#PMChallenge - OxygenOS New Multitasking View [English]

1. ZephyrITA Froyo Feb 5, 2019

ZephyrITA, Feb 5, 2019 :
    First of all, I would like to thank OnePlus for giving users so much relevance, listening our criticism and desire about adding new doable functions to OxygenOS in order to at the same time make us happy and improve their operating system.

I introduce myself, my name is Fabio (@FlareZephyr on Twitter) and I have been an happy owner of OnePlus 5 for almost 2 years now. I'm a second-year student in Information Engineering in Padua, Italy, but even though I'm studying science subjects, I've always been a graphics enthusiast. (My english is not the best, I hope you can understand).

After receiving the new update of OxygenOS that brings Android Pie on my OnePlus 5 I saw so many updates made to the GUI and UX. I am very satisfied with this version and the changes made but, as regards multitasking, the new layout makes everything slower and more intricate than before.

With the previous versions of Android the applications forms’ scrolling in multitasking happened vertically. This means that, even for the shape that the phones usually have, there was much more space to see which applications were open, and, consequently, the number of applications displayed was higher.

The transition from one application to another was very fast, since the application form (already opened in multitasking) was immediately identified.
    [​IMG]

With Android Pie what described above changed, the scrolling of the application forms no longer occurs vertically but horizontally, and each form occupies almost the entire functional area of the screen.
    [​IMG]

Comparing last version with the previous one, if on the one hand this allows us to have an overall view of the application and is therefore graphically more pleasant, on the other hand it limits the speed in looking for the form of applications already open.

In the days following the update I have come up with a possible solution in order to improve this aspect: to blend the speed of the previous multitasking with the beauty of the new one. I decided to turn this idea into something tangible, creating a graphic concept.

1. Recreating the statusbar (to make the concept realistic), the single application mockup and inserting the guidelines for the final layout.

[​IMG]

2. Adding other application forms and a button to delete them all from multitasking, and finalizing the concept.

[​IMG]

3. Animating the concept.

[​IMG]

THE FINAL PRODUCT:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The scrolling of the application tabs is still horizontal, but the number of applications displayed on the screen is bigger, going from 4 applications to other 4 applications.

As already mentioned, the concept’s goal is to combine the practicality and speed. The aim is having more applications in the multitasking area without omitting the beauty of graphics introduced by OxygenOS’ multitasking based on Android Pie.

Who are the users?
    All users who use multitasking to speed up their operations with the Smartphone.

What is the proposed function?
    A refresh of multitasking already introduced with a new version of OxygenOS on the OnePlus 5, but also applicable to higher models (5T, 6.6T).

What is the user value?
    Having multiple application tabs opened in multitasking, keeping the speed and the graphic beauty while changing from an app to another.

If there are existing functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Personally I am not aware of other operating systems dedicated to Smartphones that adopt this layout for multitasking, so I think this solution is more convenient and faster than the others.

Here you can also find my second concept for the #PMChallenge: SmartFolders.

Thank you for your patience in reading this thread :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Feb 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Xiaomi already has this. Just that they continue to scroll vertically.

Peybro likes this.
  3. Lu00765 Eclair Feb 5, 2019

ZephyrITA likes this.
  4. Lorenzo Bastianello Cupcake Feb 5, 2019

ZephyrITA likes this.
  5. ZephyrITA Froyo Feb 5, 2019

ZephyrITA, Feb 5, 2019 :
    Thank you!

Lu00765 likes this.
  6. JalananFreak Gingerbread Feb 5, 2019

JalananFreak, Feb 5, 2019 :
    strongly agree with you on this one.

its such a pain multitasking in pie, compared to oreo.
    swiping horizontally is harder to reach the previous apps.

your design combines both the simplicity and can even see the full view of recent apps.
    great idea !

manuel19 and ZephyrITA like this.
  7. CASyHD Eclair Feb 5, 2019

CASyHD, Feb 5, 2019 :
    yeah an option to turn this one would be nice also it would be then just like on the iPad!

ZephyrITA likes this.
  8. FaleshC KitKat Feb 7, 2019

FaleshC, Feb 7, 2019 :
    i could agree more or less but personally I prefer stock Pie recents.
    and i don't have strong feelings that OnePlus would copy Xioami on this one.

ZephyrITA likes this.
  9. zmuuzi Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

zmuuzi, Feb 7, 2019 :
    I was about the post the same idea. I would like to see the old way Nokia Maemo OS did multitasking long time ago. That was classic and perfect. I really miss this feature in Android ... multitasking is so bad...

10. G_Tommy_Irizarry_XxHr Eclair Feb 11, 2019

11. grouperb Froyo Feb 11, 2019

12. ArcadiyKulchinskiy Froyo Feb 11, 2019

ZephyrITA likes this.
  13. ZephyrITA Froyo Feb 11, 2019

ZephyrITA, Feb 11, 2019 :
    I've seen your proposal and I think that your idea is too much "iOS Style" and, personally, I won't like it. I like the Android multitasking "as should be" otherwise it would not be the real stock android, right?. Also I don't see the "older recent apps" function useful in the multitasking, because lots of people will just go to the home and re-open the app.

14. ZephyrITA Froyo Feb 11, 2019

Thank you really much! Help me make it a reality :)

15. grouperb Froyo Feb 11, 2019

grouperb, Feb 11, 2019 :
    What do you mean by "older recent apps"?

My proposal only display actively running apps...

16. ZephyrITA Froyo Feb 11, 2019

With "older recent apps" I mean apps that were running a lot of time ago and that android has not already killed

17. grouperb Froyo Feb 11, 2019

grouperb, Feb 11, 2019 :
    Users are not aware what the OS is doing.

What you are proposing is too much like MUUI 10

https://images.fonearena.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MIUI-10-11.jpg

Oxygen OS recent items page is very much like iOS.
    I doubt my proposal makes it such.

Anyways hope you like it and looking forward to more of your ideas.

18. ZephyrITA Froyo Feb 21, 2019

mahyunk likes this.
  19. mahyunk Froyo Feb 21, 2019