#PMChallenge - Movies mode for OnePlus offline video player

1. p4k3r
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2019

p4k3r , Feb 8, 2019 :
    Intro and Goal (Proposed function)

1. Add movie mode to OnePlus offline video player.

2. To add subtitle search to the OnePlus Video Player for movies (such that they can search subs for the local movies – maybe on the Websites like opensubtitles.com , subscene.com)

3. Add the capability of subtitles Auto-populate, i.e. using NLP / NLU such that the video player can show subtitles for any recorded/downloaded video. This maybe be achieved through Various NLP toolkits like NLTK or NLU frameworks( Like Rasa etc)

4. Revamp the Overall UX of the existing video player so that it is very user friendly for the movie/video watching users – for e.g. functionality to fast forward video to 10 seconds etc. (This is an additional/extra point, separate as to the whole feature and may be considered if feasible)

Who’s it for ? (Users)

- Anybody who watches movies/videos from the local storage, everyone who uses the OnePlus video player.

Why build it ? (Problem & user value)

- Today, It’s easier to watch videos online (On PC based native/web applications), or on selective mobile apps like Amazon Prime etc. If we can advance and revamp the functionality of the video Player in this manner, users can make full use of the 128+ GB storage and are able to watch all their movies/music videos on android given the high display quality of OnePlus

[​IMG]

Proposed Technologies :

- NLP (NLTK, Azure speech to text API, Amazon Polly, Google Cloud speech-to-text etc)

- NLU (Rasa-Core, IBM Cloud API, Rasa NLU etc)

Competitors of the proposed app:

There is no direct competitor for the proposed app. As a substitute competitor, one can always consider web applications available in PC/Laptop/Tablet web browsers, as no app offers the capabilities to stream offline videos with such functionality. Following may be the indirect competitors :

1)Amazon Prime Videos

PROS :

- Hasa large number of movies available to stream online and hence a large user base

- The User experience is very optimal.

CONS :

- No support for the offline downloaded/recorded videos in the gallery.

Attached Files:

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 8, 2019

dsmonteiro likes this.
  3. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 8, 2019

KeepTransisting , Feb 8, 2019 :
    Truth. Plex does all of this and is amazing. I run a Plex server out of my house and I couldn't live without it.

4. p4k3r
    Cupcake Feb 15, 2019

p4k3r , Feb 15, 2019 :
    I'm not sure if plex is able to generate subtitles through NLP of recorded videos. It says movie mode but this is the primary feature I think other users will also love to have.

5. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 15, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 15, 2019 :
    I'm not sure what NLP is. But I'm pretty sure there are good video apps with support for subtitles (they can even download from the internet) and even Plex can do some of it.

6. p4k3r
    Cupcake Feb 18, 2019

p4k3r , Feb 18, 2019 :
    @dsmonteiro (added you just because you liked the above comments )
    So, in this case, this capability is not just for downloading subtitles from the internet(If that was it, any other awesome player would do - Like KMPlayer, VLC etc etc), this is for generating subtitles on the fly like Youtube does. For example, You recorded a video from your camera, now you want subtitles for that, which, obviously won't be available on internet and it takes some time to write subtitles by yourself, so in this case you'll just open the video in the player and the player will do it for you(just the way YouTube does) and I think you are going to agree with me on the fact that YouTube is not a plausible solution for this(Duh!)

@dsmonteiro (added you just because you liked the above comments )