lift up ---> unlock prompted without any further interaction with the phone ---> [IMG]https://i.ibb.co/8MHv30g/HAND.jpg" /> -->

#PMChallenge Raise to Unlock

1. Federico9292 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

Federico9292, Feb 6, 2019 :
    The main reason behind this request is Speed.

We as users know very well how a 100 or 200 milliseconds means, in terms of smoothness. We also know when we want to unlock the device.
    so, as user, i'd like to have a feature, toggle-able (so anyone that doesn't like it, can opt it out) that can wake the phone, and prompt the unlock screen when the phone is raised from the horizontal position, or the pocket mode is exited (face unlock, pattern, pin code are most suitable for this way to unlock, because the fingerprint work flawlessly with the screen off)

• Who are the users?
      There's no specific target. Everyone could benefit from a smoother experience.

• What is the proposed function?
      A function that upon raising/exiting pocket mode wakes the phone (as in the physical double tap on the screen or a button pressed) allows the user to look at the screen an unlock it more quickly.

• What is the user value?
      The user would benefit from a quicker unlock of the phone, in days where notification are presented to the user frequently, being able to access them more quickly is a considerable added value.

• If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?
      There are third-company apps that emulate this function, but a deeply integrated and tested function is way more trustworthy, and efficient rather than an app.
    Scenario 1 :
    a phone is resting and sleeping on the desk, to wake the display and prompt the unlock screen you simply pick it up.
    device lying horizontally[​IMG] --> lift up ---> unlock prompted without any further interaction with the phone ---> [​IMG]

Scenario 2 :
    you extract from the pocket your phone, and in the time you move it in front of your face, the display has been already wakened and the unlock screen is on.
    [​IMG] ---> pocket mode exited ---> unlock prompted [​IMG]
    I truly hope that this function make it through because I think it's a must have for an OS that is centered on the speed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019

ram4ufriends likes this.
  2. Blue-agila Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 6, 2019

Blue-agila, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Is there not already lift up display option

3. Federico9292 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

that's the Ambient Display, and it doesn't show the unlock screen, just the notifications...

4. Neddard KitKat Feb 6, 2019

Neddard, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Ambient Display shows the fingerprint reader and that unlocks faster than I can type my PIN on the actual lock screen.

5. Federico9292 Eclair Feb 6, 2019

did you imagined that not every user, uses the fingerprint sensor...?
    if you read my first post, it say that this would work better with face unlock, pin code, and sequence...
    the fingerprint unlock, as I wrote, works flawlessly, event with the screen off. so, that's not a fingerprint related request.
    when you lift up your phone from the desk, you cant unlock directly looking at it. this feature fix this aspect, prompting the unlock screen at raise, not just the fingerprint which works without lifting the phone up.

6. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 13, 2019

dsmonteiro, Feb 13, 2019 :
    Have you considered the negative impact on battery life of turning the camera on every time you move the phone? Or the privacy concerns that this might raise?

7. Federico9292 Eclair Feb 13, 2019

Federico9292, Feb 13, 2019 :
    yeah actually I've considered a sensibility to overcome before prompting, hence the "lift" (and not the "move") operation has to occur for the unlock screen to be shown, that is the same "negative impact" of the display ambient.
    display ambient exists, and does not show on every move. just on lift operation. and if I use face unlock every time I want to unlock the device, that's is not a problem. I just related the "ambient mode" lift up to the "face unlock" method of unlocking, so they are both already been tested, in regard of battery drain. if you pick up the phone from the desk, and unlock it with the face, what's the negative impact on the phone? both function exists already! lift -> ambient mode, camera on -> face unlock

for the privacy concerns that this might raise, I do not know what you're referring to. I unlock my phone with my face most of the time and privacy concerns related should have been considered because this unlock method exists so... what privacy concern are you referring to?