1. themantramanan Eclair Feb 18, 2019

themantramanan, Feb 18, 2019 :
    OnePlus Product Manager Challenge

Product Idea by:

Mantra Manan Saraswat

Product/Feature Idea Name:

Minimalist Mode

Product Description:

A toggle-switch in the notification toggle to instantly change your UI to a very minimalist one with feature phone features (Phone, Messages, Camera etc) which can be edited and designed by the user to their own liking in the Settings App of the phone. Basically, this makes the phone go into Ultra-Battery Saving Mode in addition to only the necessary services (for the user which may be different for everyone) being active and the rest being temporarily shut-off. The UI can be modified by the user as well. Some people with smaller hands would want the applications to be very much one-hand accessible when in this mode, so we can shift the necessary icons to one side or to the bottom.

Product Features:

·The Main Screen will only show a selected few application icons. (Phone, Messages, Camera etc.)

·The application tray can be edited to accommodate a certain number of applications. No heavy applications will be allowed; only feature and productive applications will be allowed.

·The background will be pitch-black to take advantage of the AMOLED screen for battery saving purposes.

·The CPU can be under-clocked when ‘Minimalist Mode’ is activated to save on battery.

·The background tasks can be limited to save on battery.

·The UI will be very basic with only a couple of icons towards one side of the phone (bottom, sides), a pitch black background and maybe an accent colour at the borders of the screen.

·This feature will require a special password to enable/disable.

·The UI can be mildly edited/designed by the user in the settings section according to their personal needs.

·People can schedule their phones to switch this mode on during specific times of the day.

Who are the users?

·Anyone who wants a detox from excess mobile usage.

·Anyone who wants to stay-off the Internet & Social Media for a while and just be connected to close ones through text messages & phone calls.

·Anyone who wants to save massively on battery power. The person might be traveling, might not have a charger/power outlet in the vicinity and might not have a chance to charge the phone for a while.

·Anyone who wants a one-handed usage of the phone with feature phone like features.

·Anyone who doesn’t want to spend too much of his time on his phone temporarily. E.g. Students during exams.

What is the proposed function?

The idea is to have a mode which:

·Increases battery life massively

·Offers basic phone features

·Allows one-handed usage

What is the user value?

People can massively increase their productivity using this particular feature in their phones. We see people are extremely engrossed in their smartphones in today’s world, sometimes by choice and other times because their work revolves around it. Studies have shown that our dependence on gadgets of today and internet have inhibited our real-life social interactions, sports and other tangible experiences of our daily lives. This feature allows people to stay connected while limiting their usage on a temporary basis. People can toggle this feature on/off according to their needs. This increases their productivity, and allows them to stay connected without the need for constantly checking Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook or play any games etc. People can also schedule this mode to be switched-on during specific times of the day.

Existing Comparable Functions?

·Samsung used to offer Ultra-Battery Saving Mode apart from the normal battery saving mode in their TouchWiz UI, but it slowed down the device immensely as all the applications were still accessible. They used to also offer a Grey Scale Mode too.

·Themes and Mods are available to achieve the feature phone like UI with basic functions, but there is no battery saving, no app restrictions and no performance throttling available in those as they are user implemented.

2.png

2.png

Minimalist Mode Toggle Switch in Notification Bar in the middle

Minimalist Mode Symbol (M IN Lithos Pro Font)

LOOK copy.png

LOOK copy.png

Settings Menu Position
    IMG_20190215_132257~01.jpg

IMG_20190215_132257~01.jpg
    Minimalist Mode Settings Menu
    1.png

1.png
    OnePlus Minimalist Mode in all its glory

IMG_20190215_132210.jpg

IMG_20190215_132210.jpg

Why and how did I get the idea for this product?

I have always longed for a phone which is small in size and serves my day-to-day needs well without interfering with my productivity. A bigger phone would mean I could watch Netflix, play games etc and waste a lot of my time. A smaller sized phone would limit that experience of mine. But at the same time, I need that high-performance experience in the phone and at times, I need entertainment as well. So I thought there must be a mode which allows me to retain my productivity. The Do-Not-Disturb Mode helps a bit but sometimes one just wants detox. Also, there have been times when I have been traveling to a remote place in the mountains and I couldn’t get a charging point anywhere. The battery saver can only do so much. The one-handed use is one I’ve craved for a long time and I especially miss my OnePlus X because of the same reason. Concentrating most of the icons in a smaller space at one side of the screen would help with that cause.

2. O1548853567832 Cupcake Feb 19, 2019

EvanChisholm and themantramanan like this.
  3. astracd Honeycomb Feb 19, 2019

astracd, Feb 19, 2019 :
    It would be nice to be able to freezz all apps (except the one you want to run 24/7) I like this idea as well.
    I hate that some apps run in background without us even starting them. And you have them on the phone as you need them one or twice per week. I wish I can block them and only activated when I start them.

themantramanan likes this.
  4. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 19, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 19, 2019 :
    If I just create a new user account, install only the essential apps, and switch to it when I want minimalism with my phone, how is this new mode that you suggested any different?

For absolute minimalism, I can simply turn off internet. No need for a new user account either.

themantramanan likes this.
  5. themantramanan Eclair Feb 19, 2019

themantramanan, Feb 19, 2019 :
    What I want is a mode which is capable of underclocking the CPU, stop unimportant background processes, goes to pitch black mode but still keeps you connected to the people close to you by calls and SMS. The point about the internet can still be debated but I wouldn't want that either in this mode because I'd like this to mode to be a 'DETOX' mode. A lot of people have a habit of picking up mobile and checking WhatsApp/Instagram. This basically becomes a habit and to kill that habit, this mode will only keep the essential apps on.

Your argument is valid that one can create a new user account but in my personal experience, I still see parts of it as wastage of space and there are other limitations to having a user account too which I'll write about in a while. It doesn't help with the battery and the background processes which actually keep running for certain non-essential apps even if you change accounts.

Google wellbeing was introduced so that people can keep a check on their phone usage. The minimalist mode will help you act on it and certain checks like password protection, third-user lock (basically somebody else controls the lock), and even statistical motivation can be provided.

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 19, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 19, 2019 :
    Under-clocking CPU - doesn't help in saving battery. It is a myth.

When you turn off internet, you know you won't receive any notification, except for phone and SMS. There is no reason why anyone would pick up the phone to check for notifications when they have turned off the internet.

Background processes - let Android handle it. Manually closing them doesn't save battery for you. That is another myth. Background services are often triggered by system events, so even if you force close a service, it will just restart automatically after a while.

If you want basic internet connectivity with only essential features, this would serve the purpose. Don't think there will be too much resource use by accounts in the background.

Digital Wellbeing and the like are only good for people with self control. For the rest, it is another tool to waste more time. Just like how many of us think smartphones are saving time in our lives. 3rd myth in our discussion. :)