#PMChallenge Native Screen Recording

1. pasztorlaszlo Eclair Feb 4, 2019

pasztorlaszlo, Feb 4, 2019 :
    Dear OnePlus,

I'm an Android user, I use Android phones as my daily drivers, but I also have experience with iOS-devices. However I find Android much better in most of the main points, there are some features what I really miss from the green robot OS.

One of them is the native screen recording capability. Since it was introduced in iOS 11, I wish that this feature comes to the Android devices as well. But unfortunately that's not happening, and I see the Android Q news, it won't in the near future.

So here is the chance for you to include this ("new") feature into OxygenOS, and make your OS even more popular and handy. Handy, because now if we want to record the content of a screen as a video with sound, we have to use 3rd party apps. But this feature should be an OS-feature.

Do you remember those videos, where the iOS users record the messages what they send to their friends/girlfriends/bosses/parents etc? People love capturing and sharing the content of their screen, even for chats, creating guides for friends/family, or share the video gameplays on their phones. It's fun and it's useful at the same time.
    You, OnePlus, should make OxygenOS ready to be able to natively record the contents of the device display with sound. Optionally with external voice input, so it would be easier to help a friend to describe and show how to perform a task. And it would be also helpful to create GIFs using this feature.

Who are the users?
    It has to be tested, how much resource this feature needs, but I believe that for recording the screen when no "heavy apps" (like games) are running should go well and smooth basically on every phones, for all of your users. Maybe there could be a limit to allow gameplay-recordings on the devices what are powerful enough to produce a smooth and quality experience on both gaming and recording parallel.

What is the proposed function?
    The user pulls down the notification bar, where the icon/button/toggle of the screen recording feature is located. The user clicks on it, and (depending on the settings) the screen recording starts immediately / in 3 seconds (etc.), with internal / external sound (or with both). When the user wants to stop recording, pulls down the notification bar, and stops the recording with it's icon/button/toggle.

Update for this section:
    I liked the following ideas (from other members who replied to this thread) to expand the functionality of my idea:
    • From SoumyaMahunt: "Creating a persistent notification which has option to stop, pause would be nice instead of stopping it from quick settings."
    • From saadabbasi: "My suggestion is that maybe the recording can be ended in a way that you don't have to swipe down from the notification bar. Pressing the vol buttons or power button can be one solution."
    All these settings could be optional, so the user could choose the preferred way to Start, Stop and Pause recording.

What is the user value?
    People love capturing and sharing the content of their screen, even for chats, creating guides for friends/family, or share the video gameplays on their phones. It's fun and it's useful at the same time.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Apple devices have this capability natively built in iOS since version 11. This feature should be native in Android as well. It isn't, so here is the chance for you to please your customers with this handy and helpful feature.
    It doesn't have to be fancy at all. No. It just should work for it's main task, providing the output in a high quality of OnePlus.

Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen.
    A simple icon/button/toggle of the screen recording feature in the notification panel, which changes to a stop button/icon when the screen recording is ongoing. On a long press the Settings window opens with the related settings.

To start recording:
    PMChallenge - Native Screen Recording - Start.jpg

To stop recording:
    PMChallenge - Native Screen Recording - Stop.jpg

Long press to open related settings:
    PMChallenge - Native Screen Recording - Settings.jpg
    (And for other settings like quality, record as GIF etc.)

Best regards,
    László

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

2. JishnuJJ Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

JishnuJJ, Feb 5, 2019 :
    This is a really good suggestion. There would only be a very few of us who wouldn't have thought if we had a native option to make quick gifs from videos/screen recordings on our OnePlus devices.

3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Screen recording should definitely be built into the system. Good suggestion.

4. Parvind Singh Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

C1547501650371 and EvanChisholm like this.
  5. tushar__mittal Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

EvanChisholm likes this.
  6. D1542404866129 Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

D1542404866129, Feb 5, 2019 :
    I have a Oneplus 6T I would like an option

A kind of note like in iOS

That synchronizes with a Windows and Mac application

The 100% Oneplus application

Manipalla and EvanChisholm like this.
  7. D1542404866129 Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

8. D1542404866129 Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

EvanChisholm likes this.
  9. Y1522421960066 Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

Y1522421960066, Feb 5, 2019 :
    When I used Xperia Z2, I used this function only one or two times. But I would like to have such feature in 1+

10. shezack Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

11. Antoine L Gingerbread Feb 6, 2019

Antoine L, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Notice that Lineage OS recorder app features a screen recorder. It also displays a "flying overlay button" while recording that alows quick controls on the shooting. Maybe your feature can also have it.

12. TibiTibi Marshmallow Feb 8, 2019

13. G_Parthesh_Jadhav_TNSs Honeycomb Feb 9, 2019

14. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 9, 2019

laiosg, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Us it really a feature that most users need? I doubt that tbh. I mean, how many times will the average user even use it? I think including such a feature which will have a finite amount of uses will disrupt the non bloated OOS. It'll be like bloatware

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

KeepTransisting likes this.
  15. TaskerLover Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 9, 2019

TaskerLover, Feb 9, 2019 :
    Great! I was thinking the same thing. If it could be build into the OS then the option for using internal sound and no microphone (external) sound is a must have option. back when I rooted my old phone an app could do that only because of root. but since I started with the 1+2 I did not feel the need to root, and that particular option is really missed.
    I am rocking the 6 now, and my youngest daughter has the 1+2 now.

And more bloatware in the OS?
    There are roms out there that let you choose which apps you want to integrate into the OS right after flashing. and start rom for the first time.
    1+ could have that option for this OS after factory reset to choose such apps. Because 1+ want to test also with a hub for streaming HD or something but that could not be uninstalled they say. allot of people indeed disagree with the not uninstallable hub. But when you have the option to choose apps after factory reset, then it's up for the user. And 1+ can make more apps. ;-)

16. Anonymous Fox Honeycomb Feb 10, 2019

17. rajivkapoor2011 Eclair Feb 10, 2019

rajivkapoor2011, Feb 10, 2019 :
    totally agree with you and is really required.
    i use other apps to record my gameplay and inability to record internal sounds calls for editing headache.

18. SoumyaMahunt Honeycomb Feb 10, 2019

SoumyaMahunt, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Creating a persistent notification which has option to stop, pause would be nice instead of stopping it from quick settings.
    1549816843227.jpg

Also option to record video from front camera while screen recording would be nice too.

pasztorlaszlo and TibiTibi like this.
  19. hennes KitKat Feb 13, 2019

hennes, Feb 13, 2019 :
    The idea is very good, but I expect from a screen recorder that I can start and stop it via gestures, everything that goes via the notification bar on a screen recorder is counterproductive, because the notification bar then also appears in the video at start and end, and that would again mean that you have to cut the video so that the unwanted part comes out of the video.
    Much more important I think, that you can assign a sound or an mp3 file to a screen recorder, which starts at the same time when you start the video. Also important I think, that you can add e.g. a pre-defined small opening credits and a small closing credits directly to the video.

But thanks, great idea.

Hritik2505 and TibiTibi like this.
  20. MichAssel92 Gingerbread Feb 13, 2019

MichAssel92, Feb 13, 2019 :
    Yeah! Great idea.

I don't know if it's possible but adding a live stream capture feature on this idea should be a great idea too.

Aquib1999 likes this.