitelisted contacts are displayed. Yes simple I know!

One advantage of this approach is that people usually add timers to say "ok now I'm going to study for X hours" anyway, having a Focus mode would just improve their experience.

(The images below are edited to show what the feature would look like. Sorry for the ugly fonts.)
    1/3 The changed app interface. Just a added focus mode button.
    1549487448127.jpg
    2/3 Focus mode on
    1549487448254.jpg
    3/3 Asking pin for confirming exit.
    1549530543371.jpg

So this is how it would work. The button would basically pin the app. What is app pinning? It is a feature present from Android lollipop that basically doesn't allow the app to be changed until the overview button (the square button in navigation bar) is pressed and held, after which a pin is asked to unpin the app. It is useful if you don't want a person to change apps when you are handing them your phone just for a particular task.

(To OnePlus if they decide to select this) What are some things to keep in mind while implementing?
    If possible make sure not to let fingerprint to be a valid way to unpin. Keeping it too simple to unpin just makes it less useful due to slight mood shifts can sway a person to unpin the app quickly before having to think about if they really need to. Also yes the 10 second delay is necessary buffer to give the person time to think if unpining the device is really necessary.

Who are the users?
    Mainly targeted towards students trying to focus but is useful for anyone looking to cut some time from their phone usage.

What is the proposed?
    Integration of a focus mode in the native clock/timer app

What is the user value?
    People get in charge of their time spent on their phone and don't get distracted with app notifications.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    No other manufacturer that I know of have this kind feature which kind of baffles me considering the emphasis on "Digital Wellbeing" every one seems to be putting ahead.

Well I know the following questions were for the OnePlus team to use to scrutinize the pitch but these are my answers anyway.

Does it contribute to burdenless experience?
    Well what can be less burdening than not being able to use a phone? Ok kidding aside, the option is fairly simple for users to understand. Just a single "focus timer start" button. Also it avoid the problem of having a separate app for this particular feature which helps prevent it from being considered as "bloatware" for people who don't see value in it.

How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    Well to keep it simple it mostly interacts with only one app (i.e. The native clock app)

What will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?
    Well the user experience won't change much from the current flow as the current flow doesn't even allow this feature.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

Ruby G. and G_Arvind_Nair_WOdr like this.
  2. G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ
    Eclair Feb 6, 2019