#PMChallenge Manually allowing apps to run in the background!

1. G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ Eclair Feb 8, 2019

G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Hello OnePlus Users!
    Ever had to listen to YouTube but at the same time use another app that just won't work in splitscreen?
    Ever encountered a game in which the game wants to huge download files but it asks you to keep the app open the entire download as the download stops once you hit home button?
    Happen to have any apps that requires it to be in front of the sceen or it wont work?

Well here is the solution for you!
    Basically an option that would allow the app to run in background. But the app would consider that it is running in the foreground!

1549628583975.jpg

1549628584117.jpg

Sorry for the terrible fonts. As you can see the app would show up in the notification showing that it running in the background. (Again making it clear the app thinks that it id running in the foreground so it would function as usual. In this particular case the sound from YouTube would keep playing even though we have returned to the home screen.)

Who are the users?
    Everyone!

What is the proposed function?
    Allowing people to manually background the app but allow it to run in full mode and with full functionality in the background!

What is the user value?
    Many times there are apps which demand the app to be running and not let us switch to any other app. Best example is of games which try to huge download files (upwards of 1GB even) in the game after being installed in playstore! And it expects us to stare at the screen with the loading bar until it finishes which can take eternity! (Well depending on internet speed) Otherwise the app would just stop downloading content in the background. This feature would take care of that.

1549628598054.jpg

1549628598233.jpg

(Example game)

Also it helps in the case where multitasking is necessary but the app doesn't support multitasking or the user just doesn't want to see the app running in the foreground.

[MAJOR ADDITIONAL NOTE] Since the app is technically in background it should also work if the screen is off. For example hiding the YouTube app and then switching off the screen would still allow the sound to come through!

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    I don't know any app or any manufacturers that allow this functionality.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

Ruby G., TanviMathur and krcavojt like this.
  2. krcavojt Donut Feb 10, 2019

krcavojt, Feb 10, 2019 :
    I like the idea. I use Strava for recording my activities but OOS kills it after certain time even when I set everything to make it run correctly in the background. Your fetature would allow it to run without any troubles.

3. G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ Eclair Feb 10, 2019

G_Suraj_Parui_tlzZ, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Thanks for the review. I didn't think of that but yeah that would work too!