#PMChallenge Manual Display Screen timeout On/Off

1. Drshray Donut Feb 10, 2019

Drshray, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Hi, thank you for this opportunity to give our ideas for a new feature!

My idea allows the display screen timeout setting to be manually controlled when the user wishes. It is explained below.

Product Requirements Document:

Who are the users?

All OnePlus users. This could be particularly useful when using your device during work, when sharing information during work or with a friend/family member or just when reading a long document/article. For example. If you are using your device and wish to use information from an email, document or picture to input on another device or simple write it down; it would be very useful to be able to manually keep the screen on whilst carrying out that action.

Proposed function

To allow manual control of the display sleep setting with a gesture action in any screen. This is to allow the screen display to keep on until you wish to revert back to your original display sleep settings for security and battery life saving.

User value

This allows convenient control of the screen display timeout during tasks/when you wish for it to remain on, and still retain your general display sleep settings to maintain device security and also preserve battery life when you require the normal settings to be active. This allows great efficiency and flexibility for the user.

It also saves time and avoids the need to go into display sleep settings each time you wish to have the screen on for a period of time during work or for a particular task requiring the display to be on continually.

Existing function in the smartphone industry

As far as I am aware, this software or user interface function in this form, is not available on any devices that I have used from different manufacturers. This could be a unique OnePlus feature.

The screen diagrams explain how this could be implemented in the current OxygenOs interface.

1549813745506.jpg

View attachment 970778
    This shows how this feature could be gesture based and added as an option to the existing gesture controls as a two finger action.

1549813770442.jpg

View attachment 970779
    This shows how by swiping down with two fingers in the middle of the screen the display timeout setting is turned off.

1549813784841.jpg

View attachment 970780 This shows the display sleep timeout setting as off now, thus keeping the screen on continually.

1549813883970.jpg

By swiping down again in the middle of the screen, this allows the display screen timeout settings to be turned back on as per the usual settings (eg 30 seconds timeout etc..)
    1549813810007.jpg

View attachment 970781
    This message on the screen shows the settings have been turned back on.
    If for example the user forgets to do this. On locking the phone, the phone reverts back to the original user settings.

I hope this is clear.

Thank you.

Shray

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

Ruby G. likes this.
  2. buntycubal Lollipop Feb 10, 2019

Drshray likes this.
  3. Drshray Donut Feb 10, 2019

buntycubal likes this.
  4. Drshray Donut Feb 10, 2019

Drshray, Feb 10, 2019 :
    just done this. thanks for the advice.

buntycubal likes this.
  5. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 11, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Hi there,

How would the phone differentiate the gesture from you actually using the screen? As an example, Google Maps uses the same gesture you mentioned above to tilt the map.

Drshray and FlixbusLennart like this.
  6. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 11, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Feb 11, 2019 :

This exactly. I like the idea, but I'd make it a quick settings tile. It's just more convenient anyways and has proven it's usability over the years in custom ROMs, called caffeine mode

Drshray and dsmonteiro like this.
  7. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 11, 2019

8. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 11, 2019

Drshray and dsmonteiro like this.
  9. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 11, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Exactly this.

10. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 11, 2019

Drshray likes this.
  11. Drshray Donut Feb 11, 2019

Drshray, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Thanks for the replies guys. I did think a tile option was good too. Gestures may be tricky with some apps. Just seemed a cool way of doing it!

dsmonteiro likes this.