#PMChallenge - QuickPeel (or Diagonal Bottom Swipe)

1. Isantum Cupcake Feb 4, 2019

Isantum, Feb 4, 2019 :
    #PMChallenge - QuickPeel (or Diagonal Bottom Swipe)

Introduction

When the Android Pie update was released, I wasn't keen on using navigation gestures but decided to use it because of the real estate available. After a few weeks of misclicks and accidents, I was able to use navigation gestures effortlessly. What I did start to miss was the ability to use my Google Assistant. 0.5 seconds on the power button wasn't going to cut for me. There were times I accidentally locked the screen or brought up the power off menu. Therefore, I thought that there should be a faster way. There was of course the possibility of using the Google search bar, but both are different to me. I wasn't bent on finding a solution, but one day, while playing around on the home screen, I decided to swipe diagonally - it worked from the top, but not the bottom. Then it clicked - if I could swipe diagonally from the bottom, I can use it as a trigger to open Google Assistant, or any other app if Oxygen OS would allow me to.

So here it is - QuickPeel or the Diagonal Bottom Swipe

Who are the users?
    People who want to do more on their home screens without losing real estate on their screen.

What is the proposed function?
    The ability to swipe diagonally from the bottom to open Google Assistant, ending the need to use a physical button when using navigation gestures.

What is the user value?
    Saves time as well as the physical power button that would be overused due to constant presses.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
    Every function that launches Google Assistant takes around half a second to activate and another half to open the app. QuickPeel will decrease that little waiting time.

Explain the logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented
    Settings > Button & Gestures > Navigation bar and gestures > QuickPeel; slide to turn on. Under QuickPeel, choose app (Google Assistant is a default). I would like the feature to be present in beta testing and then make its way to newer, more powerful devices and then the older models.

Include directions and details via diagram sketches. Draw each screen and show the flow from screen to screen

https://imgur.com/a/gneEzdn QuickPeel.jpg
    From the Product department – does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    Yes, as easy as it gets.

From the developers - how will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    Not a lot that will change, just that there would need to be a specific differentiation between a vertical, horizontal and diagonal swipe.

From UX Design – what will the user experience be like? Does the current flow result in the optimal user journey?
    Again, no major changes; and yes, the user journey is made optimal, both in terms of software and hardware use.

2. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 4, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 4, 2019 :
    So you basically want an quick access to the google assistance while using gestures?

3. manojgupta1992 Froyo Feb 5, 2019

Gibbi03 likes this.
  4. Isantum Cupcake Feb 13, 2019

Isantum, Feb 13, 2019 :
    The only problem is that many turn off voice features to save battery.

5. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Feb 13, 2019