#PMChallenge - OnePlus Cab Finder

1. PrabhatNagpal Donut Feb 15, 2019

PrabhatNagpal, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    • There are many users in India who use Cab booking apps like Uber and Ola (mostly these 2 apps) for commuting.
    • Based upon my observation, 6 out of 10 people, would be trying to book cab from the app which gives lower price than the other app. This leads to a situation where they would be switching the 2 apps to check which gives them the lower price.
    • Some users prefer time to be a higher priority and some prefer money.
    • Target users are those who are trying to book cab.

What is the proposed function?

The proposed function of the app is to provide the user with the best choice of cab to be booked based upon his/her:-
    • Preference of Choice (Eg: Ola or Uber)
    • Priority selection (Eg: Hurry or Cost Effective)
    • Comfort Criteria in Choice (Eg: Shared or Full Booking; if Full, then Normal or Prime class)

What is the user value?

This all-in-one Cab Finding App designed for OxygenOS will book an optimal choice of cab for the user, thus removing the burden constraint of always switching apps to find the cab which maximizes the benefit and fits the user’s requirements.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

There are some apps in the smartphone industry where I have seen somewhat comparable functionalities to my idea.

But my proposed feature would be a superset of those existing functionalities, because it would give result purely based upon user’s choice of requirements and not by prediction.

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented

Logic: It works by hitting various APIs designed by Ola and Uber but the catch here is, the UI of that new featured app of OxygenOS in the frontend is calling those APIs at the backend.

Please refer the below example which shows a simple implementation of booking or cancelling a share/pool cab.

Implementation (A Simple Demonstration):

In this simple demonstration to show how the things actually work, please have a look at the following screenshots:-

Uber Screenshot Ola Screenshot
    upload_2019-2-15_13-25-47.png

If we want to merge the UI of both the apps in one single app, there should also be some other parameters defined for the API.

For booking a cab, the booking API needs 2 necessary parameters, Pickup Location (Source) and the Drop Location (Destination)

The Actual Working of the Application:
    1. The user opens the application and enters his Pickup Location and Drop Location through the specially designed UI with Google Maps Integration.
      upload_2019-2-15_13-35-42.png
    2. User can select both Cost Effective and Shorter Waiting Time for an optimal choice of cab among Ola and Uber.
    3. Next, there are 3 types of cabs a user can select from: Shared, Personal or Premium

Comparison Chart
      upload_2019-2-15_17-1-1.png

4. If user selects Shared cab type, then a popup will appear asking for the number of persons for whom, cab is being booked.
      upload_2019-2-15_16-58-10.png

5. After choosing the number of persons, when Confirm Booking Button is pressed, the algorithm working behind the UI gives priority to lowest cost between Ola and Uber, and books the cab for the user.
      If Cost Effective switch is on, then priority is always given to cost even if Shorter Waiting Time switch is on.
    6. In case of Personal cab type selected, the search is not just limited to small or normal cabs, it will search for Premium cabs too in case the search gets the lowest price in premium segment cabs.
    7. In case of Premium cab type selected, the search is limited to premium cabs only.

If such prototype of Cab Finder featured application in implemented and added to OxygenOS, it will be highly beneficial for OnePlus Users.

Attached Files:

2. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 15, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 15, 2019 :
    why?
    why not use available services?
    I don't see why OnePlus should use their resources in such a thing? its. smart phone company not cab services company.

3. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 15, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Google maps already does that.

4. PrabhatNagpal Donut Feb 15, 2019

Google Maps shows very less prices of cabs. I checked google maps it showed ₹120-₹230 for Ola and it turned out to be ₹458...My idea is for helping find optimal cab using exact prices.

5. PrabhatNagpal Donut Feb 15, 2019

Its not for booking cabs, its for finding optimal cab using existing APIs of Ola and Uber FYI

6. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 15, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 15, 2019 :
    still why not use their own apps, i still don't see why OnePlus should invest their resources on something thats already possible by respective cab services.
    to find optimal pricing even the app has to use ola and uber servers and google maps api so how is it different?
    OnePlus cannot build own infrastructures to do same.

7. AtomicEntity Gingerbread Feb 15, 2019

AtomicEntity, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Why should Uber and other cab services share their data with Oneplus? This is impractical idea.

