#PMChallenge - Location aware system settings

1. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 4, 2019

KeepTransisting, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    Anyone who has the need for different settings to be changed based on home / work / school / other locations.

What is the proposed function?
    When the user arrives at a geofenced location, various settings change their values based on criteria that they set. For example, when I'm at home, I want my media volume at medium-low, my ringtone volume up a bit, as well as my wifi and bluetooth on. However, when I go to work, I want my media volume muted, ringtone at its lowest, and wifi off since I don't use my works wifi.

This could go even further by launching a certain app when entering the geofence, or sending a certain message (letting my wife know I'm home, for example).

What is the user value?
    Location based granular control over settings gives a user as little or as much customization as they desire, letting their phone actually perform exactly like the user wants it to without the need for a third party software such as Tasker.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

I've used Samsung and LG phones that had a function similar to this, but they were very restrictive in what they could accomplish (basically just allowing volume and wifi controls). Tasker can accomplish all of these, but it's not very user friendly at all, which is a major turn-off to an entry level customer.

By having these customizations integrated with the OxygenOS software, you can streamline the UI to make it simple for newcomers, as well as offer an advanced mode for power users.

[​IMG]

For a further example, here's how it looked on some older Samsung devices:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

2. Alex_Novak Honeycomb Feb 4, 2019

Alex_Novak, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Reminds me Motorola's Assist app that was available back in the day on Moto X in 2013. It was super useful but got deprecated, because Moto didn't care to evolve it's services and got sold to Lenovo eventually.

3. B_Wrath Lollipop Feb 4, 2019

B_Wrath, Feb 4, 2019 :
    This is a good suggestion. I used to have those NFC tags for my Xperia SL. Also, Tasker did a great job in my OP3.
    Would love to have this as an uninstallable app with proper permissions.

4. manuel25 Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

5. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 4, 2019

KeepTransisting, Feb 4, 2019 :
    I actually use Tasker for it at the moment, but it can be cumbersome. Any of these apps rely heavily on being a background service that's either not 100% reliable or can cause some battery drain.

That's the thing I love about Android, though. They can give us an empty OS and let us install everything from the Play Store and it would work. However, if I were to offer something as a suggestion, it would be this one due to the need for some system setting changes to require higher permissions (which you can't get without rooting)

B_Wrath likes this.
  6. G_Antonio_Taylor_XNiZ Eclair Feb 4, 2019

7. Blue-agila Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2019

Blue-agila, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Alot of it does not work without root

8. manuel25 Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

manuel25, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Of course... I can use a geofence to turn on and off my wifi, use UI Interactions to skip youtube ads, intergrate webhooks for integrating IFTTT and more

9. KeepTransisting KitKat Feb 4, 2019

10. Gibbi03 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

11. gauravsood1991 Froyo Feb 6, 2019

Gibbi03 likes this.
  12. Gibbi03 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

Gibbi03, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Valid. I feel like there's quite a few feature proposals that probably won't be picked for that same reason. Not to be annoying, but I feel like mine is pretty original, yet I don't have that many views.. if you want to check it out, I'd like to know what you think. Here's a link

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/pmchallenge-focus-mode.995305/