#PMChallenge - Quick notification actions on Ambient Display

1. Thresh(agr)
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

Thresh(agr) , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Who are the users?
    One plus 6T users and users of future OnePlus smartphones having in display Fingerprint scanner.

What is the proposed function?
    The notification icons shown on the ambient display allow the user to quickly respond to the notifications without having to unlock the phone (like quickly replying to a message,directly dialling a missed call,or replying via message to the person whose call was missed)

Procedure:
    Click the notification icon and drag it to the fingerprint scanner

Either
    1.Directly down
    This unlocks the phone and directly launches the app, which showed the notification
    2.Drag the finger to the quick action and then to fingerprint scanner in a single swipe
    This directly launches the quick action

Example for acting on a missed call notification icon

quick actions.PNG

For dismissing a notification

dismiss notif.PNG

What is the user value?
    Currently the ambient display on OnePlus smartphones have very limited functionality i.e it merely acts as a substitute for a notification LED, the user cannot act on the notification without unlocking the phone and that takes 3 steps
    1.Putting the finger on Scanner at the back of the phone to unlock it after seeing a notification
    2.After unlocking the phone swiping down to access the notification tray
    3.Then clicking on the desired notification to launch the app to perform any action(Like replying to messages).

All these steps can be eliminated and combined into one seamless action of pressing the notification icon and dragging it down to the fingerprint scanner to authenticate user identity to launch the app or perform a quick action.

Existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry
    Motorola smartphones like the Moto G3,Moto X Play etc have a similar function.

How is the proposed feature superior?

The proposed function is much better than the one available on the Motorola smartphones because this function is implemented in a much seamless and fluid way if the smartphone has an in display fingerprint scanner.

Since the mentioned motorola smartphones lack an in display fingerprint scanner ,they have to be unlocked by a pin or a pattern or by lifting the finger from the screen and putting it on the fingerprint scanner which breaks the seamlessness of the process.

V1543277992193 likes this.
  2. V1543277992193
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2019

V1543277992193 , Feb 21, 2019 :
    Basically, exactly what I said. Glad I'm not the only one. You did address the security concern that I didn't.
    I also miss the ability to flick my wrist to turn the camera on. Sooooo much faster...

3. Thresh(agr)
    Cupcake Feb 24, 2019

Thresh(agr) , Feb 24, 2019 :

Thanks man!:)
    Glad to see there are like minded people out there who want this feature

Curious to see what you have suggested
    But i couldn't find your entry in the list though, didn't you ask the moderator to add your entry to the rolling thread?