#PMChallenge One-handed mode for oneplus devices

1. SoumyaMahunt
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

SoumyaMahunt , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    Every one with current and future oneplus phones as thay get larger in size.

What is the proposed function?

There are times when user wants to interact with top elements in a device and unable to reach it,this might uelp them to bring the screen to a smaller size with a familiar gesture.

What is the user value?

Make upper parts of the apps to be interactable and make large smartphones to be usable by small hand.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

The One-handed mode have been existing in iphones for ages, many android manufacurers like samsung, xiomi, oppo and vivo offer this feature but my suggestion can be better if given more customisation options,like if the size of the window when it is reduced to be customizable by users, Edge gesture triggers the reduced screen attached to that edge, also multiple type of reduced windows to be set by user for multiple gestures(atleast two would be nice)(i.e 7ser only wants to reduce the vertical height for sometimes, and for another reduce both horizontal and vertical size, also trigger one handed keyboard with gesture to make it difficult for others to know what you are typing.

Logic behind the product:
    Suppose i im in an appwhere i want to access the other pages the app offers other than the default page,i have to interact with hamburger menu or 3 dots menu to usually do that which are normally placed on the top level of the app. To click on them with a large phone i have to use my other hand which might not be free slide the phone a bit down in my palm which has danger of slipping the phone out of hand and damaging it. With this users would be able to make all parts of the screen reachable within their fingers. Also there are privacy scenarios where i want to look at something or type in my password, with the screen becoming larger it is easier for other users to see what i type. By reducing the screen and dimming the brightness a bit it makes it difficult for them to see but for me it's recognizable.

Some images to show how itbworks in real life, also link to videos on how it works:

note3shrink-hero.jpg th (1).jpeg

Attached Files:

• th.jpeg
      th.jpeg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:

2. pmoppy
    Froyo Feb 4, 2019

pmoppy , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Yup agree would love to see this, Xiaomi do a great job with it

SoumyaMahunt likes this.
  3. SoumyaMahunt
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

Thanks.

4. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 4, 2019

5. actian
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

actian , Feb 4, 2019 :
    To be honest I would prefer something like Samsung's One UI where you don't get everything smaller, but all UI is designed to be used with one hand.

SoumyaMahunt and Peybro like this.
  6. SoumyaMahunt
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

My problem with one ui is you are putting a great estate of the screen useless with title and it looks quite ugly and non-functional, also you have to modify a great deal in os to acheive that which will reduce the sweet update timing we have in oos and it won't work with all of the apps too.

7. KeepTransisting

KeepTransisting , Feb 4, 2019 :
    The advantage that one-handed mode has over the One UI is that you get a smaller screen for all apps. so if you're playing a game or using an app that insists on having all the buttons at the top, this can help.

SoumyaMahunt likes this.
  8. actian
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

actian , Feb 4, 2019 :
    True, but in presented approach you get 2 black bars which look even worse IMO. Perfect solution would be to be able to enter this one UI mode easy way. I realise that it requires a lot of work.

True, but I've never considered gaming as something I would use one handed mode for. Well ideally I would force app designers to think about UX when designing their aps.

9. KeepTransisting

KeepTransisting , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Agreed, but some developers will never change. Hell, a different forum that I frequent completely got rid of their bottom navigation buttons with their new update, making the site completely unusable one-handed on a large screen phone.

10. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Feb 4, 2019

Bouncer71 , Feb 4, 2019 :
    So what's the use of a big screen if content is only displayed on ⅔ ...?
    There's already a one handed mode for keyboard...

1549316890635.jpg

meatandy likes this.
  11. meatandy
    Oreo Feb 4, 2019

meatandy , Feb 4, 2019 :
    Small hands , small feet ....well you can see where this is going. :p

mekartikshah and Bouncer71 like this.
  12. Bouncer71

Size Zero Smartphones...? ; )

meatandy likes this.
  13. SoumyaMahunt
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

I know about one handed keyboard, what i request is a gesture to launch it by default instead of the usual one.

14. SoumyaMahunt
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

The one handed mode will be of temporary use so u don't have to tolerate the ugliness all day, one ui isn't gonna cut it.

15. Bouncer71

1549318184991.jpg
    This is not acceptable.....

actian likes this.
  16. actian
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

actian , Feb 4, 2019 :
    I wish I could have smartphone < 6 inches, but it's not topic for this discussion. [e]1f602[/e]. Anyway, I would like it to be also done in nice to eye way. Approach with black bars looks like workaround for developer options...

SoumyaMahunt likes this.
  17. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 4, 2019

18. SoumyaMahunt
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

Why?? Is it the black sidebars??, i think black sidebars would be nice why need to light up pixels you aren't using.
    Black side bars can help you use your device in one hand mode when you have low battery and away from charger as the small screen size will consume less battery.

19. Bouncer71

it's just wrong....
    And I'd never use it....

actian likes this.
  20. jpxdude
    Froyo Feb 5, 2019

jpxdude , Feb 5, 2019 :
    I was about to post this idea. I am 100% behind it, and I feel this is a feature missing from OxygenOS that could make it almost perfect.

I think it should work similar to the Samsung implementation, and let you switch sides (determined by if you are left or right handed), or better yet, allow some dynamic resizing. I would activate this feature around 60% of the time in my own usage, which is mainly with social media, messaging and emails.

I hope this feature becomes a reality soon!

SoumyaMahunt likes this.