#PMChallenge Most Recent Gesture

1. 8394RDS
    Cupcake Feb 11, 2019

8394RDS , Feb 11, 2019 :
    Who are the Users?
    - All OxygenOS users who use the "Recent" Gesture. Most beneficial for users who are:-
    1. Regular games players
    2. Business/Work specific users.
    What is the Proposed Function?
    As a user, I get regularly interrupted by off-the-phone tasks (talking with people, work-related etc.). Thus, I press home and/or locks screen and get to regular world tasks. Once the task is over, I want to get back to my Phone-task (Game, E-Mail, Docs etc.)
    A simple "Anti-clockwise circular Gesture" on the "Main Screen" will directly open the latest app. As a User, I no longer need to look at all recent tabs. The latest app will open up directly.

What is the user value?
    Any (real-world) task which takes the user away from Phone-screen can be termed a Distraction.
    As a user, I will be able to get back to my latest work immediately with help of a simple gesture. It will help in reducing distraction, improve user's focus and reduce time-to-action.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Currently, the "Recent" is opened in Android via Left Button:-
    upload_2019-2-11_17-38-17.png
    However, this shows all the recent tabs and doesn't take me directly onto the most recent application the user was interacting with. Here, User has to go through the following steps:-
    1. Press the Left Button interaction 2. All tabs are showcased and the user chooses the recent tab 3. User clicks on the Most Recent tab and it is then opened on full-screen.

OxygenOS has a gesture to showcase the recent tabs. However, the user steps (except 1.) stay the same.
    upload_2019-2-11_17-41-15.png

The above gestures have their own-use cases such as when the user wants to go through multiple tabs and thus, this split screen of recent tabs help him/her move faster, frequently and smoothly.

Our feature solves the user need of moving directly to the most recent app and get back to the task, away from distractions immediately. In this aspect, our feature stands at superiority.

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented
    At the very abstract level, the following are the steps to open up the most recent app:-
    1. Reach the Home (Main) Screen
    2. Draw an anti-clockwise circular gesture
    3. The most recent app is directly opened on full-screen.
    From a Tech standpoint, the implementation of this feature is very much feasible in Android. The two major points are:
    (a) Ability to figure out the circular gesture on the screen.
    (b) Ability to detect and open the most recent app.
    However, ensure that both left-hand and right-hand users are able to draw an anti-clockwise circular gesture using Index finger as well as Thumb (as angles differ).

Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen.
    Screen#1: User reaches the Home Screen
    upload_2019-2-11_18-8-11.png
    Screen#2: User interacts via our new Gesture

upload_2019-2-11_18-8-54.png
    Screen#3: Most recent App or Game gets directly opened.
    upload_2019-2-11_18-9-49.png

Note: What is the "Most Recent" app?
    The most recent app is the one with which the user interacted the last time.

Additional Note
    I showcased rough sketches to Android users (Total: 12 as of 11/02/2019) and results are as follows:-
    (1) Need it: 6 users (2) Want it: 3 Users (3) Good to Have: 3 Users.

Thanks a Lot for reading!

Ruby G. likes this.
  2. rajkiran20
    Donut Feb 25, 2019

3. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Feb 26, 2019

Venky61 , Feb 26, 2019 :
    There's already a gesture existing on Oxygen OS to switch to the last used app.
    "Swipe up from bottom to right and release".

4. 8394RDS
    Cupcake Feb 26, 2019

8394RDS , Feb 26, 2019 :
    Not the best gesture for this, design-wise. That gesture doesn't make sense. Cause-Effect relation doesn't match. We very well know an anti-clockwise is supposed to do- its for going back.

5. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 26, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 26, 2019 :
    If you really think this saves time, think again.

Also, I don't see drawing a circular gesture is any faster than clicking the recents button and choosing the app you want.

alessiodales likes this.
  6. 8394RDS
    Cupcake Feb 26, 2019

8394RDS , Feb 26, 2019 :
    Speed is not the biggest worry. The idea of choosing one among the recents is itself a distraction in my POV. The users needs to be directly on the same page and not have to go through multiple apps and choose one. Choice isn't always the best user experience.

7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 26, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 26, 2019 :
    if you want to access the most recent app, it is the first one on the recents screen. you don't have to go through multiple apps and can actually select it even without looking at your device.

8. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Feb 26, 2019

Venky61 , Feb 26, 2019 :
    If that's what you believe... All the best to you

9. 8394RDS
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2019

8394RDS , Feb 27, 2019 :
    I do know that. Its still cognitively a choice based recent screen. When i hit back button on my chrome tab, i don't need to go through list of 5 previous web pages i opened and chose the top-most one. It just takes me back to previous page. Its as simple as that.

10. 8394RDS
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2019

8394RDS , Feb 27, 2019 :
    Its not my belief. Its there in Don Norman's classic book on "Design of Everyday things" The virtual world gesture and icons need to be extension to the human habits of real world.
    Thanks for the best wishes. :)

11. 8394RDS
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2019