#PMChallenge - New Gesture For Opening Front Facing Camera

1. Runnerman0421 Cupcake Feb 11, 2019

Runnerman0421, Feb 11, 2019 :
    1.) WHO ARE THE USERS?
    • The users of this function would predominantly be OnePlus 6/6T users, as this new gesture proposal utilizes the notch. However, this could be implemented on the OnePlus 5/5T (assuming they receive the next major software update), and can be used on future OnePlus devices as well assuming they continue to house the camera in the screen whether that be in the form or bezels, notches, or "hole-punch" cutouts.
    2.) WHAT IS THE PROPOSED FUNCTION?
    • With this new gesture system, the front-facing “selfie” camera can be opened from the home screen or the lock screen by utilizing the space where the notch resides on certain devices (OnePlus 6/6T) or under the bezel (OnePlus 5/5T).
    • All the user would need to do in order to go directly to the front-facing camera would be to swipe down from the notch to open the application (or center of top bezel), and then go about in the usual manner to close the application again, whether that be using the screen gestures or the standard navigation bar setup (the latter is shown in the following diagram below).
    [​IMG]
    • This gesture can also be accessed within the lock screen of the device or even when the device is off (like in the diagram below). In order to do this, the process is exactly the same as on the home screen, only when you want to close the application, you would swipe up from the bottom of the screen and the phone would either go back to the lock screen or return to stand-by. Also note, the animation for the ambient display unlock is not in the circular style like on the home screen, rather in a drop-down style, although it would be circular on the lock screen.
    [​IMG]
    • With this, the notch can provide a valid function other than simply being utilized for increased screen real estate, and although this concept was created with notch designs in mind, it is future-proof for hole-punch style camera implementations and can be retrofitted onto devices with bezels as well.
    • As for the status bar and notification drawer that would usually appear when making this sort of “swipe down” gesture, there would have to be a few software tweaks to avoid opening that instead of the camera and vice-versa. This could be accomplished by the software recognizing where the user is swiping on the screen much like in Samsung’s One UI with their version of gestures which mimic the areas where the navigation buttons would be placed. With this in mind, when you swipe from the left or right farthest side of the screen beside the notch, then the usual drawer would open. This is why the camera would only open when the user swipes down on or below the notch, however, you cannot perform this function when swiping from the middle or bottom of the screen as it would still open the drawer. If desired, this new gesture’s usage can also be modified to open the rear-facing camera as well, which means this could theoretically replace the camera icon all together for opening the application in favor of space for increased functionality on the home screen and app drawer.
    3.) WHAT IS THE USER VALUE?
    • As mentioned before, this gesture gives the notch on the OnePlus 6/6T legitimate functionality other than housing the front facing camera, notification LED, phone speaker, etc. and streamlines the user experience by providing a simple gesture as a replacement for another icon taking up space on the lock screen, home screen, and app drawer.
    • This added function could also improve the aesthetic of the devices’ designs in a way, as the notch would no longer be viewed as simply a “useless cutout” at the top of the screen that some critics view as a visual hindrance from a design standpoint. This gesture could even be a suitable alternative to the notch “hiding” function, as that particular customization provides no real function other than changing the appearance of the display.
    4.) IF THERE ARE EXISTING COMPARABLE FUNCTIONS IN THE SMARTPHONE INDUSTRY, HOW IS YOUR PROPOSED FEATURE SUPERIOR?
    • Although there is currently no smartphone that uses this exact gesture to open the camera, Samsung’s recently-released A8s allows users to swipe from the top left-hand corner of the screen where the “hole-punch” camera resides to open the application. However, it seems that this can only be accomplished in the phone’s lock screen and nowhere else, and this gesture cannot be modified to perform added functions if desired like it would with this proposed concept.
    • Along with this, there are countless other smartphones that have notches and camera holes in their designs that are considered intrusive in nature, and this proposed concept can display how this is not the case with OnePlus smartphones. Instead, the gesture can show that this supposed disadvantage can become an advantage for the users' software experience.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

2. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Feb 11, 2019

Shivang Joshi, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Hello,

Welcome to the OnePlus Forums.

The images you have posted are broken. Please use the browser to edit the post and add those images again.

Runnerman0421 likes this.
  3. Runnerman0421 Cupcake Feb 11, 2019

Thanks for the heads up! I just finished re-uploading the photos, hopefully they're now visible. If not, I'll have to find another way to upload them with this thread, but any help would be appreciated!

4. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 11, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Though I understand what you mean. But wouldn't it be easier to just use the double tap the power button as it's more reachable?

5. Runnerman0421 Cupcake Feb 11, 2019

Potentially yes, but I have found that I and some other users accidentally power off the phone trying to open the camera that way. Also, this gesture, as I mentioned in the thread, could replace the camera icon all together in some scenarios. This gesture is also sort of an asthetic approach, as it gives something that some would consider useless (that being the notch) an actual function. Of course, I imagine that this could be "remapable" or could be disabled entirely in the settings if it was implemented.

6. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 13, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 13, 2019 :
    Still not visible, I'm afraid. I would consider uploading them to imgur instead.