#PMChallenge Power button + Volume Up opens app

1. Avental Donut Feb 6, 2019

Avental, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Holding down the power button and volume down button at the same time takes a screenshot in all phones, but i've never seen, that holding down the power button and volume up button at the same time for example for 0.5s, doing anything. Why not use this combination of holding down those two buttons for 0.5s to open a user selected app i.e. gallery app, YouTube app or any user chosen app?

Who are the users?
    The users can be anyone who owns a OnePlus device, who likes to get their favourite app opened quickly.
    What is the proposed function?
    The proposed function is to easily and quickly open a chosen app of the users liking by using a combination of buttons which has no purpose if held down for 0.5 seconds.
    What is the user value?
    It gives the users more choices on how to open an app without cluttering the device with an extra button.
    If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    To my knowledge there are no other comparable functions.

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented.
    Like the ''Quick activate the assistant app'' feature, where holding down the power button for 0.5s opens the assistant app, the same logic would be used for this feature: you hold down the power button and volume up button at the same time for about 0.5 seconds and the chosen app opens, if the buttons are held longer than that, then the function wont work(app won't open).
    It can be implemented under the ''Buttons & gestures'' settings, where the user can enable or disable the function and choose which app the function opens.
    Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen.
    Attached photos

Does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    Yes it does. The function uses the same buttons that every OnePlus device already has, it doesn't interrupt any other functions and can easily be implemented in to any OnePlus device.
    How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    This new feature shouldn't interrupt any other functions since the combination of buttons isn't used for any other purpose( correct me if i'm wrong). I've heard that some android phones use this combination of buttons to hard reset the phone(not sure if OnePlus phones have this too) and if OnePlus devices do , this feature can still be implemented, since holding down the power button and volume up button for more than 0.5s doesn't serve a function, which means that hard resetting your phone can still be done if the buttons are held down for more than 0.5s.
    What will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?
    The user experience will be easy and clean, no extra clutter(attached photos). Switching this feature on or off will be easily done in the ''Buttons and gestures'' menu. I've added a few pictures to give an example how it could be implemented(pardon my paint skills).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

3tz likes this.
  2. 3tz Cupcake Feb 6, 2019

3. Gibbi03 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

Gibbi03, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Or even just pressing both volume buttons simultaneously since that's not used for anything

4. Avental Donut Feb 7, 2019

Avental, Feb 7, 2019 :
    Basically yes, but power button + volume up feels more natural for me at least.