#PMChallenge Native Linux Environment via USB

1. Horuhin_Web Donut Feb 5, 2019

Horuhin_Web, Feb 5, 2019 :
    As all of the readers must know OnePlus is a trademark known for making powerful devices that could outrun any of their competitors. That power could be used to add a Linux-based environment who could be loaded into a Pc via USB or Vnc . There are already apps that do this but you could use this opportunity to get a place into the bussiness costumer area or costumers who want a multitask device by making some office apps exclusive to this environment. The powerful SOC that sustains oneplus devices wouldn,t have problems loading both systems and this feature could sattisfact users who need a big screen or a
    multi-faceted phone.
    Who are the users?
    This idea could be attractive for customers with a high workload that needs a dinamic device or students with gaming tastes.Users who want a comfy gaming device would enjoy this feature as well
    What is the proposed function?
    Loading a Linux-based susbsystem (like ubuntu or android) on desktop resollution via usb or vnc with a special client on PC
    upload_2019-2-5_10-51-41.png
    (Schema explaining basic functions)
    [​IMG]
    (Picture of android x86 , a good example of how this be enjoyed)​
    What is the user value?
    Many users would see this function attractive because they could enjoy a powerful environment on low end hardware. It can be helpful for people which need to wear their work everywhere and still need a keyboard environment and a nice suite of office apps or mobile-gaming in a more comfy way.​
    What is the difference with using apps like Linux Deploy or Img loading apps ? Would this decrease phone´s performance?
    The main difference would be that being a native susbsystem , the UX would be smoother an faster. Oneplus could also develop a suite of apps that could make them unique at a competitive price. This environtment would only use system resources while is mounted , the only resource used in idle would be storage​

2. Digita1Err0r Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

Digita1Err0r, Feb 5, 2019 :
    How about buying a raspberry Pi, a foldable keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse? A lot cheaper phone can be used as a phone that way too.

Bouncer71 and BeingIncog like this.
  3. Horuhin_Web Donut Feb 5, 2019

Horuhin_Web, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Raspberry and odroid are nice but you need knowledge to run it properly and they doesn´t have the versatility a good OnePlus phone could give. You can use mobile data too

BeingIncog likes this.
  4. Digita1Err0r Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

Digita1Err0r, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Tbh, if you think installing linux is a skill, imo, one shouldn't risk using one. And, raspberrypi usage is so user friendly that, you can literally ask any person mediocre knowledge can set it up and use.

What's versatile here having to share resources with the host system and the guest OS and there by greatly reducing the productivity, adding load to the cpu? If you want it like windows subsystem style, I'm totally against it. Windows 10's linux subsystem is a cancer!

Bouncer71 likes this.
  5. Digita1Err0r Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

6. nahl Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

nahl, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I'm definitely seconding you on bringing a desktop mode to OOS.

By plugin the phone to a monitor (or a pico projector) we could convert the phone into a helpfull desktop computer.
    Some manufacturer have done it (like Huawei or Samsung) and the problem lies with the android Apps that are not well made for that.

Now, having a linux sub-system could be proven to solve it. And Samsung is tryin that by working with Canonical on the approach. I think OnePlus should definitely not stay out of that game.

Imagine, no need for a laptop when traveling, just a USB - HDMI cable or a Station / Adapter if we need to charge at the same time. and voila. doing slideware, correcting spreadsheet, doing a little bit of coding, or leisurely watching video on a big screen with an adapted desktop experience

papa4narchia and EvanChisholm like this.
  7. papa4narchia Cupcake Feb 13, 2019

papa4narchia, Feb 13, 2019 :
    Unfortunately OnePlus decided, that USB-C to HDMI is not necessary for the OnePlus 6, therefor it is not supported.
    Everything else is there more or less (processing power, RAM, storage, apps emulating a shell or even sort of a desktop) but all is limited by HDMI output missing and we not being able to connect a reasonably large display.

This is why I am considering a Samunsung phone now (even over my still young OnePlus 6 8/256GB model) because of their DEX features.

I came here specifically to look for such a feature request and might add it if I find some time.

Considering that the Snapdragon 845 with 8GB RAM should even suffice to run native Windows 10 (just concerning processing power) I find it a glaring omission, that OnePlus is not looking into these features like being offered by Samung's DEX.

I would really love a portable Linux-shell-like work environment and use my OnePlus for that on a large display with USB-Keyboard and Mouse.

Horuhin_Web likes this.
  8. Bouncer71 KitKat Feb 13, 2019

Bouncer71, Feb 13, 2019 :
    But you still would have to carry around an external keyboard and a bigger screen...
    I don't really see and advantage over a laptop... ;D