Shapeshift3r, Liehjan and LegolasX like this.
  8. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 15, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 15, 2019 :
    exactly.

9. Bouncer71 KitKat Feb 15, 2019

Bouncer71, Feb 15, 2019 :
    I wouldn't get very far for that amount with any service around here... 8(

A 5 km ride is around 12- 15€ ≈ 1000 - 1200 INR...

Shapeshift3r, Bobbie63 and YRJ like this.
  10. PrabhatNagpal Donut Feb 15, 2019

Hey, you are misunderstanding my idea. Its not about OnePlus Cabs, its about using my idea as a medium to search between Ola and Uber cabs. My idea is just a search algorithm to prevent users from keep on switching between Ola and Uber apps for best cab choice.
    OnePlus doesn't need to build any infrastructure for this.
    Don't you use google sign in, same way 3rd party app for searching optimal cab between Ola and Uber.

11. PrabhatNagpal Donut Feb 15, 2019

Guys, this idea was originally discussed by Szymon Kopec in 2018 AMA Discussion in New Delhi. I just gave a more broader perspective for implementing what was discussed in AMA.
    I know you all are not in support for this idea but I think its not very clear to you or may be some details I gave are confusing you like it has already been implemented or it is breaching data privacy.
    But really guys, believe me its not meant to be going in the wrong side. It is beneficial.

YRJ likes this.
  12. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 15, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 15, 2019 :
    i understood correctly what you meant.
    what i am asking is will ola and uber share their data with OnePlus?
    also how will OnePlus access their services simply?
    and if they don't provide the services will OnePlus establish own infrastructures?

13. YRJ KitKat Feb 15, 2019

YRJ, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Good job! Nicely presented :D
    the efforts you put in are clearly visible.
    Well done.
    Also, what you state- 'Google's job isn't the best in this case' is true!

Without taking any credit from your entry,
    It would only be possible if both services (Ola and Uber) are constantly running and that would eventually effect battery. So do you have any workarounds?
    Plus it requires a cooperation between ola, uber and OnePlus. So that's something!

PrabhatNagpal likes this.
  14. Blue-agila Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 15, 2019

Blue-agila, Feb 15, 2019 :
    That gave me a good laugh. Im sure that Uber & Ola would be over the moon

15. The1Lion Lollipop Feb 15, 2019

The1Lion, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Couldn't both apps be open in split screen to compare? Also does the price change that much from the first time you checked to when you return to the app? Here in the States if I use Uber and Lyft I can open both apps and check prices and then book based on my preference. Not much switching between apps for that.

Not trying to shoot you down, but what is this going to accomplish? Hours of work to save a few seconds for the end user?

Shapeshift3r and Android450 like this.
  16. Bobbie63 Lollipop Feb 15, 2019

Bobbie63, Feb 15, 2019 :
    That's cheap. :p

Bouncer71 likes this.
  17. PrabhatNagpal Donut Feb 15, 2019

Thank you so much for supporting my idea. Actually, Ola or Uber won't be running in background. My application will hit the APIs designed by Ola and Uber.
    Like when you use Google sign in or Facebook sign in, in some 3rd party app then Google or Facebook app don't run in background, my proposed application is like that only.
    You won't even need to have Ola and Uber apps in ur phone.
    Thanks for understanding my idea. Really appreciated. [e]1f44d[/e]

YRJ likes this.
  18. PrabhatNagpal Donut Feb 15, 2019

There are always 3rd party integration APIs developed along with releasing the application on Google Play Store.
    Just check out these 2 links. They have even provided documentation for the APIs.
    https://developer.uber.com
    https://developers.olacabs.com

19. YRJ KitKat Feb 15, 2019

YRJ, Feb 15, 2019 :
    Okay in that case you already have a solution download "Tapzo" it does exactly what you want OnePlus to do.
    The app is just the way you have illustrated above. What's more? The provide you offers too.... and are always accurate.
    Good idea, pretty helpful but a dedicated all exists :)

Welcome and have a great day ahead!

20. LegolasX Jelly Bean Feb 16, 2019

LegolasX, Feb 16, 2019 :
    so you basically want an app labeled OnePlus pre loaded in the phone to do something that you can already do with ola and uber apps?hmm