#PMChallenge - Reworked Notification Management

1. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 6, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Feb 6, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Hi Friends,
    ever used your notifications? Of course, this is one for you!
    Please view this in your browser, if you can!

What is the proposed function?

In general: A rework for the notification system.

In depth: There are two ideas for this rework.
    I will split this idea up in two sections, the primary and the secondary section. They both work well together, but explaining them at the same time would make everything unnecessarily hard to understand.

Primary:
    Change the look and feel, as well as the behaviour of the quick settings and notification center.
    Secondary:
    Change how the user can manage notifications, customise them etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is the problem?
    The job-to-be-done is to use notifications. You get one, you interact with it, and you want it to be as hassle-free as it can be.
    While that is possible to an extent with the current solution, there is much room for improvement.
    The problem with notifications in one sentence:
    Everything that has to do with notifications feels just too crowded.
    I rebuilt the centre here to show you how crowded it can look, especially the Quick Reply feature.
    Notifications aren't unusable, but more than 3 notifications at once really don't look too elegant. Inline settings (second image) can be super confusing because they are just there inbetween this whole wall of text. Same with Quick Reply, sometimes, the text field is somewhere and doesn't really follow an easy logic.​
    [​IMG]
    What is the solution?
    [​IMG]
    A full re-structuring of the notification and quick settings center.
    This is a major overhaul of most aspects of the interaction with notifications.

A: The basic notification area.

• grouped notifications are now in their own cards
    • there's a small gap between each card
    • removed some redundant elements in the quick settings (they're still going to be accessible, don't worry)
    B: Inline controls
    • focus on the notification that the user has interacted with
    • the inactive notifications, as well as the quick settings, will be darkened out
    • text in the inactive notifications will become placeholders
    C: Quick Reply
    • Quick Reply text field sticks to the keyboard
    • notification content sticks to the text field
    • other notifications will, again, be darkened out and text will become placeholders
    [​IMG]
    D: Expanded quick settings
    • carrier name and Settings shortcut are still here
    • Manage Notifications button doesn't clutter the collapsed quick settings anymore
    E: Clean quick settings when there's nothing to show

Who are the users?
    The idea targets the users out who use the notification centre. It has its focus on the people who have many social apps installed and get a ton of notifications all the time. The rework takes on a very basic feature of the OS, the notifications, so everyone will benefit from it.
    - except for my mom, she never uses the notification centre.
    Also, as more and more iPhone users seem to pour into this community, it's a good idea to give them a good feeling ;)

What will be the workflow?[​IMG]

Workflows here are really the same as they were before. This will be a recurring theme throughout this pitch.

User value
    User value here is really to make the whole notification area easier to use. It's more convenient, emphasis on one element a time makes this a great upgrade for the average user.

Competitors
    In the Android world, there are no competitors to this who I know of. The main competitor will be iOS. With the iOS 12 update, Apple drastically changed how the OS handles notifications. They are now on top of the game, with a well-structured interface.
    With the planned upgrade, this part of OxygenOS will be superior to iOS. Notifications will be just as structured, but the possibilities of Android's base material make the new solution superior.
    [​IMG]

Departments
    Product department – does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    Of course. It makes handling the notifications way easier.

Developers - How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    As this is just a re-design, the existing parts will interact in just the same way as they ever did.

UX Design – What will the user experience be like?
    The user experience will be a lot better. Easier to understand, more beautiful stuff, paired with known workflows, is always good.

[​IMG]

What is the problem?
    Managing notifications right now is a pain. If you open the notification settings for an app, you are greeted by... By what?
    You are greeted by notification channels. They are handy in theory, but the channels lack ease of use and right now, it is really hard to set simple, general notification settings for an app.
    In addition to that, not all apps have proper notification channels, so managing them is pretty much hit-or-miss.

The problem with notification settings in one sentence:
    The settings screen has structural issues which make it hard to understand what they are for and how to use them.

What is the solution?
    [​IMG]
    A full re-structuring of the notification settings.
    This is a major overhaul of the per-app notifications.
    [​IMG]
    A: General settings first
    • possibility to set notifications for the app in general
    • visual explanation of two options, because it's the easiest way to just show what the toggles do
    • advanced settings for channels are still accessible
    • clear hierarchy
    [​IMG]

B: Explanation for features
    • little help icons where they're needed
    • short, easy to understand explanations of channels and a new privacy feature
    • great value for non-pros. For example, there's no Google Help page for notification channels
    C: Face Unlock unlocks notifications
    As seen in iOS, sensitive notification content can be hidden until the phone is unlocked by using your face. Of course, this will not work with Auto Unlock on, so the user will just be prompted to disable Auto Unlock in the Face Unlock settings in order to make use of this feature.​

Who are the users?
    Users are those who want to manage their notification settings. That's not the whole world, but most people will want to have some control here and there.

User value
    User value here is really to make the whole management of notifications easier. Those elements will finally make notification settings clear to everybody, while keeping the possibilities for advanced users. The user knows what they're doing and if they don't know it, there's help easily accessible.

Competitors
    The main competitor will be, again, iOS. Apple has made it super clear what a user can do to manage the notifications per app.
    Again, with the planned upgrade, this part of OxygenOS will be better than iOS. Settings will be just as structured, but the possibilities of Android's base material make the new solution superior.

[​IMG]
    Departments
    Product department – does it contribute to a burdenless experience?
    This overhaul makes managing notifications easier. Especially for average users, this would add great value.

Developers - How will different parts of the existing OS interact with this new feature?
    As this is just a re-design, the existing parts will interact in just the same way as they ever did. Face Unlock will interact well with the new privacy setting too.

UX Design – What will the user experience be like?
    Easier to understand, beautiful graphics, paired with explanations for things that are unclear. This will finally make app settings usable.

