#PMChallenge - One-Tap Notification Panel Shortcuts and Scanner built into Camera App

1. alishan212
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2019

alishan212 , Feb 20, 2019 :
    My idea revolves around accessing crucial applications as quickly as possible, and having a scanner app built right into the camera. Two separate features, but ones I think most will find super convenient to use.

Alright, so first and foremost the One-Tap Shortcuts:
    1. Who are the users? Pretty much every OnePlus user. I've always longed to be able to access apps like calendar and my settings without having to pin them on the home screen. I'm sure users who're able to just glance at their phones will find this feature extremely useful. Moreover, it's a very convenient way to jump to, let's say calendar, when we're using another app to set up sudden appointments, etc.

2. What is the proposed function? I think this is best explained through pictures:
    Accessing the calendar by tapping the date displayed on the top left part of the notification panel:
    cal_short.jpg
    Jumping straight into sound settings by tapping the phone alert mode indication of the notification panel:
    sound_short.jpg

Moving to the display controls by tapping this brightness icon in the notification panel:
    Brightness_short.jpg
    There's many other direct shortcuts that can be set up similarly, including jumping to phone SIM settings by tapping the network icon on the top right side of the notification panel.

3. What is the user value? Convenience. This feature is in keeping with OnePlus' Fast & Smooth Experience. Being able to glide to my calendar, or even my sound/brightness settings for that matter, from any other app I might be using seamlessly is very appealing to me.

4. There's no existing feature in the industry, or at least, I don't know of such features.

Moving on to my next proposed feature: a built-in scanner feature into the camera app.
    I'm flustered with having to use third party scanner apps that more often than not leave behind a footer or a watermark in any jpeg or pdf file I want my phone camera scans in. Getting rid of those takes a lot of extra effort, which can be avoided if there's a scanner feature built right into the camera app. We can customise the footers/watermarks we want, if at all we want any. This will give us complete power over whatever we need to scan, and we don't have to worry about third-party apps spying on our data.

1. Who are the users? Again, everyone. Being able to quickly scan and e-mail an important document from my phone itself is something I'd very much rely on all the time. I'm having to go through several extra steps right now on third-party apps for the same to make my scans more formal and concise.

2. What is the proposed function? A scanner functionality built right into the camera app:
    scanner_short.jpg
    A separate category, alongside 'Video', 'Photo', etc. dedicated to scanning. Whatever we scan can maybe show up in a new tab as shown on the right image.

3. What is the user value? Safety, convenience, and necessity. We always are in need to scan our documents. Maybe our passports, or marks cards, or even an assignment that's due tomorrow which our friends have completed. This feature will undoubtedly come in handy for all users at some point or another.

4. How is this feature superior than existing apps? Control. We as users will have full control over how the pdf is generated, and what is printed on the pdf. We won't have to deal with ads popping up whenever we open the app, or worry about unsolicited footers and watermarks. We also won't have to pay subscription fees just to be able to scan our files with peace of mind and without intrusion.

My mindset behind approaching features is convenience and security. Without these features I feel I'm settling for some lesser options. As a OnePlus user, I can't do that now can I? xD