#PMChallenge MOVE THE QUICK SETTINGS

1. S1542770299472 Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

S1542770299472, Feb 20, 2019 :
    1550664214110.jpg

1550664214145.jpg

A lot of people would agree that with the current size of phone screens these days it's becoming more and more difficult to reach up to the top and pull down the quick settings+notification menu. I do appreciate the "swipe down from anywhere" feature but even once it's been pulled down, the user still needs to readjust their phone inorder to reach the quick settings at the top.

I am proposing that OnePlus makes it optional to the user whether to have the quick settings+notifications menu come down from the top by swiping down OR come up from the bottom by swiping up. In the case of the gesture options you could dedicate the left side to swipe up the quick settings instead of having two sides that go back.

Who are the users?

Because the change will be optional in the settings like the notch display thing, the small change will apply to all users based on preference. It would also be VERY beneficial to users with smaller hands and have difficulty reaching up to select certain options.

What is the proposed function?

Implement an option to have quick settings swipe down from the top or swipe up from the bottom.

What is the user value?

This improves ease of access to the user that makes use of quick settings+notifications menu on a daily basis.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

iPhone has their quick settings from the bottom as well but without the option to choose. Even if they don't like it, so be it. But having the option to choose and personalise is what Android is all about. And simplicity and convinience to the user is I'm sure important to OnePlus.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

2. S1542770299472 Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

Attached Files:

3. Kagasama Donut Feb 20, 2019

Kagasama, Feb 20, 2019 :
    I Suggest that you edit the OP including the images you've uploaded as comment. Makes a better impression.

4. S1542770299472 Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

thank you

5. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 20, 2019

6. S1542770299472 Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

even once it's down it's still a bit of a reach to tap the quick settings

7. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 20, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 20, 2019 :
    yes its how Google implemented. you want it to slide from bottom, I don't see that happening because Google will never do it because iOS has similar thing.
    And OnePlus if continue to follow close to stock Android will less likely do anything like that. however you can't use a big device like this with one hand.
    what i don't understand is all these requests for gestures (no offense here),
    we already have bunch of them and all i see is people being lazy just to move their fingers an inch higher to pull down notification bar(no offense here either).

And you can blame taller phones for these problems whoever is facing. but I don't blame the companies since i was the one who decided to buy a tall device.

8. S1542770299472 Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

Google and iOS have tonnes of similar features. I don't understand the point there. Navigation gestures in place of dedicated navigation buttons came from iOS, and even the neat way of selecting multiple images at once in the Gallery by sliding across a row came from iOS (if I'm not mistaken). Just because its used in iOS doesn't make it taboo. The great thing about Android and One Plus is being able to customise almost every bit of the phone so that it's best suited for you. My proposal gives the user the option to either keep it at the top in its original place or have it come up from the bottom. Opening the menu isn't the challenge for some users reaching to the top of the screen to select the quick settings once it's down can be a slight inconvinience.

One Plus releases only one size each time. They don't have a 'Lite' version for small handed users. It's such a great phone! I should be allowed to purchase it and enjoy that OxygenOS, Never Settle experience that you won't get anywhere else even if I have trouble reaching the top. They take a look at the market, they see what works and they make it better in their phones. I'm sure it's an easy implementation too.

I appreciate the challenging questions though...