Thank you for reading through all of this! I know it's a lot but it would make OxygenOS so much better.
    I'm planning on posting a video of this, for better understand how it would look like.

Image Credits

All concepts have been made by myself. Other parts of my presentation include phone mockups and graphics from external sources. Here they are...
    OnePlus 6T mockup
    OnePlus 6 mockup
    Apple notification centre
    The beautiful wallpaper that you can see shimmering through the notifications

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019

_zso2, salogemann, grouperb and 26 others like this.
  2. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 6, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Wow what a presentation. Well done!
    Seems like a useful features for people who wants more control. It's not really for me but thumbs up anyway for the thread.

3. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Feb 6, 2019

Kagasama, FlixbusLennart and manuel19 like this.
  4. manuel19 Jelly Bean Feb 6, 2019

manuel19, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Awesome Lenni! You put so much work into this and I love it! I really hope that this gets through! :D :D Good luck, fingers crossed! :)

5. General Geyuv Donut Feb 6, 2019

General Geyuv, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Your presentation is really nice. But overall i think that your proposal is kind of unnecessary. OOS has a really tidy notification panel in my opinion, very similar to stock Android, which I like. I'd absolutely hate to see it changed even in the slightest. It's useful and I'm used to it. And I really love how it is right now in general, even in terms of appearance. I think oneplus literally nailed it.
    I also love the way notifications are grouped so I wouldn't like them to change into separate cards
    Congrats for the images though :D

P.S. Did you really even dare compare iOS's notifications to Android's? Android is by far superior already lol

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

laiosg and FlixbusLennart like this.
  6. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 6, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Feb 6, 2019 :
    Thanks for the kind words and your thoughts on it.
    As written in the thread, the recent update to iOS 12 just crushed Android in terms of notifications and management.

I use an iPad every day and the presentation, structure, management etc. of notifications is just beyond what Google provide with Android. It's not as powerful, but it's definitely worth looking at (and copying from) ;)

iOS 11 was bad, but iOS 12 really made advances that went beyond "yeah guys you can group notifications now"

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  7. obol2 Honeycomb Feb 6, 2019

manuel19 and FlixbusLennart like this.
  8. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 6, 2019

Shivang Joshi and manuel19 like this.
  9. devil112 Froyo Feb 7, 2019

FlixbusLennart likes this.
  10. ZaulliK Cupcake Feb 7, 2019

ZaulliK, Feb 7, 2019 :
    What happens if more people post the same idea? I mean i posted the "face unlock, unlocks notification" thingy too. Would they choose it by date (who proposed it first) or can we like team up together?

11. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 7, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Feb 7, 2019 :
    That is one very good question!

12. laiosg Gingerbread Feb 8, 2019

laiosg, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Can I be honest with you? Your presentation is really nice, but I absolutely love how the notifications work in Android right now. I even know some iOS users who (even after iOS 12) changed to Android and praised the notification system. (Android FTW :cool:)
    If anyhting, I think such a change would make things more complicated and less practical. Especially on OnePlus phones, the fans of which are mostly experienced Android users (c'mon, we all know that), such a change would add little value and would simply change something that they have been used to for ages. I, for one, would not like to see such a thing changed for any reason.
    Also the new notification settings you proposed seem more complicated than the old ones, imo.
    And another thing... To be honest, I would rather get a new feature altogether than a simple rework of something. I think this is what OnePlus is going for with this challenge. But then again it could just be just my idea... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Anyway, I feel that I have to congratulate you on the presentation of the post. Even though I completely disagree with the proposed changes, one can see that you've really worked hard on this submission, and you deserve to be congratulated for that!!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

13. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 8, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Feb 8, 2019 :
    Heya,
    thanks for your kind words and your constructive criticism. I agree with you, it's not really a new feature. To be honest, I could not think of a new feature because I don't miss anything major in OOS. It's just that, the more time I spend with iOS, the more I value its notification system. Hence my ideas.
    [​IMG]
    Here's an old vs. new comparison of one of the aspects. The rework really does not look that different, but its beauty is in the details. Imagine having 8 of these notifications on only one of those cards, really confusing wall of text, icons and lines. There's nothing for the eye to take some rest. This would be fixed with those subtle changes.

Concerning my presentation, thank you so much - spent quite some time on this ^^
    Enjoy your day!

AnoopGanesh, Its.Leandroo and laiosg like this.
  14. elhamy201 Donut Feb 20, 2019

elhamy201, Feb 20, 2019 :
    I really support your idea, switching from ios to oos and u feel that notification center is too messy

Kagasama and FlixbusLennart like this.
  15. Kagasama Donut Feb 20, 2019

16. mahyunk Froyo Feb 21, 2019

mahyunk, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Good job with the presentation.
    In less than a week of browsing through this forum, i've seen some amazing ideas and learned a thing or two from you guys
    The small things that matter..... A LOT:)

17. Iamrohit.07 Gingerbread Mar 14, 2019

18. _zso2 Donut May 10, 2019

_zso2, May 10, 2019 :
    I would go beyond.

What I am using today for SELECTED notifications, is a notification widget (NotiWidget - Notifications). It is a full width widget on my home screen, and displays those app's notifications, which I selected. With this functionality, I'm sparing a ton of taps / swipes on my phone, and with that a lot of time.

It looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    The widget has a Clock header, and you could see three notification displayed currently.
    It has only two functions now:
    - Tap to the app name dismiss the notification
    - Tap to the notification itself, doing the action assignet to tap (opens the all with the notification).

I would see a FULL transparent notification widget, with the same functionality, like the notifcation shader has:
    - Swipe actions
    - Tap actions
    - Long tap actions.

What is your opinion on this?