#PMChallenge - Limit Application Usage

1. Bhumit_Kansara Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Bhumit_Kansara, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Dear Team,

We see many people all around the world are using their mobile devices most of the time. Sometimes they feel they want to reduce their usage. I have thought of an idea to add a feature which limits the usage of applications which may increase the productivity.

Who are the users?
    Any user who want to reduce the phone usage and facing difficulty to spare some time for themselves to achieve their goal.

What is the proposed function?
    - It can be a notifications app or a feature in Settings -> Limit Applications Usage.
    - The next screen will display list the social media apps, audio and video apps, gallery, etc.
    - The user has to select the app for which he/she wants to limit the usage.
    - After selecting the app, the next screen will display the duration of the usage i.e. 5 mins. to 30 mins. in a 5 mins. interval.
    - After selecting the duration, it will display options Notify Me, Close the App, Shutdown or Restart the Phone.
    - After that it will ask to save the settings.
    - Now when you start any application from the above mentioned apps, then it will start calculating the time and respond as per the options selected.

What is the user value?
    Users will get an opportunity to reduce their phone usage and spend quality time for family, friends and to achieve their life goals.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    As per my knowledge, there is no such feature available.

Be sure to:

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented
    - So once the app is started, the timer will start working and will match with the specified timings. The user will get notifications as per the selected duration which will further result in closing the app or restart the phone.

- Diagram sketches.
    Image attached.

We will use the following questions to scrutinize your pitch:
    From the Product department – does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    - Yes

From the developers - how will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    - There will be a connection between the processor, apps and notification model.

From UX Design – what will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?
    - Yes

Attached Files:

G_plusone likes this.
  2. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 21, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 21, 2019 :
    logical question... why should a company who makes money by selling the devices will make sure customers use their devices less and avoid upgrading to new devices when their old devices break?
    okay jokes aside, since Google already did it with Wellbeing, my logic is out of the window.

to tackle your idea, there are few 3rd party apps that do this, lock down the phone, lock down apps and some have strict implementation too.
    but in the end its the user who should have self control over how much time they spent on their phone and how its affecting them, if in any way.

i mean how can an app control your usage habit if you are already controlling the app?

3. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Feb 25, 2019

David Y., Feb 25, 2019 :
    When using the product hurts our users' relationship with their family and friends

Venky61, Shapeshift3r and Hydra Bob like this.
  4. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 25, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 25, 2019 :
    actually that was a rhetorical question.
    but then again i don't think a phone app can help anyone if they are not willing to help themselves in first place.
    thus the same.

5. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Feb 25, 2019

David Y., Feb 25, 2019 :
    That's true. It works as a reminder for most of the time.

Venky61 and YRJ like this.