#PMChallenge - Make Alert Slider the Super Slider

1. rahul_kalidindi
    Froyo Feb 6, 2019

rahul_kalidindi , Feb 6, 2019 :
    Hey guys,

Glad that OnePlus is welcoming features from the community. And the community seems to respond with great suggestions. And here's my entry!

One of the great hardware feature that OnePlus provides in almost all of its models is the Alert Slider. This is the great way to simply flip the switch and change the profile of the phone to Ring/Vibrate/Silent. Although its a great nifty feature, but I believe so much more can be done with this hardware when given customisation to a Power User.

Who are the users?
    This is applied to every user who wants to customise his/her Alert Slider to his/her liking and make it a Super Slider!!!

What is the proposed function?

In the Settings -> Buttons & Gestures -> Alert Slider, add an option to customise the actions for each profile.

Somewhere here,

1549456657234.jpg

Each profile can be renamed apart from Silent/Vibration/Ring.

The following system settings can be customised for each profile:

Ring Volume

Vibration Mode

Mobile Data ON/OFF

Wi-Fi ON/OFF

Bluetooth ON/OFF

Location ON/OFF

Any system settings...

Apart from the above system settings, the profile change can also perform app changes like:

Send a pre-configured message to someone.

Auto reply to someone when a call is received.

Auto reply to message when pre-defined used messages you.

Invoke App Activities. For example: Perform a certain task in pre-installed apps.

Ability to map the IFFFT Applets or Tasker Tasks when the profile is changes.

Sample Implementation:

With this new feature I can create 3 profiles:

Work:

Ringer will silent

Vibrate ON

Wifi OFF

Bluetooth OFF

Drive:

Ringer will Silent

Vibrate OFF

WiFi OFF

Bluetooth ON

Send a text message to my wife that I am on the way so that she can order me to get something on my way back.

Reject all the calls and send message automatically to caller that I am driving.

Using IFFFT/Tasked send instruction to me Thermostat to set a temperature or turn ON my geyser.

Home:

Ringer ON and set to 50% volume

WiFi ON

Bluetooth OFF

Switch ON my Alexa/Google Home to read out some news... And so on....

What is the user value?

This feature would give maximum control to the user on the Hardware and make maximum use of it. Since the profile is highly customisation, user can set their preferences to their liking and have a sense of ownership of the device.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    None of the devices in the market has the Alert Slider hardware switch. Many tech bloggers appreciate this slider and giving more customisation option to the user using this would greatly enhance the user experience.

Many users, might come back saying that we can use IFFFT/ Tasker for this, but they run a constant background process that uses battery to get the event trigger information. Using the Alert Slider, the switch can turn into the trigger for the event so that there will be no effect on the battery consumption.

Feel free to debate on adding any customisation that users might be looking for in the Alert Slider and make it SUPER SLIDER !!!

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

2. SleekNGuilty
    Donut Feb 6, 2019

SleekNGuilty , Feb 6, 2019 :
    No, the slider is a staple of one plus phones.
    If they added this it wouldn't be characteristic anymore. Also few users will use this because we already have nice shortcuts so it's not needed and overly specific
    It could also be triggered by accident

laiosg likes this.
  3. rahul_kalidindi
    Froyo Feb 7, 2019

rahul_kalidindi , Feb 7, 2019 :
    User can always have a choice. Atleast the power users who use apps like IFTTT or Tasker will rejoice.

Also, these can be modified explicitly by the user based on their choice. So, its upto the user to decide to use the default or customise the profile.

The shortcuts that u mentioned have to be triggered either by location, time or by unlocking the screen and clicking the button. Why not simplify everything when you already have a hardware button at your disposal.

That's my thought though! It's upto OnePlus team to evaluate the feasibility... :)

YRJ likes this.
  4. Duckegg
    Donut Feb 19, 2019

Duckegg , Feb 19, 2019 :
    I can agree to this. More functionality and the option of customisation of the alert slider would be awesome.

Better utilisation of the hardware we already have.

5. spysky
    Gingerbread Feb 21, 2019

spysky , Feb 21, 2019 :
    It's such a simple and useful button, I just don't understand why OnePlus insists in per-determine what it should do.
    Please implement this suggestion.

6. T1550941990639
    Cupcake Feb 23, 2019

7. YRJ
    Lollipop Feb 23, 2019

YRJ , Feb 23, 2019 :
    I have responded to your allegation in the original thread. Should you have any issues feel free to get back. I am here.
    Good Day :)

8. Neddard
    Lollipop Feb 24, 2019

mahyunk and YRJ like this.