#PMChallenge OLED notification

1. JeyM Cupcake Feb 10, 2019

JeyM, Feb 10, 2019 :
    INTRODUCTION

My proposition is to use the OLED display to notify the user when the phone is on stand by.

The users will mainly be the one that bought the OnePlus 6T (with the lack of notification LED), but since borderless screens is now the way go to, this feature could be implemented on all your future phones.

The user value is clear, he can leave his phone on his desk, table, kitchen, and just by looking at the phone, konws if he has a missed call, messages, etc. It is also less power consumption than unwake the phone to see the notifications, and also less power consumption than a fully "Always-On" feature.

The feature can be done by third party apps but it's not well integrated, because with third party apps you lose the stand-by screen display of OnePlus, the double tap to wake, the single tap to show the stand-by screen display which need to be compatible with the On-screen OLED notification. Also it will be very very easy to program for OnePlus.

IMPLEMENTATION (PARAMETERS)

At the exact same position than the old "LED notifications" settings on the "Display" section with a new option to activate or deactivate the feature. And since this feature use the OLED display we can select any color with RVB or Hex code, exactly like the "accent color" options in the "Display" section.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Futhermore, every app can have a custom color thought the "Per app notification" menu, but also add differents notifications colors for the same app by text detection thought the notifications. A notification has always the same pattern [APP NAME - COMPLEMENTARY INFORMATION], the feature could just read the COMPLEMENTARY INFORMATION after the APP NAME.

Example : Thought WhatApp my best friend multiple user conversation is called "Buddies"
    - The OLED notification can be set to green on all WhatsApp conversations
    - The OLED notification can be set to light green on my "Buddies" conversation by detecting the name "Buddies" set in the parameters

Under the "Parameters" section you could :
    - Adjust the global position of the OLED notification (up, down, middle, center, anywhere)
    - Select the pattern (line, up and down, zig-zag, etc)
    - Select the speed of the OLED notification position change (0.5s, 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s)
    - Select the aspect of the OLED notification (fixed, glowing effect, etc)
    - Select the shape of the OLED notification (round, square, triangle, app notification logo)
    - Maximum activation time (never, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc)
    - Sleep mode YES / NO (deactivate the feature while sleeping by setting the time ; ex 11pm - 7am)

IMPLEMENTATION (SCREEN)

On the stand-by screen, the notification must move to avoid burning of the OLED display. This is the point of the "pattern" parameter.

This example shows a red mail notification with the following parameters :

Position : up - Pattern : zig-zag - Speed : 2s - Aspect : glowing effect - Shape : round

[​IMG]

This example shows a red mail, blue message and green WhatsApp notifications with the same parameters as uppon :

[​IMG]

We will use the following questions to scrutinize your pitch:

From the Product department – does it contribute to a burdenless experience?

The user will be pleased to know if he has notifications by just looking at his phone. And with the personnalisation of the color he instantly choose if it's urgent for him or not.

From the developers - how will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?

The OLED notification feature will interact with the notifications and the stand-by screen, allowing the user to seemlessly use the double-tap to wake and single-tap to see the stand-by screen.

From UX Design – what will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?

As simple as it can be. It's more or less the same flow as the LED notifications settings of the OnePlus One / 3 / 3T / 5 / 5T / 6 ​

2. xnutzii KitKat Feb 10, 2019

xnutzii, Feb 10, 2019 :
    That is a very good suggestion! I was thinking about something like this too, but I didn't want to open a new thread regarding this. Great Idea.

3. ArcadiyKulchinskiy Froyo Feb 11, 2019

4. Txmj122 Froyo Feb 11, 2019

Txmj122, Feb 11, 2019 :
    I thought about this myself. It's definitely necessary because the notification LEDs helped me so much in the past not missing anything Important.

The notification light should not be illuminating the exact same pixel though as it would cause burn in. It should shift around a little bit after a while -but it doesn't need do abrasively move like shown in the post. Even with a setting where it just stays in the same spot just using a small cluster of pixels in that spot one at a time that would be better.

Like Samsung's ambient display, it changes locations only slightly. It's subtle and you don't notice it but it's very affective

_Arundhati_ likes this.
  5. JeyM Cupcake Feb 12, 2019

JeyM, Feb 12, 2019 :
    Even on Samsung for what I saw they move to 3 main positions up, center and down. But yeah you could protect even more the screen by moving the notification slightly time after time.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

_Arundhati_ and Txmj122 like this.
  6. Franck Gut. Gingerbread Feb 19, 2019

7. donotresuscita Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

8. Joshuadjohnson22 Donut Feb 21, 2019