#PMChallenge - OCR in screenshots/camera images

1. ajaydhavane
    Gingerbread Feb 9, 2019

ajaydhavane , Feb 9, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    Basically everyone. Especially students.

What is the proposed function?
    The ability to scan a screenshot or a camera picture (could be applied to any image but I'm not sure how difficult that would be) for text. The option could be included in the list of options/actions defined for an image. Once the scan is complete, users should have the option to select text. Goes without saying that this text can be copied and pasted. The function is similar to what we can do in Google Chrome or any browser but applied to images. Additional options on the selected text could be: Search in Google, Translate, Use in the Phone app, etc.

What is the user value?
    Currently, you can scan an image for text using 3rd party apps like CamScanner. The objective is to avoid that and enhance what the app can do. Users can copy text like phone numbers, account numbers or anything that is important and make a text file/note quickly. I, myself, run into situations where I face this problem and I need to get a pen to write things down.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

There are none. There are apps using which you can scan for text, but they do not include all the functions mentioned above.

Q1569106922963 and Atharva_Bagad like this.
  2. v0 HaVoK 0v
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 9, 2019

v0 HaVoK 0v , Feb 9, 2019 :
    Isn't there a Google app that can do this?
    Edit : it's called Google goggles, but it seems this app is no longer on the play store

3. ajaydhavane
    Gingerbread Feb 9, 2019

You're right. It's called Google Lens now and is in-built in Google Photos app. Now the thing I'm not sure is whether or not this feature is available in every phone or just the Pixel line of phones. In any case, I'm not a big fan of Google Photos as a gallery app. I have a Pixel now and I hate it. I downloaded a different gallery app just to browse through pictures. Also, Photos does not come as a system app in OnePlus (I think) and to use Google Lens, you need it. So it'd be nice to have this feature as an in-built feature.

4. UmairBhayat
    Froyo Feb 9, 2019

UmairBhayat , Feb 9, 2019 :
    I'm not sure about the stable build, but the open beta on my 5t has Google lens integrated in the camera app.

5. ajaydhavane
    Gingerbread Feb 9, 2019

I wasn't aware. It'd be cool if they roll out the feature in the stable official build! Thanks for the info!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

6. Subhamay Baidya
    Cupcake Nov 22, 2019

Subhamay Baidya , Nov 22, 2019 :
    Cam scanner does it as well as some more apps available out there called ocr but if it's built in device then it's really helpful.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019